You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

On 28/08/2022 at 19:07, tokyojoe said:

Haven't either of you got a woman to do that for you? Real men don't go into clothes shops.

No word of a lie my Dad would be in the pub on a Saturday and my Mum would go clothes shopping, bring them the pub to try on and take them back if they didn’t fit.

• Upvote 8

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

When your garage/shed is full of cardboard boxes because whenever I get one in the post I go 'decent box that, I'll keep that as it will come in handy at some point'

I keep the boxes that electrical stuff comes in just in case it has to go back.

My Mrs was looking for something in the loft a couple of weeks back and found the boxes for my speakers, amp, CD player etc that had been up there since 2005. not to mention the box for a Ferguson Videostar VHS recorder we had over 30 years ago.

There was even a box for an Amiga 600, plus boxes from various consoles my lad had as a kid, all gone to the tip now.

She's moaned her arse off and called me a hoarder, but in my defence I haven't been able to get up there for 25 years and as I told her, she was the one who put them up there since then anyway so * blew raspberry and flicked V's *.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

When your garage/shed is full of cardboard boxes because whenever I get one in the post I go 'decent box that, I'll keep that as it will come in handy at some point'

I use them for mulching - misses hates it every winter and spring as the garden looks like a cardboard factory. 

Mrs RiB was in hospital a few years ago. I was visiting her one day and she said "the lady over there......after you left yesterday she said "does your Dad visit you every day". She thought this was hilarious, then when she laughed it made her gallstones even more painful, so I guess I had the last laugh. I wouldnt mind but shes 3 years older than me.

As for the old lady, I disconnected her machines on the way out. Bitch.

• Upvote 7

Was helping a girl at work and I could see the customers birthdate on her screen. Mentioned that was my birthday as well. The girl says "that's my birthday as well" asked her what year and she said 2003. So I'm working with someone who was born on my 23rd birthday. It seems about five years ago but no apparently its 19 years ago

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Even if I decide I do need to pick it up, I’m very conscious to make sure nobody is looking. The risk of embarrassment, trying to get down to ground level and then back up again, seems to increase with every passing year. 

I know, I resemble a Giraffe drinking bending down so I tend to leave it. 

• Upvote 1

On 25/09/2022 at 12:30, manwiththestick said:

My 10 year son gave me a shoebox today and said keep this, we’re bound to need a shoebox at some stage. He’s an old man. 

25 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Finding out that food you previously liked now gives you galloping indigestion.

Bakers near me does the nicest the Belgian choc chunk shortbread. I used to practically inhale it. Had some yesterday and the only thing I was tasting afterwards was Rennies. Far too rich for me now.

I love a bacon or sausage butty but they're not the same without HP brown sauce which I've had to give up because the indigestion and heartburn is brutal.

7 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I love a bacon or sausage butty but they're not the same without HP brown sauce which I've had to give up because the indigestion and heartburn is brutal.

Bacon flavour crisps are a guarantee of indigestion for me. Any brand, there seems to be something in the flavouring that sets me off. I can eat any other flavour.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I couldn't imagine having a bacon or sausage sandwich without brown sauce so commiserations on your situation.

Have you tried other sauces? Obviously HP is the go to brand but I'm currently using Hammonds Chop which I also love from back when I was a kid.