You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Slagging off Soccer Saturday - 3rd Jan edition

Redder Lurtz

1 minute ago, Dave D said:

He would be good- think he might be contracted elsewhere. Although he does like to go off on a tangent when given the chance. I could see him tearing Stelling a new one! He's quite a factual guy, not a "bantz" merchant

Insightful, articulate, knows the game, he'd be perfect.

Think you're right about him being contracted elsewhere though.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm talking about what happens if you do go purely by ability and not physical appearance: the chances are you wouldn't end up with three white men, because a lot of ex-pros aren't white.

The majority would be- but its irrelevant. We cant possibly know who applied. But if the 3 best candidates are white now and for the next 5 years it shouldnt be offensive? Surely thats what we are striving for?

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm guessing that Sky would want to replace the owlarses with some young ex-pros. I assume the whole point of this is to refresh the panel, rather than replace one bunch of 80s/90s relics with another. 

I imagine that is the overall idea, but the issue would seem to be that the younger prospects are to a man/woman as dull as ditch water.

On 27/08/2020 at 10:34, Vincent Vega said:

Watching the show the last couple of years, I felt the show was tired and crying out for some fresh pundits, and maybe even a new presenter. 

I wonder if Le Tissier talked himself out of a job with his refusal to wear a BLM badge? He misjudged the mood and made himself look a bit of a dinosaur, even if he may have had a point about some of the “far left” demands of the UK movement. I never liked him anyway, he comes across as a Peter Shilton/Chris Waddle Britain knows best Kipper. 

As for Thommo, I read that he’s been appearing on the show for 22 years. I think it’s fair to say he’s had a good run at it. 

Quite ironic that Le Tissier,born in Guernsey or Jersey or wherever,is a kipper. I always find him to be full of himself and a bit of a tosspot in general. I thought Charlie Nicholas was ok,typically banal but ok.

15 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm guessing that Sky would want to replace the owlarses with some young ex-pros. I assume the whole point of this is to refresh the panel, rather than replace one bunch of 80s/90s relics with another. 

Would the most recently retired players even do it? I'm thinking the Ashley Cole's  or Robbie Keane's, they would earn more in interest than Sky would give them to give up their weekends.  

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Stelling might be off according to this anyway:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jeff-stelling-could-quit-soccer-22592238

Read another quote today about Micah Richards and Alex Scott being in frame:

"Micah Richards and Alex Scott have emerged as rising stars of the punditry world over the past few years"

Stellings replacement 

Token_Black2.png

Alex Scott is a good pundit for the simple fact that she can speak in sentences that make sense and is able to make a coherent point. A good 8 out of 10 current pundits don't even fill that requirement.That's literally all you need to be a decent pundit, you don't need to have played a billion Champions League games to have the insight to talk about high level football.  She'd be alright for that show.

The holy grail is someone like Mourinho who is a great communicator, has incredible experience and has charisma. But those almost don't exist. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Alex Scott is a good pundit from the simple fact that she can speak in sentences that make sense and is able to make a coherent point. A good 8 out of 10 current pundits don't even fill that requirement. She'd be alright for that show. That's literally all you need to be a decent pundit, you don't need to have played a billion Champions League games to have the insight to talk about high level football.

The holy grail is someone like Mourinho who is a great communicator, has incredible experience and has charisma. But those almost don't exist. 

Merson is still there though. 

It'll be absolute shite with all these changes.

The current panel might be an old boys club but they have a chemistry between them that works well. Integrating a few new faces is no big deal, you can just implement a rota that mixes the panel with 1 or 2 changes per week instead of completely replacing everyone apart from Merson.

• Upvote 1

Rarely watched it but when I did they were all tedious cunts bar Thommo

I don't care who they get in as they'll probably be as shit as the previous jamooks... maybe they'll be better, they can't be worse

I mean, Le Tissier. Fuck me, the man is a walking and talking advert for the shitness and petty minded stupidity of your average kipper. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Blame sky sports for employing useless annoying cunts like Richards and Scott based purely on their gender and race. 

What grounds did they employ the white, male useless annoying cunts on?

You can't seriously argue that Micah Richards or Alex Scott are less competent than Paul fucking Merson.

29 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What grounds did they employ the white, male useless annoying cunts on?

You can't seriously argue that Micah Richards or Alex Scott are less competent than Paul fucking Merson.

They are by quite some distance.

Richards was getting a lot of love on him for his tv work post lockdown.   Can't wait to watch that view on him change now as people start pretending he deserves this role. 

10 minutes ago, Grinch said:

They are by quite some distance.

Richards was getting a lot of love on him for his tv work post lockdown.   Can't wait to watch that view on him change now as people start pretending he deserves this role. 

The vast majority of pundits in this country are fucking shite, why are you making a thing about their skin colour?