You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a Podcast

Anny Road

If anybody wants a great podcast, listen to episode 115 of ‘Jocko Podcast’ with Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer. If you’re in any way interest in military, war, or bravery in general. It’s the best episode of a podcast I’ve ever listened to.

Gave that a listen mate and he is a hugely admirable guy. Can’t imagine courage like that.

Still wince at the flag waiving attitude of America though. Apparently as he says they only go to war to give to bullies a hiding and to make the world a better place.

Plus he was saying how they are such a superior war fighting machine simply because of the heart and brotherhood of the lads on the ground. Not because of superior weapons and technology. However his whole story is about how the whole squad got wiped out by the taliban, villages and wives carrying weapons in baskets simply because of the failure to call in artillery fire missions and fast jet air support. Kind of the opposite in fact.

Still a good listen and a good man. Humble.

Gave that a listen mate and he is a hugely admirable guy. Can’t imagine courage like that.

Still wince at the flag waiving attitude of America though. Apparently as he says they only go to war to give to bullies a hiding and to make the world a better place.

Plus he was saying how they are such a superior war fighting machine simply because of the heart and brotherhood of the lads on the ground. Not because of superior weapons and technology. However his whole story is about how the whole squad got wiped out by the taliban, villages and wives carrying weapons in baskets simply because of the failure to call in artillery fire missions and fast jet air support. Kind of the opposite in fact.

Yeah, I've got a lot of friends in the American military. They're very much the same. We look at it from a bit of a different perspective though. I did like how open he was about their failures though. Some was heart wrenching. The things he has seen... Fuck me.

I got the message that the fear of the civilian casualties meant that the US were happy to sacrifice some of their own.

Nobody wants to fuck up. You've got to give the call to the guys in the ground though.

I’m with you, one of my friends was one of the first into Helmand and had to give the order to fix bayonets due to a similar fuck-up.

It’s so fucking difficult to get right. Dear soldiers wouldn’t get as much publicity as dead civilians.

Some of the Jocko ones are good. When he’s reading a story about incredibly brave soldiers and the like I find it difficult to moan about my sore knees.

I prefer generally chit chat than story telling. The David Goggins one on Rogan was brilliant but they are few and far between.

The 'Quickly Kevin Will He Score' podcast is good value for me.

The interview with Lawro in particular was fucking brilliant.

Actually the Jim Rosenthal one was even better.

It's all about 90's football, and although you have to suffer listening to Josh Widdicombe, it's ok, he's not truly annoying because he's talking football and it's ok.  It's ok.

I really like Jocko Podcast, you know. Anybody on the train?

EDIT: Stupid cunt. 

I mean, yeah, I'm with Rico on Jocko.

I listened to one on your recommendation, NV.  It was truly riveting up to the point when Jocko went all Uncle Sam and was nearly blubbing about how great America is.  A bit Glenn Beck for my liking.

That aside, I will read that book.  The bit when he describes killing the Afghan with a rock blew me away.  I had loads of respect for the way he described the Afghans he worked with, but the fact that he didn't name them or mourn for them kind of detracted from the sentiment he gave earlier about them being equals to his American comrades.

I'm being picky, I know, as overall it is definitely worth a (long) listen.

For the record, I hate Adam Buxton.  A posh bore.  I can't stand cosseted metropolitan types commenting on modern culture.  He is not as charming as he thinks he is, and certainly well short of his idol Louis Theroux.  At least Miles Jupp is funny.

I find the equivalent would be someone like Matt Dawson.

"Buckles".  Shut up.

I listened to one on your recommendation, NV. It was truly riveting up to the point when Jocko went all Uncle Sam and was nearly blubbing about how great America is. A bit Glenn Beck for my liking.

That aside, I will read that book. The bit when he describes killing the Afghan with a rock blew me away. I had loads of respect for the way he described the Afghans he worked with, but the fact that he didn't name them or mourn for them kind of detracted from the sentiment he gave earlier about them being equals to his American comrades.

For the record, I hate Adam Buxton. A posh bore. I can't stand cosseted metropolitan types commenting on modern culture. He is not as charming as he thinks he is, and certainly well short of his idol Louis Theroux. At least Miles Jupp is funny.

"Buckles". Shut up.

He definitely has the ability to go full American. That said, I can understand it when you do what they've done. M

I listened to one on your recommendation, NV. It was truly riveting up to the point when Jocko went all Uncle Sam and was nearly blubbing about how great America is. A bit Glenn Beck for my liking.

That aside, I will read that book. The bit when he describes killing the Afghan with a rock blew me away. I had loads of respect for the way he described the Afghans he worked with, but the fact that he didn't name them or mourn for them kind of detracted from the sentiment he gave earlier about them being equals to his American comrades.

For the record, I hate Adam Buxton. A posh bore. I can't stand cosseted metropolitan types commenting on modern culture. He is not as charming as he thinks he is, and certainly well short of his idol Louis Theroux. At least Miles Jupp is funny.

"Buckles". Shut up.

You can’t like everyone. But Louis is his mate, his class mate in fact. Bowie is his idol.