You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oz

Sut

It is fucking ace - the original HBO "Bloody hell, they just said 'cunt' on telly!" drama. It is exceptionally bleak at times and has some utterly grotesque characters. It's not for the squeamish viewer at all, as barely an episode goes by without a brutal and sadistic rape or murder, often of a character you really like. Overall it is superb with some great characters.

• 5 years later...

Been watching this again, it really is amazing telly. The T-800 of HBO dramas.

The characters are immense, but Kareem Said and Chris Keller stand out for me in terms of their sheer complexity, very very few characters come close in televeision history for me in terms of sheer depth and sophistication.

Kareem_Said.jpg

Chris-Keller-oz-hbo-12414851-512-384.jpg

It might not be the most realistic, or the best written and the acting ranges from brilliant by some, to average by others, but what an excellent show.

It has everything you could want and then some. Even when the quality dropped, it was still a great watch. One of my all time favourite shows.

This clip never fails to have me in absolute stitches.

[YOUTUBE]ZX_6_R1NsoQ[/YOUTUBE]

With regards the writing, I think it's fucking superb. Considering it was mostly one man doing it, the number scenes, plot threads and characters was incredible. The way you can never see where a plot is going too, is amazing. You'll hear two characters plotting something, you're expecting it to go a certain way, then one of them just falls down the stairs and dies - plot thread ended. Considering it predates the Sopranos - a show which single-handedly changed American television and the perception of what television could do in terms of drama, it deserves a special place in TV history.

I watched 5 seasons in something like 3 weeks. It was class, but the level of brutality makes Saw look like a bukkake party and I just couldn't watch any more. Keep meaning to go back to it, which I might do when I finish Firefly.

My favourite scene is with Said and the Governor at the end of S2. I also miss Augustus's informative fact of the day monologues; quite a few things about the prison-industrial complex which I simply hadn't considered.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just watched the first episode of this last night. Too pissed to watch one tonight, but I'll be watching this now for sure. I already love JK Simmons' character, although he seems kinda hideous. And unlike most TV, the first ep looked like it was genuine, bonafide quality. Maybe not the quality of The Wire, I don't know, but quality nonetheless.

Looking forward to it, especially since I've been thinking there's fuck all TV about that I'd watch and haven't seen. But this is from the late 90s which is a bit odd, dunno why I haven't watched it before now...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just started season three as I've been watching Oz all the way through again.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The scene where Peter Schibetta and Chucky try and double team Adebisi in the kitchen in revenge for killing Nino. Adebisi beats the shit out of them easily, bends Peter over the dinner table, puts his walkman on and bum-rapes him. The dirty fucking legend.