You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

About 200 families a day were getting "Condolences on your overwhelming lack of bereavement" cards.

You're a genuinely horrible cunt on here. I hope this is just an online persona and you can manage to be a normal functioning human in real life.

It's pretty out of order this comment to be honest.

I deliberately avoid the covid thread, because while I don't know anyone who died from covid, or got remotely sick from it, I'm acutely aware that some people did.

However, if other people won't leave it alone, then I should be able to defend myself.

Pointing out that the impact on global population growth was negligible in no way diminishes the angst of the people who lost a grandparent or a great-grandparent or whoever.

You seem perfectly happy for other forumites to use people's deaths to score cheap points off me, but if I defend myself, that's me being tastless?

Double standards, where have we seen that before.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Amazing that Simon Calder is the only travel expert in Britain.

Aye, how exactly has he managed to swing this?

Saw him marching through Heathrow once looking very determined. Probably was going to report on security on the way to another arduous exotic location.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Strontium said:

It's pretty out of order this comment to be honest.

I deliberately avoid the covid thread, because while I don't know anyone who died from covid, or got remotely sick from it, I'm acutely aware that some people did.

However, if other people won't leave it alone, then I should be able to defend myself.

Pointing out that the impact on global population growth was negligible in no way diminishes the angst of the people who lost a grandparent or a great-grandparent or whoever.

You seem perfectly happy for other forumites to use people's deaths to score cheap points off me, but if I defend myself, that's me being tastless?

Double standards, where have we seen that before.

Get fucked.

You're trivialising and dismissing 7 million deaths (and 200 deaths a day in the UK). Whatever beef you've got with strangers on the internet doesn't justify that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Don’t say that it’s climate change WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE! Which of course we all will anyway one day…

13 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The start of the fire isn't the problem; the spread of the fire is. 

25 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The start of the fire isn't the problem; the spread of the fire is. 

I like you young Mal and I'm no climate change denier but I'm not having that. Have you ever been to Rhodes?  I've been to plenty of hot places but Rhodes is the hottest I've ever been. Green vegetation is virtually non existent. I don't see that a rise of a couple of degrees in temperature makes dry grass more flammable than it already was. 

Also that article is blaming poor forest management than anything else, amidst the hyperbole about the impact and physical attributes of wildfires. The same impacts and attributes as they have any other year.

The hysterical news reporting of "special repatriation planes urgently evacuating holidaymakers" is akin to any other hysterical news reporting. As is the reporting of the fires, which are fucking miles away from hotels. As are the usual miserable looking faces on Skype from brits in their hotel rooms "We haven't even had a phone call from Jet2. It's disgusting", the same people who'll be after a bit of compo from their holiday firms because "it affected their mental health". 

And the absolute, 100% lack of reporting about how the fires started in the first place underlines this type of reporting. "LOOK HOW HOT IT IS! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! THE WORLD IS ON FIRE" and forgetting to mention that the fires were started deliberately. 

In short, arson and bad forest management are at blame here. Not the climate. And I'm surprised a bright bloke like you is falling for this media led bullsheeeeet. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I like you young Mal and I'm no climate change denier but I'm not having that. Have you ever been to Rhodes?  I've been to plenty of hot places but Rhodes is the hottest I've ever been. Green vegetation is virtually non existent. I don't see that a rise of a couple of degrees in temperature makes dry grass more flammable than it already was. 

Also that article is blaming poor forest management than anything else, amidst the hyperbole about the impact and physical attributes of wildfires. The same impacts and attributes as they have any other year.

The hysterical news reporting of "special repatriation planes urgently evacuating holidaymakers" is akin to any other hysterical news reporting. As is the reporting of the fires, which are fucking miles away from hotels. As are the usual miserable looking faces on Skype from brits in their hotel rooms "We haven't even had a phone call from Jet2. It's disgusting", the same people who'll be after a bit of compo from their holiday firms because "it affected their mental health". 

And the absolute, 100% lack of reporting about how the fires started in the first place underlines this type of reporting. "LOOK HOW HOT IT IS! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! THE WORLD IS ON FIRE" and forgetting to mention that the fires were started deliberately. 

In short, arson and bad forest management are at blame here. Not the climate. And I'm surprised a bright bloke like you is falling for this media led bullsheeeeet. 

It’s deliberate agenda pushing, it’s blatant.

Now they are saying desert regions are too extreme in the US. It’s the bloody summer. It’s been a typical summer in the uk, some hot days and loads of rain.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

It’s deliberate agenda pushing, it’s blatant.

Now they are saying desert regions are too extreme in the US. It’s the bloody summer. It’s been a typical summer in the uk, some hot days and loads of rain.

It's become agenda pushing. I get it. I get climate change. I get that it's a problem but this is a media education on the subject to the hard of thinking. 

1. Avoid mention of the cause of the fires 

2. Never mention that Rhodes gets almost that hot every year

3. Make sure to keep telling people "IT'S SO HOT! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?!"

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

It's become agenda pushing. I get it. I get climate change. I get that it's a problem but this is a media education on the subject to the hard of thinking. 

4. Interview the thickest fucking people on the planet:

- "Well my son said he's never going abroad again".

(Presumably as the WORLD IS ON FIRE)

- "When we got to the airport the Tui staff were all smiling and helpful and we thought, "what good are you doing here?" (Yep, every air steward should be up in the mountains putting fires out)

"I'd never plan a wedding abroad again"

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I was under the impression we went abroad for the sun.

I watched the bbc news report on Rhodes last night. Yep there was no mention of arson only destruction and climate change.

Then at the end just add more fear the reporter says we have to move now because they say the fire is spreading this way. And then gets in the car.

wasn’t it last year there was a bush fire near London and the media had a melt down? Anything could have caused it.

10 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Oh OK then mad hatter, the planet's fine, thanks for the info.

The planet isn't fine is it, you monumental dick. I'm not denying climate change. What I'm saying is the hysterical, inaccurate and misleading way the Rhodes fires are being reported is fucked up. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Oh OK then mad hatter, the planet's fine, thanks for the info.

Climate changes all the time and there’s no doubt man effects it in various ways.

But in my lifetime I’ve had the threat of the ozone layer, acid rain and the next ice age to name but a few. The ice age theory stuff was only about 40 years ago. 

12 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Beef on the clubs lack of signings "we're doomed".

Also Beef on most of Southern Europe being hotter than it's ever been "fuck all wrong".

Seem's like a guy who doesn't understand perspective.

You lot are the ones constantly proclaiming the doomed angle from me. I just hate our skinflint ‘custodians’.

Im guilty of thinking for myself and don’t need the media, whether it’s sport, politics or fear mongering to drive my thought process.

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You lot are the ones constantly proclaiming the doomed angle from me. I just hate our skinflint ‘custodians’.

Im guilty of thinking for myself and don’t need the media, whether it’s sport, politics or fear mongering to drive my thought process.

Yeah, I mean thinking for yourself is really going well when you wrongly proclaim the climate changes all the time.