You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Now I'm no huge fan of The Killers...

Chris

That's not to say I don't like them, I'll hear them on the radio or whatever and happily hum along to any number of their tracks. But there's one song that gets me, latching onto me like few have lately. A song that I'd have never heard had I not picked up a mini,plastic Gibson guitar with five multicoloured buttons.

Now within this track, is the possibly the most powerful lyric - one that truly resonates with me - of any song I think I've ever heard. The song is When You Were Young and the lyric is:

"And sometimes you close your eyes and see the place where you used to live when you were young."

Seems simple enough, right? Nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe it's the stage of my life I'm at currently. I'm neither at home or in Liverpool (where I felt at home most of the time), but faraway in this vast metropolis for the first time contemplating the mortality of those closest to me. Maybe all of this combined evokes more feelings of home, especially on summer evenings such as this, but that lyric just gets me - somewhere really deep inside it touches me. It makes the hairs rise on the back of my neck, makes me choked up a little bit sometimes.

Followed by the lyric is that really abrasive hammering of the same note into the breakdown of the song, which really does allow you to close your eyes envisage that place, where you played as a kid, spent time with your parents, had the most fun you ever had, where you grew up, found out who you were, had your first kiss, your first taste of love and heartbreak. It's secretes such a great power that part of the song. One of the few occasions where music can just dig out something in your heart.

There's a line in the film Stand By Me which always tugs at my heartstrings. In the final monologue. "But I never had friends again like the ones I had when I was twelve. Then again, who does?"

This is similar. The lyric makes me pine for that youth, the innocence and free spiritedness that comes with adolescence that can't ever be recaptured. Those long summer evenings in my beautiful little village out playing footy 'til all hours, sharing a lager shandy with my dad and his mates, walking the dog with my mum, feeding the lambs on my grandmas farm, walking with my mates up the hill that casts the shadow over our little part of the world as the sun creeps down over the back of it on nights like this very night.

It makes me think of all of that, it kinda fills me with a certain joy that I have all of this, that it'll always always be with me. But there's also dread and and an intense sense of ...what's the word... an aching desire, a yearning for those times that I'll never see again. I just pine for it. Home.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. As you were.

When I listen to the opening of 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins - I can't really pinpoint it to a line because it's just the general beat of the music, although if pushed I'd say it's 'Junebug skipping like a stone, With the headlights pointed at the dawn' - my head drifts off to a kind of amber sunset; and me running around on a quiet road outside my mate's house at the height of summer at about age 11, completely carefree and happy. Always makes me smile.

Now that I sound sufficiently like a pussy, I think I'll stop.

There's a line in Sleepers that goes along the lines of "Back then we were just kids and it felt like every summer would last forever". That's how it does feel when you are young. Growing up is scary and hard.

I think there is something to The Killers music in general that evokes reminiscence. Can You Read My Mind has the same effect on me. It just makes me picture this perfect Sunday afternoon that never even happened, where all my mates are there in a beer garden, chilling out after a great weekend. The Juke Box is blaring, everyone is buzzing and as the sun sets that tune comes on.

There's a line in Sleepers that goes along the lines of "Back then we were just kids and it felt like every summer would last forever". That's how it does feel when you are young. Growing up is scary and hard.

You sure thats not "Stand By Me" too?

What a cracking film that is, by the way.

Sawdust was not a new album they recorded, it was a collection of there b sides and a few covers. And it was still a pretty good album.

The first two albums are superb though. Good live band aswell.

Alex, did you score first tonight or have you cost me some Vmoney?

Some ballgreed wouldnt pass and scored with virtually the first kick of the game.

Cost myself V£200. Although Ive still made you V£90 all in all melons, and a hell of a lot more come Sunday night.

Frank Turner is the artist who gets to me. Almost every song he writes I can relate to, but theres one in particular called the Ballad of me and my Friends. The lyrics are just perfect.

Everybody's got themselves a plan,

Everybody thinks they'll be the man, including the girls.

The musicians who lack the friends to form a band are singer-songwriters,

The rest of us are DJ's or official club photographers.

