You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wine Thread

RedinSweden

One for all us wine poofs. You can add any ace wines you have stumbled upon and we can then enjoy them.

I'll kick it off with some recommendations

Zonnebloem Sauvignon Blanc (SA) - ace and really good value

Bellingham Shiraz - Completely ace and a real bargain

Guest TK-421
Champagne is for girls TK.

Ergo, you are a girl.

I couldn't name anything specific.

A cheeky Chablis does it for me. Hmm, plenty of nose!

i really like aussie reds, very nice.

wynnes estate is my favourite but theres also tatachilla or something that i found in aus but not seen here for a few years now

harry kewell???????????? :-)

never tried any Aussie stuff but it has a good reputation. Some stuff from my side of the pond:

Most wines from Hartenburg estate

Excelsior Merlot

Boland Kelder do some good reds

Graham Beck Waterside White and Riverside Reds are cheap and cheerfull everyday drinking.

Allesverloren Port - great fireside winter drink ( 1 or 2 glasses only)

harry kewell???????????? :-)

never tried any Aussie stuff but it has a good reputation. Some stuff from my side of the pond:

Most wines from Hartenburg estate

Excelsior Merlot

Boland Kelder do some good reds

Graham Beck Waterside White and Riverside Reds are cheap and cheerfull everyday drinking.

Allesverloren Port - great fireside winter drink ( 1 or 2 glasses only)

Graham Beck does some decent bubble too and that Allesverloren Port is lovely.

Bri, I have had Tatachilla Chardonnay and it was excellent. I have just checked and they don't sell any of their reds here.

Gewurtztraminer Trockheim - by a mile, my favourite white wine. It's about eight quid a bottle and every drop tastes like nectar. It's relatively sweet/fruity but still really dry.

I also really like the Rosemount Estate reds. They're all really fruity but still quite full-bodied. The Grenach-Shiraz is especially nice. They're all around the eight pound mark, too. However, they're often cheaper in money off deals.

Anyone?

Really hard to say with the wines there Remmie. I recognise a couple of them, but I doubt that they will all be that good. Good quantity for the price, but I would whack together your own bunch on virgin wines and look for an online voucher. Much safer bet.

Really hard to say with the wines there Remmie. I recognise a couple of them, but I doubt that they will all be that good. Good quantity for the price, but I would whack together your own bunch on virgin wines and look for an online voucher. Much safer bet.

Never really liked Italian wines, bit too acidy for me. The only decent red I like is the barbararararara (or whatever it is) which isnt on the list.

Chemin des Papes, Cotes du Rhône, €5.99 from Aldi, is one I really love. It's since got an International Wine Challenge Seal of Approval 2006

Chilean or Australian Cabernet Sauvignons are regulars too. I try different brands most times. The Chemin des Papes above, is the only wine I buy regularly on a repeat basis.

I'm purely a red wine man, I haven't yet found any taste or liking for white.

I've tried some Spanish, but didn't like them much.

Chemin des Papes' date=' Cotes du Rhône, €5.99 from Aldi, is one I really love. It's since got an International Wine Challenge Seal of Approval 2006

Chilean or Australian Cabernet Sauvignons are regulars too. I try different brands most times. The Chemin des Papes above, is the only wine I buy regularly on a repeat basis.

I'm purely a red wine man, I haven't yet found any taste or liking for white.

I've tried some Spanish, but didn't like them much.[/quote']

Don't give up on the spanish ones, there are some lovely ones. You should give white wine a fair crack, there are some ace whites out there just waiting to be drunk.

Don't give up on the spanish ones, there are some lovely ones. You should give white wine a fair crack, there are some ace whites out there just waiting to be drunk.

Rioja rules.

I used to drink Chilian in my early twenties but now I prefer rioja, cabernet shiraz (australian v.good), and am partial to a bit of good Prosecco. I'd drink most red wines so long as they were £6 and above - theres one every now and again which grates your tongue but its usually a good yardstick.

I'm off to france tomorrow morning for a week of red wine and cheese and fields. Mmmmmm.

I'm more of a single malt and lager/ale person but I do like wine with meals. Very little selection where I am, but here are my favourites:

White

Two Oceans Sauvignon

Suove Bolla (IT)

Red

Santa Rita 120 (CHILE)

St Stephens (BUL)

Bulls Blood

Fat Bastard (FRA)

I like Eastern European red wine, has the flavour of repression and spirt; I think Bulls Blood is Hungarian and you can taste the resistance to the Commies in it. Good with the best pork spare ribs you'll ever eat which I make.

As I said I'm not much of a sommelier or whatever but one thing I've noticed is that Beaujolais is shite lately.

Beaujolais is too weedy for me. I prefer fuller bodied wines. Before I drank wine, I had this mad impression that I'd prefer lighter wines, but that went away bloody quick when I actually tasted them.

The last Spanish I tried was a Tempranillo. Nothing bad about it really, it just didn't feel like the same feeling as others. A bit flat in character, like a sweet and sour that's neither sweet, nor sour. That's the best I can do with regard to descriptions, as I don't speak the language of wine, and all the recognised terms.

There's a question, do you all, or any of you, understand and speak 'the language'. 'Long finish', 'easy on the nose', 'good legs', 'humorous little number' or whatever it is they witter on about? A lot of it I think is pretentious, and many an ignoramus will nod in agreement when they really don't have a bull's about what's being said.

If you like a good, rich, full bodied wine then THE absolulte best in the world is Amorone. It's Italian. About £18 a bottle, which isn;t plonk but it;s worth every fucking penny. That's my tipple.

Another cracking Italian is a Chianti Reserva called Michaelangelo - about a tenner - again worth every penny. But make sure you get the 2003 reserva and not the 2005 which is cheaper.

in my opinion, the absolute best bargain wine is a south african Cabernet Shiraz by Kumala. Fuckkng beautiful and only about £5.49/£6. Aweseom. Easily sup two bottles in a night!

As for decent white wines? Don't be fucking gay you fucking big gays! White wine is gay.