You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nah, Mercedes fucked it by not bringing Lewis in when they had a chance to change his tyres 

Both times he would’ve ended up losing track position though, the first time clearly the right decision until the Latifi crash, and the second time no guarantee of a restart - and after Verstappen got a race win already this year in Spa without any actual racing happening you wouldn’t have been surprised if they’d have played it differently had Mercedes voluntarily given up the lead.

there’s a bunch of things in F1 that set up for rubbish like this to happen with results being influenced heavily by non-racing or performance.

like the point for fastest lap - throughout the season perez has pinched the bonus point simply because he was far enough clear of 4th or so far out of contention that he could put with 2 laps to go.

ultimately though Hamilton has lost this championship as much as anything because he’s had absolutely no support at all from the utterly crap Bottas, and when it’s mattered decisions have gone hugely in Verstappen’s favour.

1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Both times he would’ve ended up losing track position though, the first time clearly the right decision until the Latifi crash, and the second time no guarantee of a restart - and after Verstappen got a race win already this year in Spa without any actual racing happening you wouldn’t have been surprised if they’d have played it differently had Mercedes voluntarily given up the lead.

there’s a bunch of things in F1 that set up for rubbish like this to happen with results being influenced heavily by non-racing or performance.

like the point for fastest lap - throughout the season perez has pinched the bonus point simply because he was far enough clear of 4th or so far out of contention that he could put with 2 laps to go.

ultimately though Hamilton has lost this championship as much as anything because he’s had absolutely no support at all from the utterly crap Bottas, and when it’s mattered decisions have gone hugely in Verstappen’s favour.

I agree mate, they need to make a lot of changes to keep it interesting but this season has been superb and that ending then was drama. I couldn't really give that much of a shit who won, I am glad Max did but I expected Lewis to do it. Sets next year up plus we get to hear Toto Wolff kick off. 

Like Strontz says, all in the same car and only then can you call it as fair a fight as possible. Obviously that will never happen but it's nice to see Mercedes get a slap after dominating for so many years. 

Properly shit sport these days. Decided on the whim of a race director who decided to sabotage the end of the season by not following regulations. If the back markers are allowed to un lap themselves then it's all cars and not just the 5 that conveniently allow the other driver in the championship to his rival. 

The racing director justifying his decision as a "its a motor race" does not hold up

Hes fucked up massively there and massively influenced the championship. 

28 minutes ago, John102 said:

Not arsed who won as I don't watch it. My nephew had it on like so saw it. What's the point though if something out the drivers control changes the result. This is one race, does this happen in all races. Its like having var decision in every game. Who'd be arsed

Agree with all of that, I’m sure they are very highly skilled sportsman but it’s a complete mess.

7 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Properly shit sport these days. Decided on the whim of a race dire tor who decided to sanotage the end of the season by not following regulations. If the back markers are allowed to un lap themselves then it's all cars and not just the 5 that conveniently allow the other driver in the championship to his rival. 

The racing director justifying his decision as a "its a motor race will not hold up"

Hes fucjed up massively there and massively influenced the championship. 

The farce was more shown up in Spa, where no racing was ever possible but they had to give out points because too much money would have to be refunded to too many people if they didn’t.

There’s wasn’t any “it’s a motor race” on that day.

It was a farcical decision, clearly done for maximum exposure and interest in the 'sport'. Michael Masi has had a real David Coote moment there. The likes of Wolff and Horner are massive cunts for sure with their constant cryarsing over the radio, and both Hamilton and Verstappen are unlikeable in their own way, but this is no way to influence the outcome of any race, never mind one where the World Championship is at stake.

Among the changes they need to bring in in the future is to do away with allowing drivers to pit under safety car or virtual safety car conditions, especially as they could be deployed at any given moment following a racing incident. One driver could be 2 turns from the entrance to the pit lane when the SC/VSC is deployed while another may have already passed the pit lane entrance just before the SC/VSR comes on. Whatever your race position when they are deployed, that position is maintained until the all-clear is given. You might have tyre wear that requires a pit stop and the guy you're battling it out with might have pitted a few laps earlier and has the benefit of fresh tyres, but those decisions were made while racing, not while taking advantage of a situation where drivers are not allowed to pick up the pace on indeed race.

• Upvote 2

There were no real options for LH to pit as it would have lost him track position each time. 

A benefit of being the following car is the ability to choose to pit when the cards of race stoppages fall in your favour. They certainly didn't fall in LH's favour today. 

The disgrace was the FIA deciding the outcome of the race in the final Safety Car period. I believe they can choose whether to allow the lapped cars to pass the Safety Car. Certainly any race I've been involved in - driving or adjudicating - when lapped cars are waved through, they're then given time to join the train behind the Safety Car before the race restarts. That most certainly didn't happen this time. 

