You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brian Reade...

Kopite

I've just started the book and I don't get why he thanks Rick Parry in the acknowledgements.

Parry met up with Reade to contribute to the book, you'll read that later on.

I am about 3/4 through and I've had it 24hours, must read for any red this. Frightening account.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parry met up with Reade to contribute to the book, you'll read that later on.

I am about 3/4 through and I've had it 24hours, must read for any red this. Frightening account.

I am about 60% in and it has been interesting so far. Some bits and pieces are funny now but it wouldn't have been funny had we read it 8 months ago. Scary to read how fucked up we were. I can't even imagine how much shit we will be in if they are still in charge!

I'm right near the end now, just finished the chapter detailing the Kop Faithful campaign.

Tell you what, the lads off here who were the brains behind that idea, the likes of ATK, Dougie and StevieH who went above and beyond the call of duty, are an absolute credit to the club and this website. Such a simple concept, yet ultimately so so effective. Reade gives a great coverage of it and leaves you in now doubt of just how pivotal a roll Kop Faithful played in running them two bastards out of town. Whilst they were truly shit times to be a supporter of Liverpool Football Club, they were also paradoxically a golden age for us as supporters. When it mattered we unified like no other club's fans would do. We refused to bend over and take a Hicks pummeling. I'm so proud that through sending those emails I can say I played a small part in it. There are some right nobs on the site these days but the Kop Faithful lads and all those who played there part are an absolute credit to the forums.

I'm right near the end now, just finished the chapter detailing the Kop Faithful campaign.

Tell you what, the lads off here who were the brains behind that idea, the likes of ATK, Dougie and StevieH who went above and beyond the call of duty, are an absolute credit to the club and this website. Such a simple concept, yet ultimately so so effective. Reade gives a great coverage of it and leaves you in now doubt of just how pivotal a roll Kop Faithful played in running them two bastards out of town. Whilst they were truly shit times to be a supporter of Liverpool Football Club, they were also paradoxically a golden age for us as supporters. When it mattered we unified like no other club's fans would do. We refused to bend over and take a Hicks pummeling. I'm so proud that through sending those emails I can say I played a small part in it. There are some right nobs on the site these days but the Kop Faithful lads and all those who played there part are an absolute credit to the forums.

absolutely right

It can't ever be a classic fairy tale if you don't get the strong feeling that Evil is about to triumph.

Staveley offering 500m? Fuck you, not enough.

Rhone taking 40% and working their balls off to make his remaining stake pay off? Fuck you, not enough.

"I'll make four times what I put in" etc

gordongekko.jpg

Tell it to Tom Hicks, motherfucker.

Absolutely spot on, Andy.

Every single Liverpool fan should feel indebted to the immense work that the lads at Kop Faithful did. A bunch of down-to-earth, modest lads who fought until the bitter end to save the club.

I got it last Thursday when it came out and I'd read it by the Saturday.

Incredible stuff. to be honest 90% of it I already knew but having their whole tenure in 350 pages really brought home just how much they destroyed our club.

The most telling sentence for me was somewhere towards the beginning of the book, at the end of the chapter that details both Hicks and Gillets previous business dealings. It says something along the lines of "It will have taken you around half an hour to read through this chapter and you will have worked out EXACTLY the type of businessmen these two people were.. why weren't those in charge of selling the family silver quite as thorough in their research?"

I thought that spoke volumes.

Not read it got a feeling I'll just get wound up by it, you guys not get that way reading it?

Yeah,can't be arsed buying it.

I read enough about them cunts and what they did to us while they were here.Really can't be arsed reading it all over again,

Just chuffed they're gone and got stitched up in the process.

I thought it was engrossing. Once he got the need to make too many gags out of his system, early on, he told a complicated story very, very well, and, for a fan, generally did well to keep the account fairly balanced. The speed needed to write this kind of book, especially when you're doing other things as well, is a huge strain, so he deserves enormous credit. This kind of saga needs both a contemporary account and a later, more reflective, re-telling. Brian's supplied the former, and done so with great panache.

I'm now 3/4 of the way though it, and it is indeed an engrossing read. I'm sure many readers unfamiliar with TLW will be wondering just who Simon Green is, while us regulars worship at the altar! If I have any criticisms of the book so far, they are fairly minor:

1 - Reade uses too many strange metaphors to illustrate his points, when in several instances it is not necessary.

2 - He alternates between calling the Arab firm Dubai International Capital (which is correct) and Dubai Investment Capital (which is not). Sure, at times he is merely quoting verbatim from those he spoke to, but it would have been better to put a note at the start to say he will refer to them as DIC throughout, even when quoting verbatim.

As I say, these are minor quibbles really, and to get everything into context and all the information absolutely 100% would have been very difficult under any circumstances (he does have a day job after all!) so Reade should be commended for what he's achieved here in little more than 6 months turnaround.