You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gas Barbecue vs Charcoal Barbecue

RedinSweden

Which barbecue?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which barbecue?

• The gas one
    • The charcoal one

now that you have explained a little more about how you're going to use it 3-4 times a week is quite frequent even if only for 2 months of the year, setting up a charcoal bbq that often will be a pain and you'll end up not bothering.

Go gas and get a smoker box, in my bbq thread you'll see one next to the beer can chicken. Just add wood chips to that to add a nice smokey flavour. It's not as good as cooking on charcoal but it's a great improvement on just grilling.

Weber is a very good brand and you can't really go wrong with them, you should be able to get some interesting accessories like the electric rotisserie for grilling your own chicken, they work really well too.

Edit: about operating temps, I'd just store the gas bottle indoors until it's time to use it. The only concern would be ice around the burners blocking the gas from coming through, a quick blow torch would sort that.

The GF has spoken. I can easily grill 3 or 4 times a week on a charcoal one, not the big one that i am now going to get, my nice neat round weber one with one of those fast charcoal startup things, it doesn't take so long

• 1 month later...

Charcoal all the way !

I've been a gas BBQ user for all my life, but one month ago I bought a big charcoal BBQ and I've made my own chimney starter... couldn't find the Weber anywhere.

The taste is real, the heat for searing is amazing and most important... It's fun and it smells good !

You're really lazy if you can't find the time to charcoal on weekdays nights.

It's taking me about 20 minutes to light a whole chimney of coals, so let say that I'm ready to throw the meat on the grates in 30 minutes max.

Last week I fired my gas BBQ a couple of time for a real quick entrée and I felt sort of empty and bored... It lacks some magic ! ;)

This weekend I cooked a huge ham on the rotisserie for more than 6 hours and while the pork shoulder was turning, I did some burgers for lunch and T-Bones for diner.

All you have to do is adding some coals every hour.

That was a great day I'm telling you ! :smile:

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This thread doesn't make sense to me. I'd have a harder time choosing options on a thread titled 'Fleshlight or wet vagina'.

• 4 years later...

Gas is not a barbecue, it's just moving your oven outside.

Bunked off work as it's Friday and about 32degrees. My favourite old ruin pub, Szimpla Kert, is now a fucking tourist attraction. £1.50 a pint and wall-to-wall yanks with cameras. Gutted, had to come to my fallback place

• Upvote 1

Depends how often you see yourself using it.

When the weather's like it has been, yes, even here, we use ours nearly every day. And for that reason, gas is the answer.

Gas is not a barbecue, it's just moving your oven outside.

moving the 'oven' outside is a great thing.

I doubt I could rotisserie a duck in my oven, or use any manner of smoking techniques inside. My oven also does not add that certain 'I don't know what' from charring and grilling.

I suspect most people who vote for charcoals probably use their bbq far less often, as it is much more effort. It's macho to vote for charcoal, but the reality is gas has far more benefits. Besides, it's the person doing the cooking that matters most, not the tool.

Don't get me wrong - if I have someone doing the work for me, then coal. If I'm doing the cooking (and I always am), I'll take the convenience of gas.

• Upvote 1

I suspect most people who vote for charcoals probably use their bbq far less often, as it is much more effort. It's macho to vote for charcoal, but the reality is gas has far more benefits. Besides, it's the person doing the cooking that matters most, not the tool.

Don't get me wrong - if I have someone doing the work for me, then coal. If I'm doing the cooking (and I always am), I'll take the convenience of gas.

Gas is obviously more convenient and practical.

But what good is a bbq if your bangers aren't burnt on the outside and raw on the inside?

That's a real barbecued sausage, that is.

moving the 'oven' outside is a great thing.

I doubt I could rotisserie a duck in my oven, or use any manner of smoking techniques inside. My oven also does not add that certain 'I don't know what' from charring and grilling.

I suspect most people who vote for charcoals probably use their bbq far less often, as it is much more effort. It's macho to vote for charcoal, but the reality is gas has far more benefits. Besides, it's the person doing the cooking that matters most, not the tool.

Coal tastes better every time. If I didn't live with a veggie I'd definitely have a big coal fire outside, not just for BBQ but also for peka and other methods of cooking, plus I'd sit round it at night

I went to bents garden centre the other day, I'm not even into BBQs they or anything like them holds no interest for me, my missus dragged me there but some kind of manly gene kicked in when I seen some of those BBQ machines and pizza ovens and fire pits. I wanted them all. It was like hannibal I'd see the BBQ a clock would start ticking and I'd reconstruct my garden with all this new shit how I'd interact with it and the people, not only would my life improve but I'd improve the lives of those around me who in turn would do the same and it would spread across the planet like a Mexican wave and a new era of peace and tranquility would begin for mankind. My missus said don't be stupid we will hardly use it, its a waste of money and bought a shrub of some sort and bought me a cup of tea instead.

• Upvote 3

Gas is obviously more convenient and practical.

But what good is a bbq if your bangers aren't burnt on the outside and raw on the inside?

That's a real barbecued sausage, that is.

coal adds a certain flavour, but it is the heat that sears the meat, and my gas bbq does that just fine. you can control the temperature much better with gas as well. 

i cook outside about three times a week, which is a lot of bbq meat (and fish and veggies).

• 3 months later...

Finally got my kamado a couple of weeks back. Fucking ace, the oven is only used for storing meat in marinade these days. Knnocked up some excellent fall off the bone baby back ribs (I know this is not 'competition standard, but we were cooking to eat) with a cranberry, cider and apple barbecue sauce - most fucking excellent. Had a butt (pork shoulder in Deep South Q lingo) on low and slow for 13 hours now - not looking too bad:

Posted Image

Fuck gas cookers, coal and wood is where it's at!

• Upvote 2