You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gas Barbecue vs Charcoal Barbecue

RedinSweden

Which barbecue?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which barbecue?

• The gas one
    • The charcoal one

Inspired by the other barbie thread. We are having a big party in August as a housewarming (even though we moved in in December) and I am buying a new big barbecue and I have two choices, a gas one or a charcoal one. I came really close to buying a gas one but balked at a combination of the cost and the fact that it felt a bit gay.

Is this right? To me a barbecue is about making fire, not turning on gas. maybe i am old fashioned, but to me a gas barbecue is just taking a cooker outside. I put it to the GF to choose. I will not go on numbers alone, but quality of voters.

These are roughly the things I am contemplating:

The gas one

weber_genesis_E310.jpg

The large fucker charcoal one with two compartments

Tønnegrill_A_large.jpg

Nothing like a charcoal one, though aesthetically obviously that gas one looks the bollocks.

It's a nice looking thing but the whole shebang with a new gas cylinder will set me back about 400 quid. the other one costs 50 quid. Given that the summers here, splendid though they are, are really, really short. i can understand splurging that cash if you lived in australia, but i am finding it hard to justify it right now. Plus the whole gay thing.

Tønnegrill_A_large.jpg

I have that very beast in the garden and love it. My next door neighbour has a gas one and he shoves his head over the fence to say how much better they smell against a gas bbq.

If you use it a lot and can't be bothered to wait for the coals to heat then get a gas, but the wait is certainly well worth it.

Tempted to try and make a fight of it but no, I just couldn't bring myself to vote for a hob. Remember a charcoal BBQ involves some manskill; it's possible to balls a charcoal one up, hence more kudos for a perfect one.

Sorry gas, your outdoor status should be confined to patio heaters.

Guest ShoePiss
Inspired by the other barbie thread. We are having a big party in August as a housewarming (even though we moved in in December) and I am buying a new big barbecue and I have two choices, a gas one or a charcoal one. I came really close to buying a gas one but balked at a combination of the cost and the fact that it felt a bit gay.

Is this right? To me a barbecue is about making fire, not turning on gas. maybe i am old fashioned, but to me a gas barbecue is just taking a cooker outside. I put it to the GF to choose. I will not go on numbers alone, but quality of voters.

These are roughly the things I am contemplating:

The gas one

weber_genesis_E310.jpg

Tønnegrill_A_large.jpg

RiS do they happen to have a charcoal one like the above but with a cover on it? If so choose that and enter the delightful world of smoked meat. With that offset firebox you'll be smoking huge chunks of caribou before you know it.

Given where you live you won't be doing bbq all year round and it sounds like it will be a bit of an event rather than just outdoor cooking so go for the charcoal.

Gas is a lot more convenient for everyday cooking and the results can be pretty good especially when using a smoker box.

When I lived in the South (cannot bbq in effectively in the North, hard to enjoy it when its -40 and in the summer the mozzies are horrendous) I broke down and bought a gas bbq- actually it ran off propane tank as we didn't have the gas line yet. You have to buy two propane tanks in case one runs out and it was no fun, I felt neutered cooking on it.

I love Hibachi's- simple, portable, fun to put together not like a fucking gas bbq that took me days (the Home Depot actually assembles the fuckers for you now). The best chicken legs you'll ever have come off a hibachi.

okay - i'm going to make a stand for gas bbq's

1.) if you like to bbq all year round, multiple times a week and stand outside like a real man in the cold and rain, then it is much easier to get a gas bbq going than charcoal. for people who just want to impress all their friends once or twice a summer, you would go for the charcoal (remember you have to clean it !)

2.) it's not an outdoor 'cooker' because i dare you to add smoke (in the form of wood or herbs) to your indoor one without getting the fire department round. do you really want everything you cook to taste/smell like charcoal ? i can control this by adding woodchips / herbs / anything....the food tastes like the food is intended to.

3.) when it is summer and it is hotter inside than out, which 'cooker' would you prefer to use then ?

charcoal is great, but gas has some big advantages.

it's more about the cook rather than the tools you use to cook with that count.

