You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The munich disaster poster

RedinSweden

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Munich disaster poster vandalised

I can't believe they put the sponsors logo on that. Can you imagine if they did a Hillsborough memorial sponsored by Carlsberg. Do they think that people don't know that AIG are the club sponsors? Can't they miss just one little advertisiing opportunity. Fucking sickening.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Munich disaster poster vandalised

I can't believe they put the sponsors logo on that. Can you imagine if they did a Hillsborough memorial sponsored by Carlsberg. Do they think that people don't know that AIG are the club sponsors? Can't they miss just one little advertisiing opportunity. Fucking sickening.

is typical. I've heard that the first one didn't even have the words right either and they had to change it. To be fair to them loads of their fans have kicked off over it though

They built their whole club on the back of that disaster dont forget.

Here is a great letter from a city fan about the upcoming game;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The derby match on Feb 10th, as we now know, will be used by Manchester United to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the ****** air crash. This is because it is your nearest home game to the actual anniversary itself. There are some concerns that the proposed minute's silence will not be honoured by City fans and the overwhelming majority of us are horrified by that prospect. Most of us are decent people who love a bit of banter but know where to draw the line.

I know that the tragedy affected everyone in Manchester at the time and it was fairly common for fans to visit Old Trafford and Maine Road on consecutive weeks, regardless of their main allegiance. My grandfather was a red but often went to Maine Road. One of the fans who died was a great friend of my uncle's so it hit my family directly.

Those were different times and we all know that things have not changed wholly for the better in the world of football over the intervening 50 years.

However, even decent people like me (and the majority on here) are getting a bit fed up with the sanctimonious rubbish coming out of your club.

I sincerely hope we will respect the dead but how have your club done that over the years? Let me give you a few examples.

Many of the players who died had club houses and their families were apparently turfed out of those houses after a decent interval. Johnny Berry survived the crash but was so badly affected that he didn't play again and was also thrown out of his club-owned house a year later. Jackie Blanchflower's daughter (he survived) summed up the feeling of the families when she supposedly said "Were the ones that died the ones that got away with it?"

In 1997, the survivors got together to formulate a plan to ask the club for some compensation, via a benefit game. This went ahead in August 1998 and each family got £47,000. Eric Cantona came over for the game and is believed to have charged over £90,000 travel and accomodation expenses for his entourage. So Cantona, presumably not a poor man, got TWICE as much out of it as each of the families.

The club charges people to see an exhibition which made nearly £2m in 2006 and supposedly none of the money goes to the families. They have sold a vast quantity of merchandise over the years and apparently not a single penny has gone to the families.

Ray Wood, the goalkeeper at the time of the disaster said "They received massive international support following the disaster. But they didn't treat people properly then, did nothing for us all those years, and they're still making money out of it directly now."

I hope to god that things go well on the day and it is remembered both for the football and the dignity of the event. But your club has been disrespecting those who died virtually every day for the last 50 years. That's more than 25 million minutes. Direct your anger at them.