You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you want it?

Paul

In principle, are you for this takeover?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. In principle, are you for this takeover?

Anyone not voted? Three quarters in favour. I'm well and truly out of step with my fellow Reds.

And Rafa (it seems).

Given your feelings on the manager Paul does his apparant support of this proposed deal disappoint you?

Does it make you feel any differently about him?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Rafa (it seems).

Given your feelings on the manager Paul does his apparant support of this proposed deal disappoint you?

I don't because he's doing his job. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

And Rafa (it seems).

I dont understand what you're getting at. I have supported LFC for over 25 years and have an opinion because I am worried that not all good comes from throwing cash at things. Theres more to a club than just trophies.

Why would i feel any different to what Rafa (god bless his soul) says. He's been a fan for 2.5 years. Its just opinions and he's hardly going to a) say no to money and b) say no to his new bosses whether he thinks its good or not.

A strange thing to say indeed. We (the worriers) want all thats best for lfc - and if it all turns out rosey then fine - we'll stop worrying.

Do you think behind the scenes that he's unhappy about it?

Not really, because it would probably make his job a little bit easier (although expectations would be raised)

But even if he was, he'd never say so. Or I wouldn't expect him to.

Not really, because it would probably make his job a little bit easier (although expectations would be raised)

But even if he was, he'd never say so. Or I wouldn't expect him to.

Would you be more or less happy at ownership staying as it is and instead of investment taking on 100+ Million in debt to fund the stadium?

I'm genuinely struggling to nail down people's concerns when I look at the alternative route's the club could go down.

And Rafa (it seems).

As Pete said, he's doing his job. Also though, miuch as he's obviously been bitten by the Red bug, he doesn't feel the way I do about the club. How could he?

Would you be more or less happy at ownership staying as it is and instead of investment taking on 100+ Million in debt to fund the stadium?

I'm genuinely struggling to nail down people's concerns when I look at the alternative route's the club could go down.

You're also struggling to come across as anything other than condescending as well to be fair.

I can TOTALLY understand people's concerns even if I don't endorse them totally.

I don't because he's doing his job. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

I think with comments like thees it's more than just towing the party line:

"The big picture now is clear. This investment can help us for the future," said Benitez.

"We can have a big stadium, more fans seeing us and also a lot of money.

That will help us for sure. We will be able to compete at the top end of the transfer market and that is a good prospect for me."

I have just had a quick scan through this thread and I see a lot of mixed emotions, small disagreements. I can see the arguement of bith sides.

I myself are in the 'Yes' collection. I was delighted at first, someone as large and well known and respected in most areas, as the Shiek. I have an Uncle who has worked in the racing industry for years and whenever he has spoken of the Sheik, he has only ever mentioned good things about him. Obviously he doesn't know him enough to go down the local boozer and have a pint with him, but he does know the people in that sport.

Then my feelings on what could be started to change. I started to think wow there is a possibility of a huge amount of cash availaible for Rafa to get us to where we want to be. That left me slightly bemused. Since the invasion of Roman Abramovich, I have hated Chelsea a lot more than I did. What scares me is not the fact that we will be run by the Sheik, but the fact we are going to have a vast invasion of the gloryhunters to Anfield, just because the Sky generation will now realise that we are actually the BIGGEST Team ever to grace english football. To think that we will undoutbly have gob shites waving £50 notes in some unfortunate away supporters face makes me cringe.

I am all for the investment as it is what we desperately need to continue the Rafalution. I trust Moores and Parry enough to sell to somebody who will continue to instill the Liverpool FC values. Moores loves the club too much to hand it over to someone who will destroy whole list traditional values. We need the money, our finances are our thorn in our side. We rid the debts, pay for the new ground. Then what is left is a significant amouint for Rafa to actually bring home as many fucking league titles as he wants. We will rule once again. Albeit against how the true die hard fan would like it done, but we have to finally catch up with the times. We got left behind United when the Premiership started. Let's not let it happen agai. Does anybody not seriously think that United, Arsenal and most of all Chelsea are shitting themselves at the prospect of this takeover actually coming off. United will be the calmest of the lot. As they have the fanbase to equal what we do off the field. Howver the other two will be seriously thinking "Shit what do we do now?"

It as I said earlier sad that a whole new type of supporter will come and follow us like they do Chealsea and they did Balckburn in the 90's. Money spawns cunts and that is what we are going to be invaded by.

As Pete said, he's doing his job. Also though, miuch as he's obviously been bitten by the Red bug, he doesn't feel the way I do about the club. How could he?

Maybe he doesn't feel as passionately about it as we do but I bet you he feels a lot more responsibility than we do. He gives his life to it, he probably has to forgo seeing his family much in comparison to you and I due to many nights away from home and long working hours. He probably doesn't get the greatest amount of sleep, has only two weeks holiday a year but he gets a big fat cheque and an amazing sense of pride. Shankly wasn't a Red when he turned up here but he was the club by the time he retired. I reckon Rafa will probably do the same.

