You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Racism in Southern America..

Stouffer

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I love a bit of black face, me. It’s just so funny to look at a white person with paint on their face pretending to be a black person. Seriously, does comedy get any funnier than that? I mean, men dressing up as women is pretty good, but blacking up really hits the spot. 

Robert Downey junior in Tropic Thunder was hilarious. But blackface was the joke in that situation.

3 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

Robert Downey junior in Tropic Thunder was hilarious. But blackface was the joke in that situation.

Yeah, I only like the ones that are making fun out of black people. ‘cause, ya know. Funny, innit. Now, I’m off to the pub with my bulldog for a nice English ale, then back home for some egg and chips. I might even catch the Morris dancing on the way home. 

God bless you, Ma’am. 

So where do we all stand on White Chicks?

EDIT: Pulling Little Britain I can understand. But Bo Selecta was always taking the piss out of the person, not the race. Mel B even appears on the Proper Crimbo video.

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I love a bit of black face, me. It’s just so funny to look at a white person with paint on their face pretending to be a black person. Seriously, does comedy get any funnier than that? I mean, men dressing up as women is pretty good, but blacking up really hits the spot. 

Maybe they just self-identify as black, you bigot.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The idea that Churchill engineered the Bengal famine is revisionist nonsense. It's almost like something else might have been happening in 1943 that diverted attention and resources elsewhere.

Yeah the use of men, machinery and finance was more important to help Churchill who already had the worlds biggest superpower bailing him out was more important than trying to see millions from dying of starvation and disease. I'm sure he spent a lot of time deciding if they should be sacrificed or not. 

The guy was an evil twat there is no other argument to be had.

Jimmy Saville raised millions for charity. 

• Upvote 2

The problem is with worshipping individuals is that when you find out they aren’t perfect and do have flaws there’s a temptation to double down and deny it.  Can’t think of any recent examples though.  

Was Churchill perfect? No

Did he prevent us from losing the war and then go in to play a major part in us winning it? Yes

Should all elements of his history be taught? Yes 

Is comparing him to Hitler fucking stupid? Yes 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah the use of men, machinery and finance was more important to help Churchill who already had the worlds biggest superpower bailing him out was more important than trying to see millions from dying of starvation and disease. I'm sure he spent a lot of time deciding if they should be sacrificed or not. 

The guy was an evil twat there is no other argument to be had.

Jimmy Saville raised millions for charity. 

I'm not disputing that Churchill's policies exacerbated the problem, and that he wasn't super bothered about what happened to people in India. But the idea that he bears responsibility for the whole thing is contrary to reality.

The evil twat we needed at that crucial point in our history.

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, he might have saved us from subjugation under the Nazis, but on the other hand, he was a bit mean about some minorities (like everyone else at that time).

Engineering a famine that killed 4 million = being "a bit mean".

Dashing off a hurried Facebook post about a dodgy mural = Worse than Hitler!