You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James McCarthy

Royal Family

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have Lucas 'I have 100% pass success rate passing backwards' Leiva.

It's all good, we don't need a positive young player in McCarthy we need someone who can contain and who is Brazillian.

We tied to sign him.

He didn't want to come.

Blame Lucas.

Guest The Chimp

I didn't see James McCarthy in the thread title but John McCarthy and thought that after last night the poor fucker had finally had enough and was booking himself a one-way ticket to Lebanon for a meeting with his old mates in Islamic Jihad.

We tied to sign him.

He didn't want to come.

Blame Lucas.

The reason he didn't want to come was because he knew his chances of 1st team football were better at Wigan. He be sitting bench for the ressies if he came to us- not a Macia recommendation.

It took a helluva lot of bravery and confidence in his own ability to turn down a move to us, especially at 16. But to his credit he did it because he didn't feel like it was the right thing to do, and he stayed at Hamilton and played over 100 games for them. He looks a very accomplished player, and a very level headed lad, which is just as important as talent when your a young player. I think somewhere like Wigan, where the pressure to perform is off, and they have a manager who tries to play football in the right way, was the perfect move for him.

The reason he didn't want to come was because he knew his chances of 1st team football were better at Wigan. He be sitting bench for the ressies if he came to us- not a Macia recommendation.

Isn't that going to be the case for most youngsters who have a choice between moving to a "Top Six" club or a Blackburn/Wigan etc... You can say the same for Victor Moses as well...

In an interview last Thursday, Martinez confirmed that McCarthy turned you down because he knew he wouldn't start regularly. Having said that, Martinez kept him just on the fringes for 6 months, until he was ready to play every week. It was a master stroke.

Martinez also said that McCarthy is the only 19 year old he's ever been able to play in 3 different positions in the same game.

He even got a tour around Melwood and happened to bump into Gerrard having lunch etc

So I read on here, I think.

Gerrard waved his arms at him and told him he wasn't eating his peas properly. The rest is history.

Thought he played very well last night and am delighted he signed for the Republic. He came on against Brazil last Tuesday and looked very comfortable at that level. He showed no nerves at all. He made the right move going to Wigan as he wouldn't see the light of day again under Rafa had he signed for us. McCarthy and Rodwell could be star Premiership midfielders in a few years.

Thought he played very well last night and am delighted he signed for the Republic. He came on against Brazil last Tuesday and looked very comfortable at that level. He showed no nerves at all. He made the right move going to Wigan as he wouldn't see the light of day again under Rafa had he signed for us. McCarthy and Rodwell could be star Premiership midfielders in a few years.

Correct

After about ten minutes it dawned on me how gutted I am we never gambled on him.

But that said, he'd of never started for us and there he starts all the time.

He's going to be one hell of a player.

We did try to sign him. He played a friendly for us alongside Gerrard and aparently scored a cracker too. Didnt want to come to us, wanted to stay at Hamilton and get games and experience, which you have to admire. Dont know what happened in the summer though.