You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton. FA cup.

RedinSweden

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he picked Cavalieri and he made a mistake which cost us the game, I don't think I could ever forgive that.

-------------Reina

Arbeloa--Carra--Agger(if fit)--Aurelio

Babel--Gerrard--Alonso--Riera

--------Torres--Keane

I think Cavalieri is decent, but I hope to God he picks Reina.

I think Cavalieri is decent, but I hope to God he picks Reina.

He's on a hiding to nothing if he picks Cavalieri.

The thing is Itandje played all the Cup games last year and Dudek played the year before so I can see him doing the same this year.

I hope he doesn't but to play someone who has hardly played all season in such a pressure game isn't fair on the keeper and will only serve to give Moyes his teamtalk. It's definitely a no win situation all round.

Resting a lot of players according to Maddock in The Mirror. Gerrard and Xabi won't play, Lucas and Masch to come in. Torres to be on bench. Babel to start. Says he is willing to sacrifice local pride and go all out for the league.

Could be a nightmare.

Oh god.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/01/22/rafa-not-up-for-the-cup-115875-21060500/

By David Maddock 22/01/2009

FA CUP COUNTDOWN TO MERSEY DERBY 2 Gerrard and Torres axed as Benitez shows he cares only about Premier League and Europe

Rafa Benitez is ready to risk Merseyside derby pride for Liverpool's title dream.

The Anfield boss has revealed that he will rest some key players in the FA Cup against bitter local rivals Everton on Sunday.

The Reds have two big Premier League matches coming up the following week. And that means even star players such as Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres could find themselves on the bench for the Mersey showdown.

Liverpool play Wigan in a must-win league game just three days after the clash with Everton, and Benitez has long been of the opinion that is simply too short a recovery period.

It means he won't risk certain players, despite the pressure to field the strongest side possible to ensure derby bragging rights.

Benitez was devastated by the late goal his side conceded to lose two points against Everton on Monday, and with the Wigan game as well as a crucial game with Chelsea on the horizon, he insisted he will rotate.

"We have players coming back from injury and it is important that they get the chance to play matches like the Cup tie," he said.

"We may have to play with different players for the Everton game on Sunday because afterwards we have two important games at Wigan and then at home to Chelsea."

It is 19 years since Liverpool won the title, and the manager is so focused on the quest to bring it back to Anfield that even cup defeat at the hands of Everton won't deflect him.

He looks certain to bring Javier Mascherano back into the starting line-up, and with Lucas likely to play alongside him in midfield that could mean rests for Gerrard and Xabi Alonso.

Alvaro Arbeloa and Daniel Agger are also coming back from injury and are likely to play, while Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel should get much-needed game time.

Torres could be left on the bench, especially after a hard game against Everton in his first real test since returning from hamstring injury.

Mascherano is determined to avenge the costly draw on Monday night.

"I love this kind of game where first you have to win the physical battle before you can think about winning the match," he said.

"I like playing against Everton. Every tackle matters and you have to be brave in every situation.

"We feel that we can't come off the pitch with anything left. We have to give everything to make sure Liverpool get the right result.

"When the game is the FA Cup, it is even more important because we want to go far in this competition."

I would like to see:

--------------Reina-----

Arbeloa---Hyypia----Carragher---Aurelio

---------Alonso-----Mascherano----

Babel------Gerrard-------Riera

-----------Torres-----

What I think we'll see is:

--------------Cavalieri------

Arbeloa----Skrtel---Carragher-----Dossena

----------Lucas-----Mascherano----

Kuyt---------Gerrard--------Babel

-------------Keane-----------

To be fair, our strongest team didn't do much on Monday night.

Sorry, but this is our strongest team:

----------------Reina

Arbeloa Carragher Agger Aurelio

-------Mascherano Alonso

-------Kuyt Gerrard Reina

---------------Torres

only five differences in players/position .. :whistle:

For me i reckon

_____________Reina___________

Albert____Carra__Skrtel__Bossena

________________Alonso_______

_________Gerrard______________

Babel_____________________Riera

______Nemeth:smile:____Torres_____

Our attacking options have been poor. Now time to play Nemeth.

Rafa hinting that Torres will play in the Offal. He will definately make changes but I can't see it been wholesale as he knows that this is the one game that he can't fuck about too much with. One of Gerrard or Alonso will be on the bench, but I expect the rest to be strong. I think he'll play Keane again to give him a chance to redeem himself after his shite performance on Monday. Possibly Reina will be on the bench too and Babel will start.

don't throw cavaleiri into a derby match against a team who are set piece experts, that would be madness.

Quite. Keepers don't need 'resting,' and reserve keepers don't have a right to expect to be first choice for cup matches. We need a good cup run and playing a weakened team against the blueshite is a gamble we shouldn't take.