You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe's Derby Piece

Bourbon

Our fans form our own opinions, it has fuck all to do with the rags. 75% were livid with the team selection at Pompey and many were hacked with Torres on the bench against Birmingham before a ball was kicked and before a hack started writing... same goes for the Everton game and the Gerrard stuff.

After reading that, it confirms that he is over-compensating probably to appease Everton fans reading the piece who obviusly know he used to be the Liverpool FC correspondent for the Echo. Poorly written, typical tabloid and we shouldn't be surprised as anything to do with the S*n is a disgrace, all the more reason to carry on with the 18 year boycott of the guttter rag, and that includes the News of the World, which as everyone knows is the Sunday S*n.

I often wonder whether people like the Editor and sub-editor etc know their market really well and dumb everything down as they know their readership are semi-illiterate fuckwitted refugees from the jeremy Kyle show.

Or they ensure all their writers write in one style as it's easy to do and promotes brand unity, seriously underestimating the intelligence of their readership in the process.

Who kjnows - probably a bit of both

I often wonder whether people like the Editor and sub-editor etc know their market really well and dumb everything down as they know their readership are semi-illiterate fuckwitted refugees from the jeremy Kyle show.

Or they ensure all their writers write in one style as it's easy to do and promotes brand unity, seriously underestimating the intelligence of their readership in the process.

Who kjnows - probably a bit of both

The NOTW has got more ABC1 readers than The Sunday Times, so they clearly aren't all "semi-illiterate fuckwitted refugees".

Very fuckin poor. I appreciate he's not supposed to go to overboard but for fucks sake you wouldnt know he was a l'pool fan.

Dont agree with the debate about gerrards pen. Hes runnin at speed, hibbert has got hold of his top and there is physical contact to the leg. He is going to go down, its going to be a pen and hibbbert is gonna get sent off.

To get headlines if any decision goes 1 way they try to look for anythin else that can make it look like everything went that way but in my opinion its only the lescott last min pen that went against them.

Then why do they dumb down so much? What's the incentive and how do they make money out of it?

I think you'd be surprised at how many people buy one "tabloid" and also "one quality" paper on a Sunday, one for a quick scan, the other for the supplements and more weighty analysis.

And the NOTW is far, far better than it used to be; I think the football coverage is pretty good.

(No, I don't work for the News Of The World)