Guest ShoePiss

1.) if you like to bbq all year round, multiple times a week and stand outside like a real man in the cold and rain, then it is much easier to get a gas bbq going than charcoal. for people who just want to impress all their friends once or twice a summer, you would go for the charcoal (remember you have to clean it !)

2.) it's not an outdoor 'cooker' because i dare you to add smoke (in the form of wood or herbs) to your indoor one without getting the fire department round. do you really want everything you cook to taste/smell like charcoal ? i can control this by adding woodchips / herbs / anything....the food tastes like the food is intended to.

3.) when it is summer and it is hotter inside than out, which 'cooker' would you prefer to use then ?

it's more about the cook rather than the tools you use to cook with that count.

Exactly, also remember that the people that say things like gas is for women probably don't know the first thing about cooking anything and just like playing with fire :) That's a great hobby but I like to eat decent food too.

it's more about the cook rather than the tools you use to cook with that count.[/QUOTE]

Sadly my wife says something similair after sex...

I'm from a long line of useless and impatient bbqers- if i had to smoke something for 14 hours, or even 3 hours I couldn't do it and seeing as I usually consume a beer every 15 minutes bbqing I'd quite probably pass out before it's ready. My dad was famous for his black charred chicken as he called it. We smothered it in Kraft BBQ sauce.

However, this weekend I am going to try that beer can chicken, I've heard raves about it. And the LCBO here sells individual cans so I can sacrifice a can of Bud or something; can't imagine letting half a can of Heineken go.

• Upvote 1

Exactly, also remember that the people that say things like gas is for women probably don't know the first thing about cooking anything and just like playing with fire :) That's a great hobby but I like to eat decent food too.

Are you one of those BBQ Nazi's that won't let anyone near their grill?

My Italian mate was like that, you couldn't go within a 4m radius of his BBQ. And God forbid if you ever said something like, 'Vic, that sausage there looks done I'll have it'... he'd get very insulted.

Guest ShoePiss

it's more about the cook rather than the tools you use to cook with that count.[/QUOTE]

Sadly my wife says something similair after sex...

I'm from a long line of useless and impatient bbqers- if i had to smoke something for 14 hours, or even 3 hours I couldn't do it and seeing as I usually consume a beer every 15 minutes bbqing I'd quite probably pass out before it's ready. My dad was famous for his black charred chicken as he called it. We smothered it in Kraft BBQ sauce.

However, this weekend I am going to try that beer can chicken, I've heard raves about it. And the LCBO here sells individual cans so I can sacrifice a can of Bud or something; can't imagine letting half a can of Heineken go.

That's the one problem with beer can chicken, beer in cans is shite and I just won't drink it, needless to say there are 5 cans of beer in my fridge that won't get consumed until a lager drinker arrives. I haven't found a place that sells cans in singles. Those 40's that I've seen tramps drinking are a little too tall.

You're in luck on the time taken for beer can chicken, it should be done in under 3 hours. Just makes sure you're using indirect heat and have a water bottle handy just in case there are any flame ups.

Guest ShoePiss
Are you one of those BBQ Nazi's that won't let anyone near their grill?

My Italian mate was like that, you couldn't go within a 4m radius of his BBQ. And God forbid if you ever said something like, 'Vic, that sausage there looks done I'll have it'... he'd get very insulted.

stay the fuck away from my bbq

That's the one problem with beer can chicken, beer in cans is shite and I just won't drink it, needless to say there are 5 cans of beer in my fridge that won't get consumed until a lager drinker arrives. I haven't found a place that sells cans in singles. Those 40's that I've seen tramps drinking are a little too tall.

You're in luck on the time taken for beer can chicken, it should be done in under 3 hours. Just makes sure you're using indirect heat and have a water bottle handy just in case there are any flame ups.

I shall post on Monday the results of the NP beer can chicken! My God I am excited now, something to hand down to my kids.

Good comment on beer--cans cool faster but beer definately tastes better from the bottle.

You live in Oregon, eh? Bit of a drive for me to quaff those 5 cans.