You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a Podcast

Anny Road

I haven't mate. I did read a brilliant, long read, article about it recently though, that I posted on here.

I don't see any argument that ASI would recognise borders.

The basic context was that the creator might be able to shape the AI so it viewed itself as American/Russian/Korean and therefore identified with them and any cause they followed.

The basic context was that the creator might be able to shape the AI so it viewed itself as American/Russian/Korean and therefore identified with them and any cause they followed.

I think that the exponential explosion in intelligence you'd get would take it well away from irrelevances such as nationhood. Building rules in so it doesn't turn the whole planet into fucking drawing pins or paper clips will be hard enough.

It would be thinking on a level above what we can even comprehend. It'd be like ants creating humans and thinking they'll give a shit about them.

Might give it a listen though. Should be interesting.

I think that the exponential explosion in intelligence you'd get would take it well away from irrelevances such as nationhood. Building rules in so it doesn't turn the whole planet into fucking drawing pins or paper clips will be hard enough.

It would be thinking on a level above what we can even comprehend. It'd be like ants creating humans and thinking they'll give a shit about them.

Might give it a listen though. Should be interesting.

Ha, they make that point. We give it a problem such as "stop us all receiving tonnes of spam" and the answer may be - kill everyone so they can no longer receive email.

One that I have just stumbled upon that looks like it might be an absolute gem is the KEXP podcast from Seattle. They are a music station that have loads of great bands that come in and do sessions for them and these sessions, of about four songs at a time, are all there ready to be downloaded. A huge library of music sessions.

That's the fucking fucker. I've been trying to remember the name of this for ages.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

If anybody wants a great podcast, listen to episode 115 of ‘Jocko Podcast’ with Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer. If you’re in any way interest in military, war, or bravery in general. It’s the best episode of a podcast I’ve ever listened to.

Heavy going isn’t it?

If anybody wants a great podcast, listen to episode 115 of ‘Jocko Podcast’ with Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer. If you’re in any way interest in military, war, or bravery in general. It’s the best episode of a podcast I’ve ever listened to.

Only got through 2 hours so far...

Once you get past the bravado (I know that’s not the right term, but the American war yeeha bullshit you’re used to) it’s reallt quite moving.