You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heathrow's 3rd Runway

WaltonRed

Has been given the go-ahead by the goverment today.

Has anyone see John McDonald the Labour MP, walk down to the front of the commons and get off with the mace?!

I think its a disgrace that its been given the go-ahead, not only from an enviromental point of view but if the South East of England gets anymore it will probably snap off in to the Channel.

Why not help expand more regional airports?

Thousands of people are going to be forcibly moved from their homes.

Has been given the go-ahead by the goverment today.

Has anyone see John McDonald the Labour MP, walk down to the front of the commons and get off with the mace?!

I think its a disgrace that its been given the go-ahead, not only from an enviromental point of view but if the South East of England gets anymore it will probably snap off in to the Channel.

Why not help expand more regional airports?

Thousands of people are going to be forcibly moved from their homes.

Hey, if it saves me 15 minutes than I'm all for it. Nothing worse than teh famous 'holding pattern' over Heathrow after a long trans-Atlantic flight and they stop serving drinks as well when you're in a holding pattern.

I think a lot of it is down to the - and I hate this phrase - current economic climate.

The Government just wants to put people to work on construction projects, by fair means or foul.

FDR public works projects eh?!

Well build a bridge over the mersey, help set up metro systems under the major cities which dont have them, re-build our train infrastructure and so on!

I think a lot of it is down to the - and I hate this phrase - current economic climate.

The Government just wants to put people to work on construction projects, by fair means or foul.

Yeah Canada is aboot to start spending massively on these infrastructure projects.

Going from surplus of 10-12 billion to defecits of 30 billion so we can have make work projects.

I say legalize pot and whores and tax that.

I'm not getting into a North v South thing or a Liverpool v London thing but London and the South East is the busiest, most densely populated part of the country. The North West seems to me to be adequately served by airports at Liverpool and Manchester.

To build an extra airport to service the North would be senseless as far as I can see. People not only use Heathrow as a way into the Capital and to their homes in said densely populated area but also use it to make connections to other flights which land / take off from the largest airport in the country. It's simple enough to add a runway to an existing airport as the support infrastructure is already in place. You would tenfold the expenditure if you wanted to build an entirely new airport.

As for "halting climate change," pfffft. We all know that climate is cyclical and that there's bugger all we can realistically do about it. The planes are going to fly anyway because the planet's population is growing and there is a demand. Not building the extra runway at Heathrow simply means there would be extra traffic to Schipol / Frankfurt / Paris. Why not make the most of the extra boost to the economy and the new jobs created.

I say build it. And run Emma fucking Thompson and her Greenpeace chums over with a JCB in the process.

• Upvote 1

I'm not getting into a North v South thing or a Liverpool v London thing but London and the South East is the busiest, most densely populated part of the country. The North West seems to me to be adequately served by airports at Liverpool and Manchester.

To build an extra airport to service the North would be senseless as far as I can see. People not only use Heathrow as a way into the Capital and to their homes in said densely populated area but also use it to make connections to other flights which land / take off from the largest airport in the country. It's simple enough to add a runway to an existing airport as the support infrastructure is already in place. You would tenfold the expenditure if you wanted to build an entirely new airport.

As for "halting climate change," pfffft. We all know that climate is cyclical and that there's bugger all we can realistically do about it. The planes are going to fly anyway because the planet's population is growing and there is a demand. Not building the extra runway at Heathrow simply means there would be extra traffic to Schipol / Frankfurt / Paris. Why not make the most of the extra boost to the economy and the new jobs created.

I say build it. And run Emma fucking Thompson and her Greenpeace chums over with a JCB in the process.

I'm not saying Manchester or Liverpool should get the investement (although John Lennon airport is in dire need of it) but why not Birmingham airport and then get a high speed train line straight to it from the South east?

Spot on all of that, the North doesn't need another airport IMO, most visitors to Britain are probably heading to London, be it on business or to faff around outside the palace.

Agree on climate change too, as long as the USA and China exist - we're just farting in a jacuzzi.

• 7 years later...

Going to post the below again, how do you reckon human civilization is going to cope with this? I reckon we're going to be pretty fucked, mind you looking at the climate projections for our lucky Isle we'll probably be ok, it'll just be good chunks of the rest of the world that really struggles.

I note that the length of time taken prior to getting going on the actual construction is going to take an age so it's likely Heathrow may be overtaken by other European airports anyway. Certainly the Gulf States and Turks are trying to position their airports as as long hall hubs.

http://xkcd.com/1732/

earth_temperature_timeline.png

• Upvote 4

Wish they'd approve that Tidal Lagoon in Swansea bay; cheap electricity, loads of jobs, environmentally friendly (with regards green house gas emissions), government funded. It's the Conservatives worst nightmare.

I'm not saying Manchester or Liverpool should get the investement (although John Lennon airport is in dire need of it) but why not Birmingham airport and then get a high speed train line straight to it from the South east?

Because I don't want to sit on a train for an hour after a transatlanticfuckingflight!

Everything, well mostly, unfortunately, is based there for business which is the only fucking thing propping up this fucking island after the dimwits in provincial towns voted to be be the most enthusiastic turkeys to ever vote for Christmas.

When I look at google maps there looks like loads of green space to build on down south,there's no shortage of posh golf clubs either. If they all want to flock to that there London then they are welcome to it.