You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Babel - Play me as a striker

coop

From the Offal

BABEL: MY REPERTOIRE OF GOALS

Paul Hassall 22 January 2008

Ryan Babel is confident he has the full range of striking skills to go on and make a big impression in the Premier League goal charts.

The Dutch starlet admits he is still settling into life in England following his summer move from Ajax but already boasts a haul of seven goals in what has been an eye-catching debut season so far.

It is a respectable tally for a player often deployed in the wide areas and something he believes is down to his ability to score with a variety of finishes.

"It is important to know I am not just relying on one type of goal," Babel told Liverpool's official matchday programme.

"For example, some strikers have to wait for a cross to come over and if it doesn't they find it difficult to score.

"I try to practice a lot, shooting with the inside of my boot from outside the area."

Despite being the club's third highest scorer alongside Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun, Babel's impact on matches has often been as a second-half substitute.

In fact, five of his goals have come as result of his emergence from the bench.

But it is not a situation that has surprised him and he admits it has helped to keep the pressure off as Rafael Benitez has slowly introduced him to the rigours of the English league.

"The manager has told me from the start that this would be the case at first," he said.

"He tells me that even though he paid a lot of money for me I must not think about that. He says I am still young and will improve with time.

"This is good for me to hear and gives me the confidence that I can train and work without worrying too much."

The Holland international's pace and direct style has already seen some of the games great names draw comparisons between him and the Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

Indeed, before he set the Premier League alight as a marauding forward the Frenchman was primarily recognised as a winger in his early years.

It is a fact that has not been lost on Babel who hopes to one day follow the same route as the Barcelona man.

"Henry is a player I always looked to when I was younger," he enthused.

"He did great things for Arsenal and I can only look at a player like that and try to develop as much as possible along similar lines.

"Henry was my number one idol.

"I have played most of my career as a striker and probably see myself in that role one day.

"Hopefully I will get the chance to play as a striker and that is how people will see me.

"I developed as a striker at Ajax but also have the ability to play as a winger.

"It's not that I don't like playing as a winger. It is an important part of developing my game and is a good way for me to get minutes on the pitch right now.

"The boss knows how I am thinking and I believe one day he will show faith in me to play as a striker."

I would just bring him on slowly as Rafa is currently doing, it wouldnt take the crowd long to get on his back after a few average performances, which could ruin him, many a striker has been ruined here.

Are you saying that the crowd have ruined players by getting on their backs? I think that's harsh if so. The crowd are quite patient I reckon and give players a good chance to prove themselves.

Babel couldn't do any worse than Kuyt or Voronin, i'm certain of that.

You could also say that a player who crumbles under the pessure, isn't worth it anyway!

Next season will be his to grab lots of glory alongside Torres.

As long as Kuyt is shipped the fuck back to Holland, because if he is still here Rafa will keep selecting him and let him play the full 90 minutes no matter how shit he is.... Part of the on the wing as well, understand it those who can?

It's as if he is thinking; I bought him, I have to use him.......

Ryan Babel has been impressing recently, are you considering to play him up-front with Torres?

He prefers to play as a striker but we have four very good strikersO_o. Ryan is Dutch and like Bergkamp and Van Persie he will need one or two years to settle down. He will need time and we have time to support him. In the future he could be a striker, but at the moment we need him to play on the left side.

Thats what Rafa had to say about Babel as a striker, seems like he won't be playing there much for a while which is disappointing.

Are you saying that the crowd have ruined players by getting on their backs? I think that's harsh if so. The crowd are quite patient I reckon and give players a good chance to prove themselves.

You could also say that a player who crumbles under the pessure, isn't worth it anyway!

The trouble is, he is only a kid in football terms and should be nurtured as Rafa see's fit, he does know a little bit more about football and Ryan Babel in particular, more than you or i will ever know.

Comes as no big surprise him saying that. LFC did the same to Cissè and we all know what happened to him in the end ??

I don't think the situation is comparable since Cisse was older, had not been playing on the wing for Ajax quite a lot and is in any case a man of limited football intelligence. It hardly ruined Henry playing on the wing for a bit and since everyone insists on making that comparison with Babel it at least serves as a very good counter-example.

Although this isnt about Babel, there is growing minority that do get on players backs at the match. I will go back to the Marseille game and the bile pouring down on Momo and Leto if a pass wasnt right, from small sections of the Lower Centenary and Main Stand, was disgusting. Yet, other players can do no wrong and get support from the crowd if things go wrong. Whether this has actually ruined players low on confidence, I dont know, but it certainly wont help them.