I a little surprised Mercedes didn't suddenly have an inexplicable failure on Valteri's car just before the Safety Car came in - necessitating a further couple of SC laps. I'm glad they didn't, but less scrupulous teams might have done so. 

A VERY highly placed mate of mine messaged me with three lines in quick succession:

"Terrible." 

"I'm speechless." 

"I don't know what to say." 

What we saw here today was the FIA deciding the outcome of the race. Bums on seats was put ahead of racing. In the cold light of day, that should be disappointing whichever driver you support. 

• Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, rb14 said:

There were no real options for LH to pit as it would have lost him track position each time. 

A benefit of being the following car is the ability to choose to pit when the cards of race stoppages fall in your favour. They certainly didn't fall in LH's favour today. 

The disgrace was the FIA deciding the outcome of the race in the final Safety Car period. I believe they can choose whether to allow the lapped cars to pass the Safety Car. Certainly any race I've been involved in - driving or adjudicating - when lapped cars are waved through, they're then given time to join the train behind the Safety Car before the race restarts. That most certainly didn't happen this time. 

I a little surprised Mercedes didn't suddenly have an inexplicable failure on Valteri's car just before the Safety Car came in - necessitating a further couple of SC laps. I'm glad they didn't, but less scrupulous teams might have done so. 

A VERY highly placed mate of mine messaged me with three lines in quick succession:

"Terrible." 

"I'm speechless." 

"I don't know what to say." 

What we saw here today was the FIA deciding the outcome of the race. Bums on seats was put ahead of racing. In the cold light of day, that should be disappointing whichever driver you support. 

I've watched F1 since 1994 and have stuck through it through some questionable times. But that today was by far the worst decision I've ever seen 

The race director has decided the outcome of the championship but not following regulations. How can he allow only allow 5 lapped cars to go through and not the rest while conveniently knowing this will allow the two drivers fighting for the championship to be in a shootout on the final lap. 

I'm not a fan of either drivers much but Lewis was robbed of his 8th title there. 

Think I'm done with the sport now its obvious the outcome is not determined on the track. 

Max deserves it as he's had more wins this season but he was gifted it by the race director. 

9 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Among the changes they need to bring in in the future is to do away with allowing drivers to pit under safety car or virtual safety car conditions... 

I agree with a lot of what you've written. I can assure you I've won places, and indeed a race, by seeing an incident on track and pitting before the SC had been deployed, knowing it was going to be coming out. 

I'm afraid the FIA have decided the outcome of the Championship, this final race is only the clearest example of too many poor decisions this season. 

I think it is completely within the regs to allow only some lapped cars through, particularly those between P1 and P2. I don't have access to the F1-specific rulebook, but I've seen it in lower-level motorsport. As I say though, those cars unlapping themselves were always given time to join the back of the "train" before the SC comes in. 

22 minutes ago, Trumo said:

It was a farcical decision, clearly done for maximum exposure and interest in the 'sport'. Michael Masi has had a real David Coote moment there. The likes of Wolff and Horner are massive cunts for sure with their constant cryarsing over the radio, and both Hamilton and Verstappen are unlikeable in their own way, but this is no way to influence the outcome of any race, never mind one where the World Championship is at stake.

Among the changes they need to bring in in the future is to do away with allowing drivers to pit under safety car or virtual safety car conditions, especially as they could be deployed at any given moment following a racing incident. One driver could be 2 turns from the entrance to the pit lane when the SC/VSC is deployed while another may have already passed the pit lane entrance just before the SC/VSR comes on. Whatever your race position when they are deployed, that position is maintained until the all-clear is given. You might have tyre wear that requires a pit stop and the guy you're battling it out with might have pitted a few laps earlier and has the benefit of fresh tyres, but those decisions were made while racing, not while taking advantage of a situation where drivers are not allowed to pick up the pace on indeed race.

A simple change would be to allow all drivers to do what they do now, but give the race leader the option to pit without losing their place if cars (other than their teammate) in the top 3 choose to pit.

if that was a one lap shootout from a rolling start, in the last race of the season, with two drivers on equal points AND they both have the same tyre, then THAT is racing.

as it was, it wasn’t racing it was 3 miles to pull of an overtake that was all but guaranteed in the circumstances.

i agree the decision was made for maximum excitement, but had they finished behind the safety car (as has happened before) it wouldn’t have been controversial and everyone would’ve acknowledged he’d earned the win even if it’s not the way anyone wanted to see it end.

it was a manipulated situation, and once that manipulation had happened the result was inevitable, so really it was a manipulated result.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

Mercedes’ appealing the win now.  Suck it up you twats after getting away with that bollocks on the first lap.

I didn't see that incident as "bollocks on the first lap". MV lunged at LH forcing him off track in order to avoid a collision. That's against the rules. LH had no need to give the place back, less still to slow down to "return to the previous gap" as some commentators were suggesting.