And tonight I'm playing another Nambucca show,

So I'm going through my phonebook, texting everyone I know,

And I quite a few I don't, whose numbers found their way into my phone,

But they might come along anyway, you never really know.

None of this is going anywhere –

Pretty soon we'll all be old,

And no one left alive will really care

About our glory days, when we sold our souls.

But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.

We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.

And we're definitely going to hell,

But we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Just reading through this again, very nostalgic views of early puberty, whilst there was the odd good times, no way would i want to live my adolescent years again, it was rank, all i could think about was getting away from the shit hole place i lived in.

Edit, Alex, your lucky i still cant neg you!

Just reading through this again, very nostalgic views of early puberty, whilst there was the odd good times, no way would i want to live my adolescent years again, it was rank, all i could think about was getting away from the shit hole place i lived in.

Edit, Alex, your lucky i still cant neg you!

What the feck, Ive made you money you daft woman.

And youre gonna double youre money on the tetris thread. Have you seen my new fecking high score for feck sake!

Im going for a lie down.

That's not to say I don't like them, I'll hear them on the radio or whatever and happily hum along to any number of their tracks. But there's one song that gets me, latching onto me like few have lately. A song that I'd have never heard had I not picked up a mini,plastic Gibson guitar with five multicoloured buttons.

Now within this track, is the possibly the most powerful lyric - one that truly resonates with me - of any song I think I've ever heard. The song is When You Were Young and the lyric is:

"And sometimes you close your eyes and see the place where you used to live when you were young."

Seems simple enough, right? Nothing out of the ordinary.

Maybe it's the stage of my life I'm at currently. I'm neither at home or in Liverpool (where I felt at home most of the time), but faraway in this vast metropolis for the first time contemplating the mortality of those closest to me. Maybe all of this combined evokes more feelings of home, especially on summer evenings such as this, but that lyric just gets me - somewhere really deep inside it touches me. It makes the hairs rise on the back of my neck, makes me choked up a little bit sometimes.

Followed by the lyric is that really abrasive hammering of the same note into the breakdown of the song, which really does allow you to close your eyes envisage that place, where you played as a kid, spent time with your parents, had the most fun you ever had, where you grew up, found out who you were, had your first kiss, your first taste of love and heartbreak. It's secretes such a great power that part of the song. One of the few occasions where music can just dig out something in your heart.

There's a line in the film Stand By Me which always tugs at my heartstrings. In the final monologue. "But I never had friends again like the ones I had when I was twelve. Then again, who does?"

This is similar. The lyric makes me pine for that youth, the innocence and free spiritedness that comes with adolescence that can't ever be recaptured. Those long summer evenings in my beautiful little village out playing footy 'til all hours, sharing a lager shandy with my dad and his mates, walking the dog with my mum, feeding the lambs on my grandmas farm, walking with my mates up the hill that casts the shadow over our little part of the world as the sun creeps down over the back of it on nights like this very night.

It makes me think of all of that, it kinda fills me with a certain joy that I have all of this, that it'll always always be with me. But there's also dread and and an intense sense of ...what's the word... an aching desire, a yearning for those times that I'll never see again. I just pine for it. Home.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. As you were.

I've never really felt the same pangs for the times I had as a kid. I always seem to end up thinking back to the good times when I was at Uni and felt freedom that I'd never felt before, with friends I'll now stay intouch with till we die. That said, I still enjoyed reading that and it's just made me think of some brilliant times as a kid. Nice.

Oh and in terms of being moved by a song, Johhny Cash's cover of Hurt and it's corresponding video is one of the most moving things I have ever seen in my entire life.

Good point. Concurred.

Do either of you like the Nine Inch Nails version? There's something a little more dark about it, and you've got the personal aspect as it was Reznor that felt that way.

Do either of you like the Nine Inch Nails version? There's something a little more dark about it, and you've got the personal aspect as it was Reznor that felt that way.

Yeah, I love the Nine Inch Nails version as well, I just find that Cash sings it better and the circumstances around the song and the video make it all the more poignant. I think in years to come, people will be remembering the Cash version rather than the NIN version.

It's a shame as you say because it's a personal song to Trent Reznor. I'd imagine that he wasn't that happy about someone else coving it.