You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fucking Windows Vista

AVEEZ

Help me pleeeeeease

Now you may recall I'm not a computer techy so keep your instructions basic please..

I have a Laptop Compaq 6720s with Windows Vista..but its fucked (note the technical terms)

I want to restore to factory sesttings but it just wont let me..I ve done the restart press F10 in rombased setup thing as per my manual but it just downt work..

I've also tried to get vista off by overriding with XP but it doesnt recognise the drivers..

Please tell me what to do (in kiddy terms) and I'll buy you a beer.

Cheers

Lou

Not sure if I've got this right, but you have tried to use the recovery partition or recovery discs and nothing happens, and then you have tried to reformat using XP?

Usually when you reformat you would need to enter the BIOS (usually tap F2 or delete when you turn on your compuer to enter set up menu) and set the boot order priority to the CD drive. Then on boot up, with the XP disc in the drive, reformat (prepare the drive) and install XP over your original operating system (vista).

Reformat using XP If you need any drivers then go to the HP support web site.

What do you mean it just doesn't work? I've used that built in repair thing loads of times.

CAn you boot off your Vista CD and reinstall from there?

I dont have the Vista CD it came already installed on the laptop..

I mean it doesnt work i've pressed F10 in the Dos menu thing at the start and chosen the reset to factory saved changes adn exited but nothing happened!!!

Not sure if I've got this right, but you have tried to use the recovery partition or recovery discs and nothing happens, and then you have tried to reformat using XP?

Usually when you reformat you would need to enter the BIOS (usually tap F2 or delete when you turn on your compuer to enter set up menu) and set the boot order priority to the CD drive. Then on boot up, with the XP disc in the drive, reformat (prepare the drive) and install XP over your original operating system (vista).

Reformat using XP If you need any drivers then go to the HP support web site.

I've tried this too but the disk for XPdoesnt recognise the hard drive it cant find a hard drive at all?

So the inbuilt restore partition doesn't work?

You will be able to put XP on it but you will need to install the S-ATA control driver so it recognises the Hard Drive. It can be dowloaded from HP Compaq 6720s Notebook PC - Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

You will need a floppy drive to do this. When you boot from the XP disk at the bottom of the screen it will ask to press F6 at a point. Do this & when prompted insert the floppy disk and install the raid driver. Your hard drive will be recognised and you'll be able to install XP. The hp site will also have all the xp drivers you need when you've managed to reinstall.

Try pressing f11 or f12 to lauch the recovery manager. f10 on hp's can often just put you into the bios.

She means she's restored the BIOS settings to the factory default.

This is what you want to do I presume: -

1. Click Start c01403500.gif and type Recovery in the search field. Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
    Alternately, click Start c01403500.gif , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then Recovery Manager . Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  2. Click Advanced options , System recovery , and then click Next . The PC will restart.
    Alternately, if Advanced options is disabled, click Next , and then System Recovery . The PC will restart.
  3. When the PC restarts, select the System recovery option and click Next .
  4. If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next .
  5. When prompted, select the Back up your files first (recommended) option, and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. When prompted to Recover without backing up your files , please STOP before clicking Next .
    This is the final opportunity to change your mind about recovering the PC and deleting all the files at this time. Once you click Next , the restore process cannot be stopped
  7. If you are satisfied that you want to begin the recover process, click Next . The PC immediately begins formatting the hard drive and destroying all data.

You need to do that when windows loads though, Louise. Is your system still able to boot up or is it so fucked that it wont start windows?

If that's the case then this recovery manager can be run by pressing f11 when the computer starts but i think that might be what you've actually tried to do when you said it didnt recognise your hard drive.

If that is the case then the problem is you are going to need the recovery discs which you have to make yourself from your laptop by following some instrcutions and putting some blank discs in.

So basically, if you can't load windows you cant create the discs, in which case you have to order the from Hewlett Packard.

Sorry this isnt better news but if you can't load windows then your next course of action is to get these recovery discs from HP.

She means she's restored the BIOS settings to the factory default.

