You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone listening to Radio City confirm this? Someone posted it on another forum.

"Just heard on radio City sport that the chairman of DIC Sameer Al Ansari has said that if they do take over Rafa's job isn't guaranteed, and he's gonna have to prove he's the right man for the job!"

Anyone listening to Radio City confirm this? Someone posted it on another forum.

"Just heard on radio City sport that the chairman of DIC Sameer Al Ansari has said that if they do take over Rafa's job isn't guaranteed, and he's gonna have to prove he's the right man for the job!"

Can't see that to be honest. Lets not go down the road of debating his future at the moment anyway. The ownership problem is where the focus should be for now. The managers future can be resolved when this is sorted.

Slightly off topic but those google ads just had ads for Man united related stuff for Fucks sake! :whistle:

I had a thought last night. DIC would maybe want their own man if they took over, Hicks still wants to 'win' his argument. So, I wouldnt be surprised to see Hicks and DIC make some sort of deal so that Hicks sacks Rafa and walks, and then DIC take over and do what they want there.

Sheer personal cog-spinning speculation mind, but I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen.

Which would be fair.

I don't think he'd be making comments about Rafa at this stage.

There was something similar in a newspaper article a couple of days ago which did say that Rafa wouldn't automatically be safe if new owners come in.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Liverpool | Liverpool duo bank on £350m loan

Liverpool duo bank on £350m loan

By Phil McNulty

Chief football writer

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett hope to complete a £350m refinancing deal on Thursday to secure their immediate Anfield future.

City observers said on Tuesday the package was under threat, with Dubai International Capital (DIC), waiting in the wings with a proposed takeover bid.

But BBC Sport has learned that Hicks expects to seal the deal imminently.

The package is expected to help the American duo repay money borrowed for their £218.9m takeover in March 2007.

606: DEBATE

What do you think of what is going on at Liverpool?

They would also then be able to repay loans used to sign players last summer and start work on a re-scaled plan for a new stadium in Stanley Park.

If the re-financing package, which has been agreed with the Royal Bank of Scotland and American bank Wachovia, goes ahead as expected, it will strengthen the Americans' position at Anfield.

And Hicks will also feel he will be in a stronger position should he decide to sell in the future, dealing a blow to DIC's hopes of mounting a swift bid to take control at Anfield.

Hicks and Gillett were the target of crowd demonstrations from Liverpool supporters unhappy with their regime during Monday's televised game against Aston Villa, with banners calling for DIC to mount a bid.

But Hicks, in particular, has remained defiant in the face of protests and insisted he had no intention of selling his 50% share in the club.

"I've not received any offer to purchase the club from DIC or anyone else, much less accepted any such offer," Hicks said on Monday.

It remains to be seen whether DIC, the investment arm of the Dubai government, will now pull out of a proposed bid to take control at Anfield, with the refinancing package unlikely to clear all the clouds of uncertainty over the club.

BBC Sport revealed on Saturday that DIC's interest had been seriously re-ignited and a potential bid was in place.

But it is believed DIC have made it clear they will not pay over the odds for Liverpool, and are not prepared to give Hicks and Gillett a huge profit if they sell.

Some City sources believe the new deal, and its interest payments, will only be a financial "sticking plaster" and DIC will wait to see if there are further problems for Hicks and Gillett while maintaining an interest in buying Liverpool.

Liverpool decided to sell to Hicks and Gillett instead of DIC in March 2007 but the American businessmen, and Hicks in particular, have been criticised for the way they have run the club.

Hicks admitted holding talks with Jurgen Klinsmann last November about the German taking over from Rafael Benitez as manager.

The owners and Benitez have also had a very public spat after the Spaniard criticised their transfer policy.

If Hicks has cemented his position via the loan, Benitez's long-term prospects look bleak.

And Liverpool fans will be even more critical after an interview, first broadcast on the Major League Baseball website six months ago, was publicised by the British press on Wednesday.

"People are worried that I might take money away from the Texas Rangers [Hicks' baseball franchise] to go to Liverpool," Hicks said.

"But it is just the reverse. Liverpool is going to throw off lots of extra money which, if I choose to, I can use for the Rangers or the Dallas Stars ice hockey team."

Sorry if posted already - has todays date on but looks familiar

Trouble hits Liverpool FC owner’s plans for huge loan - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

CONTROVERSIAL plans by the owners of Liverpool FC to restructure their debt have hit a problem.

City sources said today that the proposed £350m deal with the Royal Bank of Scotland could collapse, and DIC is waiting in the wings to make a move for the club should that happen.

Tom Hicks says the deal is on course, but speculation is growing about George Gillett's ability to secure the loan.

The source said: "There is no doubt that Hicks is ready to put up the money that the RBS has asked for. But the situation may not be the same with Gillett."

The situation is also clouded by the ongoing crisis in the US and Canadian stock markets.

Financial experts now believe a recession is almost inevitable.

With Hicks and Gillett having secured the initial loan to buy Liverpool against assets in American and Canada, their financial position is not as strong today as it was just 24 hours ago.

The source added: "This crash could not have come at a worse time for Hicks and Gillett, there is no question about that.

"Every bank and lending agency will be tightening its belt and RBS maybe more than most because they suffered big losses in yesterday's downturn.

"That means anyone seeking a major loan will have to prove to them that they have the necessary assets to secure it against and Gillett could have a hard time proving this is the case – and that's if he wants to prove it."

Tom Hicks recently promised to have financial restructuring – which would heap around £350m of debt onto the club – completed by the end of last week.

With that deadline now having passed, he is facing a race against time to get it done because the initial one-year loan the duo took out with the RBS to buy the club a year ago expires in a fortnight.

DIC is watching events unfold with interest and, should refinancing not take place, is ready to bid for the club.

Meanwhile, fans’ movement Reclaim The Kop is to ask supporters to boycott RBS and its products should the bank push ahead with the loan to Hicks and Gillett.

Changed from "But BBC Sport has learned the pair are convinced the deal is imminent." yesterday. I wonder if it's Hicks briefing these? If so, theres hope yet.

I read elsewhere that Gillett is struggling to come up with the extra money that the banks are demanding as a "guarantee".

Could it be that Gillett will opt to sell his 50% to DIC? Just a thought.

Hicks & DIC together - blood bath I reckon.

I read elsewhere that Gillett is struggling to come up with the extra money that the banks are demanding as a "guarantee".

Could it be that Gillett will opt to sell his 50% to DIC? Just a thought.

Hicks & DIC together - blood bath I reckon.

hard to tell.

there was a post yesterday,some guy said dic were about to make an offer,he also said dont be fooled by gilletts low profile,him and hicks are as tight as ever,and both pulling in the same direction,who knows though?

DIC have already said that they will not pay over the odds for the club and have more or less stated that if Hicks and Gillett get their loan then DIC will walk away.

There is no way that DIC will allow themselves to be made to look foolish by making a bid and it turned down therefore i think Hicks will announce the new loan and DIC will say fair enough you have made your bed now lie in it.

DIC will not overpay but Hicks will want a huge profit, unfortunatly for me them securing the loan means that we are stuck with them.

Still leaves the small matter of getting 350m together to pay for the new stadium though. HIcks has been saying the financing is about to be done since November, they've pulled back on making any announcement on the stadium. Surely it takes more than hot air to secure 350m these days?

If they do keep hold, in 12 months we'll be back going through all this again.