You could say that about a player crumbling under pressure, of course, as I said, there does seem to be a growing minority of supporters who wont give certain players any time at all. A player with potential only seems to be given one game these days and then its decided that he is good or shite. Leto again springs to mind. He's not pulled up any trees, granted, and he may not make it here, but for some people to decide he is utter shite after 4 games, is ridiculous.

Sorry to steer away from the main point of the thread, but in wanting to answer those points, I was just using different examples.

I don't think the situation is comparable since Cisse was older, had not been playing on the wing for Ajax quite a lot and is in any case a man of limited football intelligence. It hardly ruined Henry playing on the wing for a bit and since everyone insists on making that comparison with Babel it at least serves as a very good counter-example.

Just trying to point out that we`ve had good strikers before who were sold: Anelka (brilliant before and after LFC period), Morientes (same).

We`ve had that striker problem for years now. Only Torres seems to deliver.

Guest davelfc
Read the last line that Babel says.

My point stands. Although he is saying that, he's not saying he wants to be played as a striker now. I just think it's the kind of slant a tabloid would take and we'd all be up in arms. No offence.

I would play Babel alongside Torres for every match from now until the end of the season. Give them a chance to work up some sort of understanding. It could be good: really good. Babel is skilful, has fast feet and a decent touch. It is sometimes a bit heavy, but I put that down to the over-enthusiasm that comes with youth. His youth/inexperience leads to him making poor choices sometimes too, but there is enough in his game that makes me really want to see him develop a partnership with Torres.

The downsides will all improve with more playing time. I really feel that if he can work up a great understanding with Torres then we'll be sorted for years to come. You can see Babel running the channels and stretching the defences. This will open up more space for Nando. Babel will also offer his own threat with his pace, shooting, dribbling and direct style.

On the downside, if it doesn't really work then at least Rafa will know he needs another striker in the summer.

My point stands. Although he is saying that, he's not saying he wants to be played as a striker now. I just think it's the kind of slant a tabloid would take and we'd all be up in arms. No offence.

None taken but for me in that article Babel is saying he is enjoying his time at Liverpool and is still settling in. He is also saying that whilst he can play as a winger he does feel his future lies as playing as a striker and at the end he states that he hopes Rafa will play him as a striker.

I wasnt creating the thread as some sort of sensational headline and if i was doing so i would have added a few !!! at the end.

I rate Babel very highly and it kills me to see players like Kuyt struggling to make an impact during a game when we have a player we his raw talent sat on the bench waiting to get on.

I agree with giving the lad time and yes Rafa so far seems to be nurturing him well but because of our circumstances maybe its time to see if the lad could handle 5 or 6 games in a row, ideally upfront partnering Torres and see what happens there.

Guest davelfc

I'd actually play him as a striker myself, from the start. I would have done a few weeks ago, if he gets a partnership going with Torres then you could ship at least one striker out.

I would play Babel alongside Torres for every match from now until the end of the season. Give them a chance to work up some sort of understanding. It could be good: really good. Babel is skilful, has fast feet and a decent touch. It is sometimes a bit heavy, but I put that down to the over-enthusiasm that comes with youth. His youth/inexperience leads to him making poor choices sometimes too, but there is enough in his game that makes me really want to see him develop a partnership with Torres.

The downsides will all improve with more playing time. I really feel that if he can work up a great understanding with Torres then we'll be sorted for years to come. You can see Babel running the channels and stretching the defences. This will open up more space for Nando. Babel will also offer his own threat with his pace, shooting, dribbling and direct style.

On the downside, if it doesn't really work then at least Rafa will know he needs another striker in the summer.

Agree with all of that.

Babel is raw but he's gifted, he deserves a shout up front.

To be honest he doesn't seem that bothered about playing on the wing this season himself, he is learning his trade so to speak. He knows that once he develops as a striker, he is going to find himself out wide and in the channels so this will only improve his game. And as he says, it gets him minutes on the pitch.

Rafa seems to be communicating the reasons behind his decisions to Babel quite well, so is therefore keeping him happy and he's not feeling any pressure because of that.

That's why we are not seeing him playing in a striker role much and after reading this I don't now think that we will this season (although I would personally like to see him given a go up front with Torres).

I'd like to see the Torres/Babel partnership given a go, its just that based on what the article says, and reading between the lines, I think Babel has been told that he is playing on the wing this season to give him minutes on the pitch and to learn his trade, while not having the burden and pressure of having to score x amount of goals. He seems to be happy with that. It also comes across that he has some sort of assurance that he will be given a go up front at some stage though, whether it be in cup competitions or next season?

I think Rafa has been playing him right so far. He is coming along nicely and just chucking him in up front could back-fire.

I just hope Rafa can lose his blind-spot about Kuyt and start with Torres and Crouch most games - bringing Babel on as one of them tires.