You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Much-maligned trio starting to shine

silverlining

Dirk Kuyt, John Arne Riise and Xabi Alonso have not been short of critics this season, but all three were excellent last night.

Riise looked fit, sharp and even quite quick. He monstered Ljungberg and formed a great partnership with Babel on the left. Good to have the real Johnny Rockets back, I hope he keeps it up.

Hard work Dirk is another who hasn't had the best of seasons, although he has managed 9 goals, from an ostensibly wide right position. His passing and crossing and hard work created several chances and he and Torres linked well at times. He's in a good run of form.

And finally Xabi. Another player I've always had a soft spot for. He looked something like the great player he can be last night. Metronomic passing and some lovely vision.

Well done all three. Keep it up.

Thought Riise was better than ok. He looked pretty assured considering Aurelio could have nabbed his spot. Been feeling nervous at times with Aurelio recently but was relaxed with Johnny in. He kept trying to back up the attacks and was making some nice runs, not just down the wings, but centrally, closer to the top of the box.

Dirk Kuyt, John Arne Riise and Xabi Alonso have not been short of critics this season, but all three were excellent last night.

Riise looked fit, sharp and even quite quick. He monstered Ljungberg and formed a great partnership with Babel on the left. Good to have the real Johnny Rockets back, I hope he keeps it up.

Hard work Dirk is another who hasn't had the best of seasons, although he has managed 9 goals, from an ostensibly wide right position. His passing and crossing and hard work created several chances and he and Torres linked well at times. He's in a good run of form.

And finally Xabi. Another player I've always had a soft spot for. He looked something like the great player he can be last night. Metronomic passing and some lovely vision.

Well done all three. Keep it up.

Agreed. It's great to have genuinely positive - and deserved - things to say about the team (and manager who's the brains behind it, obviously).

Have to agree with all the posts.. it amazes me that certain people on here (won't mention any names) won't join this thread to say well done but would be quick to jump on it if it was slagging one of the players or manager off.

We need some positive stuff on here and this is a good start!

I always had faith that Alonso would come back strongly as he has such a huge amount of character, which allied to his undoubted ability gave me great confidence in him.

As for the other two, i am glad that Dirk is playing well again and him being removed from the spotlight somewhat with the system we are using now has allowed him to focus more on his team contribution knowing that now scoring is somewhat of a bonus than a necessity. Obviously the form of Torres is key to that.

Riise, although he did play well yesterday, i would still suggest he needs to perform to that level for a few games consistently before i start to heap praise. He has been so poor before the last couple of games that my benefit of the doubt inst there. Ljungberg really isnt a good player any more so he had very little to worry about and could get forward more. He needs better end product still although again this was improved.

I've never bought this whole "Alonso's been shit" thing (although I know that's not what you're saying); he's just not been fully fit.

i agree entirely paul, everytime he has been injured he has taken a little while to get back up to speed, and this is no different. I still think he is a great footballer and will be hugely important to us in the future as well as now.

Kuyt started to shine 4 weeks back but people couldnt get over their agendas.

I personally think Kuyt's been playing well since and including the Chelsea game. His charging around has had a lot more purpose to it. I don't think he's changed his style of playing, he's just in a role more suited to him and the confidence is obviously growing. I think other strikers in the past that were used to leading the line (Morientes, Cisse) couldn't get to grips with not being number one but Kuyt seems to not suffer with ego problems (granted, don't think Morientes did either - just wasn't his place). It was good to see Jermaine getting a run out yesterday but with Gerrard bombing it around the position calls for someone a little more defensive minded, who has the energy to chip in both attacking and defending.

I will, however, hold my hands up and say prior to this I got pissed off with him at times.

Riise sucks and Fabio rules!

I prefer Aurelio, especially from an attacking point of view, but he's seemed a little unsure recently with some wayward passing. I know he's been out and hope he gets back up to form soon as he's shown he's a good player, a good worker and has a sweet left foot.

Respect also due for the corker against Bolton.

I've never bought this whole "Alonso's been shit" thing (although I know that's not what you're saying); he's just not been fully fit.

I think the most frustrating thing is how deep he's played. He was awesome in his first two seasons when he was pushing up the field and playing all these intricate balls through in the final third. He hasn't really done that at all the past year.

He's definitely not shit though and I love the bones of the fella.

Guest TK-421
Those who have doubted and thinks Alonso have been shite knows fuck all about football.

Simple as that.

Or, and I know this is a bit radical, they just have a different opinion to you.