This is what you want to do I presume: -

1. Click Start c01403500.gif and type Recovery in the search field. Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
    Alternately, click Start c01403500.gif , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then Recovery Manager . Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  2. Click Advanced options , System recovery , and then click Next . The PC will restart.
    Alternately, if Advanced options is disabled, click Next , and then System Recovery . The PC will restart.
  3. When the PC restarts, select the System recovery option and click Next .
  4. If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next .
  5. When prompted, select the Back up your files first (recommended) option, and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. When prompted to Recover without backing up your files , please STOP before clicking Next .
    This is the final opportunity to change your mind about recovering the PC and deleting all the files at this time. Once you click Next , the restore process cannot be stopped
  7. If you are satisfied that you want to begin the recover process, click Next . The PC immediately begins formatting the hard drive and destroying all data.

hmmmm Recoverymanager is not found as a programme or during a search!!! Any more ideas??

Click on My Computer, there should be two partitions; the first being the loaded operating system that you normally use, and the second being the partitioned drive (factory Image). If the second partition isn't there, then I'm afraid you must have deleted it. However, another way to check the drive is to click onto My Computer, look for Manage (third on the list) and right-click on it. Right-click on disc management on the list showing now to your left (second from the bottom) and the available volumes will be shown. If there is no factory image partition you will have to get a copy of the operating system discs which will set you back approx 30 quid.

The problem with resetting to Factory Image is that if the recovery discs are not made on the initial set-up of the computer then the Factory Image partition can potentially be compromised by viruses (particularly Trojans). Anti-virus programs may recognise the threat and be shown to eliminate it, but don't be fooled; resetting the computer to factory Image and re-installing the anti-virus programs and then scanning, will more often than not pick-up the same virus/Trojan once again, as once the Factory Image has been compromised it is damn nigh impossible to eradicate the threat.

Basically, all you need to do is need to re-format the drive and do a clean install from the recovery discs. A virus/Trojan/ worm, whatever, may be another possible reason as to why you cannot restore your laptop to factory settings, as the virus, etc. has deliberately disabled that option. The recovery discs are simple to order and give you the added advantage of having a master-copy of the operating system with the ability to re-create the recovery partition again on every clean install. Even better, you also get the option of making a copy of the operating system from the Recovery Manger on your laptop. This option is only ever available once, but upon a clean install with the master-copy the option to create recovery discs suddenly becomes available again (does for me, anyway). Anyone who has a computer or laptop with a recovery partition is wise to make recovery discs ASAP, as once two years have lapsed from the manufacturing of the unit the option to purchase discs is usually no longer available .

Hope this helps.

Ignore the reppage.

You have either deleted the partition or your laptop has been compromised. My advice is to re-format the hard drive and do a clean install from disc (recovery discs automatically re-formats the hard drive for you).

System restore makes mirror copies of you OS at the time, which is great if you fuck up and need to roll back to an earlier time. The downside is that any nasties or malware that may have invaded your computer could be in these mirror copies. If your anti-virus picks up something deal with the threat, disable all the restore points in System Protection (Control Panel/System and Maintenance/System/ System Protection), then immediately recreate a restore point. You only ever need to do this if your anti-virus is picking up the same threat after having dealt with it – unless you’re re-infecting your system by revisiting, downloading or opening mail from the source of origin. It will not work in your situation, though - assuming of course, that your system has indeed been compromised.

System Restore then disabling and recreation of Restore Point works well if you have unwittingly downloaded low-mid level spyware or malware to your system.

Nick raises a very valid point. However, it’s not a matter of simply activating the partition per se, as the partition is either there or it isn’t, it’s about enabling the factory reset function which can be disabled/enabled in the BIOS. The recovery function is usually enabled by default and can be accessed in one of two ways; PC Help & Tools (Start/ All Programs), or via the F key function (look to the bottom left of your screen in the boot sequence prior to Windows loading; it displays the relevant F key number which you must immediately press in order to access the recovery menu). This utility is entirely dependent upon the existence of a Factory Image Partition; if there is no partition then there can be no function. Likewise, for its enabling in the BIOS.