You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

ESPN win right to broadcast Premier League games

ReddOrDedd

ESPN snaps up Premier League TV packages - England - ESPN Soccernet

ESPN has won the rights to broadcast 46 live Premier League matches in the United Kingdom for the 2009-10 season, and has also been awarded a contract for the 2010-13 seasons.

The sports broadcaster, parent company of Soccernet, picked up both 23-match packages on offer in Monday's auction. ESPN's 46 live games will be split between Saturday evenings and Monday nights in the coming season. For the three seasons from 2010-11 to 2012-13 ESPN has the rights to a single package of 23 matches previously awarded to Setanta.

The Premier League ended its association with Setanta on Friday after it failed to meet a final deadline over a £30m payment which had been due this month. Setanta was also stripped of its Scottish Premier League contract on Monday.

"We are clearly delighted that our bid for exclusive media rights to the Barclays Premier League matches in the UK has been successful," said Lynne Frank, ESPN Managing Director in Europe, Middle East and Africa. "This is a huge step for our business, and we look forward to working with the Premier League, football clubs and distributors to bring UK sports fans all the excitement they expect in Premier League football."

"Premier League football is one of the world's most sought after sports properties, and we are very excited to be expanding our business in the UK with England's top football product," said Russell Wolff, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, ESPN International. "This move demonstrates our commitment to British sports fans and our ongoing commitment to delivering football to fans around the world across a variety of media."

Premier League Chief Executive, Richard Scudamore, said: "The Premier League is extremely pleased to have added ESPN as a UK rights holder. They have a formidable worldwide reputation and experience in sports and I am sure we will enjoy a long and fruitful relationship with them."

ESPN plans to make its Barclays Premier League coverage widely available across multiple pay-TV platforms. As a first step to this distribution strategy, ESPN has reached an agreement for its coverage to be retailed by Sky to residential and commercial customers.

So is it basically the same craic as Setanta was?

Sky where never going to get the 2010-13 package as that would have broken the EU rules.

Be interesting to see what they charge for two packages next season and then the single package from 2010-13.

Sky where never going to get the 2010-13 package as that would have broken the EU rules.

Be interesting to see what they charge for two packages next season and then the single package from 2010-13.

I would be very surprised if ESPN didn't buy the 'second package' from Sky for 2010-13. Sky didn't even want it, and wound up with it accidentally because Setanta put in a ludicrously low bid for it.

Sly Sports had the right to buy one of the two setanta packages up for grabs but not both. Sly Sports couldnt bid for the single setanta package covered by the new deal.

Looks like espn will be ppv similar to setanta. Cant see espn making the games available on a match by match package though.

I would be very surprised if ESPN didn't buy the 'second package' from Sky for 2010-13. Sky didn't even want it, and wound up with it accidentally because Setanta put in a ludicrously low bid for it.

Which single package did they win? The Saturday evening or the Monday night one.

Sky - £40 a month.

Setanta, minus the footy, but for the boxing and UFC - £13 a month. Considering that they've lost their main selling point in live Premier League footy, I hope they bring the price down!

ESPN - another £13 a month?

If you like footy, boxing and UFC it's gonna cost you nigh on £70 a month.

ESPN is horrible. They have a complete monopoly over sports in the USA and could probably take down Sky in a few years. I hate ESPN, but it's a necessary evil because they have rights to most of the US major leagues and events that I want to watch.

But I don't really get this UK deal. So my Setanta channel is going to be no more, and they'll add an ESPN channel?

ESPN is horrible. They have a complete monopoly over sports in the USA and could probably take down Sky in a few years. I hate ESPN, but it's a necessary evil because they have rights to most of the US major leagues and events that I want to watch.

But I don't really get this UK deal. So my Setanta channel is going to be no more, and they'll add an ESPN channel?

The way I see it, it's either going to be no more Setanta and ESPN in it's place, or Setanta minus the footy and ESPN on top of that to watch the match.

So what do Setanta customers do?

Will ESPN simly get in touch, or do we have to cancel Setanta and sign up to ESPN.

Oh for the good old days.

Depends if you want to keep Setanta for the rest of its broadcast. I assume its only a matter of time before they stop broadcasting.

The article suggests that ESPN will just appear as an encryptred channel on Sky. You will then ring Sky and pay whatever fee it is to get it switched on.

I don't think you'll organise anything with ESPN direct.