You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is if we didn't buy Bent and stuck with what we got - I wouldn't be confident of a top four finish.

If we got Bent, I would be very confident of finishing in the top four.

Ideally we'd get Cavani, Higuain etc - but maybe Bent is the best we can attract at the moment?

I'd rather have someone like Bent, than stick with what we got - even if it costs £20 million, as we'd make that fee back if we qualify for the Champs League.

I'm sure there'll be discussion surrounding all of the players we are linked with, yes. I sure hope so, otherwise there's very little point in this discussion board. Plus, it gives people a chance to post about what others should be posting about. It seems some posters are much more interested with what others are doing than they are in who we're linked to and how good or bad they'd be as a signing. I think it's their way of pretending they're some how more knowledgeable or a better fan than somebody else. Strange. Still, it keeps the board moving.

Dave is gona need a new server of this is the reaction, as for the rest of that riddle I'm not going to try work it out.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Not sure what you're suggesting here. Spurs were stupid? Or someone with 1 in 3 strike rate and deemed a failure at Spurs would take us forward?

You're being obtuse. I'd be looking for in between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 from Bent. That represents a significant improvement on what we've got at the moment.

Do not want. We've blown too much cash on overpriced English 'talent' and 'prospects for the future'. We've been taken as mugs by Newcastle and Villa (sorry but money shelled out for Carroll and Downing was ridiculous, regardless of circumstances) and I don't want to go down that road again. What's wrong with Huntelaar? Too old? Not enough of an attacking threat? Too foreign?

Cheers Code, interesting stuff.

Do you have anything stats wise on his chance to goal ratio?

Not right now but I can look for it.

If we look at the last 3 seasons in the league I have this.

11/12: Min played 1231, shots 22, shots on target 12, goals 5.

10/11: Min played 3149, shots 76, shots on target 40, goals 17.

09/10: Min played 3388, shots 95, shots on target 55, goals 24.

We can almost say he hits target with half of his shots and half of those shots again results in goals.

Pretty good stats I'd say.

Bent or Torres?

Torres. He is a much better player. I would take Torres back provided:

1. The fee was in the region of 20m

2. He agreed to fit into our wage structure (large bonus for goals scored to fire us into next season's CL would be more than fine, but he can't come back and be a prima donna on a huge wage)

3. He ate some humble pie and issued an apology to fans about leaving for 'better', or whatever he said. He could easily get us back onside with a few carefully chosen words, but most importantly, with the goals he would score if he got back to anything like the player we saw before.

If he wouldn't fit back into the wage structure I'd swerve it, since there is a slight question mark over him since he has been so poor at Chelsea.

I actually think Torres will end up going to PSG or Malaga - one of the new moneyed clubs, but not that Siberian outfit, whose name, every time I read it, sounds like I'm speaking Klingon!

Torres. He is a much better player. I would take Torres back provided:

1. The fee was in the region of 20m

2. He agreed to fit into our wage structure (large bonus for goals scored to fire us into next season's CL would be more than fine, but he can't come back and be a prima donna on a huge wage)

3. He ate some humble pie and issued an apology to fans about leaving for 'better', or whatever he said. He could easily get us back onside with a few carefully chosen words, but most importantly, with the goals he would score if he got back to anything like the player we saw before.

If he wouldn't fit back into the wage structure I'd swerve it, since there is a slight question mark over him since he has been so poor at Chelsea.

I actually think Torres will end up going to PSG or Malaga - one of the new moneyed clubs, but not that Siberian outfit, whose name, every time I read it, sounds like I'm speaking Klingon!

He had a go an the board in a recent interview. He wouldnt want to come back let alone issue an apology for leaving. Hes made his bed.

Of course buying Bent is a better option than sticking with what we have. The thing is though if we do have £20m to spend I'm sure we can get better valuer than Bent. Adding any international player is going to improve the squad, Bent would improve every squad in the premiership as he's be brilliant to play in certain matches. I just don't believe we wouldn't get better value looking elsewhere.

Not right now but I can look for it.

If we look at the last 3 seasons in the league I have this.

11/12: Min played 1231, shots 22, shots on target 12, goals 5.

10/11: Min played 3149, shots 76, shots on target 40, goals 17.

09/10: Min played 3388, shots 95, shots on target 55, goals 24.

We can almost say he hits target with half of his shots and half of those shots again results in goals.

Pretty good stats I'd say.

Cheers Code, I agree, good conversion stats and better than anything we've got at the moment by far

You're being obtuse. I'd be looking for in between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 from Bent. That represents a significant improvement on what we've got at the moment.

But is that a certainty? Andy Carroll's scoring record was 1 in 2 for Newcastle (14 in 33 -- just PL games, including his 08/09 season). He's current 1 in 5 for us, and feels like 1 in 10. Though with enough games, he may drag it to more respectable 1 in 3 or better. But will that be enough?

If we can't get someone really prolific, I'd rather we try someone completely unknown.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Listen that doesn't fit in with the Commoli is an idiot line some want to push on here so can't be true (:

Surely you can do better than this? Try giving your own opinions rather than just slamming how other people post.

I'm not sure I've ever typed Comolli's name, so that's not even aimed at me, but still; you're turning into one of these posters that does nothing other than pick up other posters without adding anything of his own.

Do not want. We've blown too much cash on overpriced English 'talent' and 'prospects for the future'. We've been taken as mugs by Newcastle and Villa (sorry but money shelled out for Carroll and Downing was ridiculous, regardless of circumstances) and I don't want to go down that road again. What's wrong with Huntelaar? Too old? Not enough of an attacking threat? Too foreign?

Anyone who suggest Huntelaar but doesn't want Bent is a confused person. Huntelaar is shite at everything but gets goals. He is essentially the Dutch Darren Bent.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
But is that a certainty? Andy Carroll's scoring record was 1 in 2 for Newcastle (14 in 33 -- just PL games, including his 08/09 season). He's current 1 in 5 for us, and feels like 1 in 10.

If we can't get someone really prolific, I'd rather we try someone completely unknown.

Of course it's not a certainty. However, we could say that about any player in the world. We can't not buy players with good goals/games ratio just because Carroll hasn't worked out. It goes to illustrate that we can't buy players on goals/games ratio alone. We need to look at other attributes, too.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Anyone who suggest Huntelaar but doesn't want Bent is a confused person. Huntelaar is shite at everything but gets goals. He is essentially the Dutch Darren Bent.

With less pace.

He had a go an the board in a recent interview. He wouldnt want to come back let alone issue an apology for leaving. Hes made his bed.

Fair enough, didn't realise that. If it was just old comments, I would have thought he could have played the 'old owners were rubbish' card, saying how they drove him to despair, and he just needed to get out, and by the time the new owners came in he was already too far gone.

But if he has made recent comments then that's different. That's crossing swords with the new regime, and that won't do.

Of course it's not a certainty. However, we could say that about any player in the world. We can't not buy players with good goals/games ratio just because Carroll hasn't worked out. It goes to illustrate that we can't buy players on goals/games ratio alone. We need to look at other attributes, too.

I agree. And my litmus is "don't look inept at top level football".

Listen that doesn't fit in with the Commoli is an idiot line some want to push on here so can't be true (:

I understand that was at least partially aimed at me.

To be fair no matter what the ultimate outcome of this one I understand that internet interest is not worth the paper it's written on. In this case, I was a little pre-emptive as a Villa fan I know (who in turn probably doesn't know much) was banging on about Bent coming to Liverpool last week and then I saw this thread.

Regardless of this, from everything I have seen of Comolli's work both here and at Tottenham I'm not convinced he is the person we should be putting our trust in over new signings.