I dont understand what you're getting at. I have supported LFC for over 25 years and have an opinion because I am worried that not all good comes from throwing cash at things. Theres more to a club than just trophies.

Why would i feel any different to what Rafa (god bless his soul) says. He's been a fan for 2.5 years. Its just opinions and he's hardly going to a) say no to money and b) say no to his new bosses whether he thinks its good or not.

A strange thing to say indeed. We (the worriers) want all thats best for lfc - and if it all turns out rosey then fine - we'll stop worrying.

You have misunderstood my post.

I was not suggesting how anyone should feel about the proposal.

I know how Paul feels about Rafa and I was genuinely interested to know how he felt aout the manager's (apparant) backing of the bid.

Why does it have to be logical, Cardie? Why do I have to list reasons? I just don't want our club to give in completely to the creed of Mammon. The game has changed beyond belief since my formative years on The Kop in the mid to late 80s; I've just reached a point where I want it all to stop.

Your relentless questioning seems to be motivated by a desire to defend your own view. It's OK if you disagree; I'm not judging you. I just don't want to play this game. Who knows? Maybe it'll happen and I'll see that it's not what I feared, but right now, this is how I feel. Sorry if you don't like it.

First of all, can I just say I've become less and less enthusiastic about the new stadium lately (before this news).

I'm not overly excited by the prospect of Liverpool being moved further away from what it used to be. Football has been going that way for years I know, but that doesn't mean people have to like it.

Results wise, I'm in no doubt that the investment will have a significant positive effect in the long term. I guess I'm just not convinced that it will be worth it when all is said and done.

It's me being a football romantic.

I don't know. Will we become Chelsea or Man Utd or will we be allowed to harvest our traditions? It's about distinguishing between sentimental bullshit for the sake of modernising and distinguishing between not modernising for the sake of our values, there is a difference. I'm not getting caught out by all that sentimental shite about nights of past glories but I am bothered about the potential for us to become soulless and further exploited.

However, selling out to a foreign investor doesn't mean that we have to become soulless; anybody who has been to Anfield recently will know that it is already happening without a foreign investor. I don't want our principles stolen from us for the sake of a rich man's investment but the notion that we're currently a club of soul, community and spirit is absolute bollocks, in my opinion. The atmosphere at Anfield is dead, the ticketing is a joke, the club was sold down the river years ago, long before foreign investors, it happened because of Sky and all-seater stadia.

That's not to say we're not different to other clubs and that we don't have different traditions compared to other clubs because we do but they were diluted a long time ago. In short, it depends on the aims and objectives of the investment company and as I don't know that, I don't know.

Quality.

Maybe he doesn't feel as passionately about it as we do but I bet you he feels a lot more responsibility than we do. He gives his life to it, he probably has to forgo seeing his family much in comparison to you and I due to many nights away from home and long working hours. He probably doesn't get the greatest amount of sleep, has only two weeks holiday a year but he gets big fat cheque and an amazing sense of pride. Shankly wasn't a Red when he turned up here but he was the club by the time he retired. I reckon Rafa will probably do the same.

I'm not questioning him, Dave; just saying he can't possibly feel the same way as a lifelong Red.

I understand what you're saying.

It's also interesting to note that Dalglish is backing this deal, or is at least backing Moores and Parry to choose the best future path for the club.

I understand what you're saying.

It's also interesting to note that Dalglish is backing this deal, or is at least backing Moores and Parry to choose the best future path for the club.

Moo, I'm not in opposition with anyone (bar the salivating Rash) over this. Shankly himself could climb out of his grave and annoint the Dubai lot as his chosen heirs; it still wouldn't change my opinion.

I'm not questioning him, Dave; just saying he can't possibly feel the same way as a lifelong Red.

I agree. I am partly excited and partly sceptical. I fear that it could become difficult to identify with the club due us becoming a corporate toy but on the other hand the club isn't what it should be, we're not performing to our potential and the only way to achieve it is to find investment. It's a catch 22 situation.

We now appear to have found investment and whilst I am quietly excited, I am also a bit sceptical but I'll be waiting see what the club say and what the DICs have to say for themselves before I jump to conclusions.

Haven't asked you to list reasons I've asked if debt is preferable to this investment as currently they appear the only two options.

I'm not interested on untold wealth and the ability to buy whatever player we want I'm interested in a safe future for the club. I don't see how 100's of millions of pounds of debt is any less risky than foreign ownership of the club, especially an owner as high profile as this, we're not talking about Michael Knighton here.

The shock that football is driven by money has long since passed.

Moo, I'm not in opposition with anyone (bar the salivating Rash) over this. Shankly himself could climb out of his grave and annoint the Dubai lot as his chosen heirs; it still wouldn't change my opinion.

Nah I'm not trying to change your opinion.

I suppose I am just trying to emphasise that the people inside the club, true reds and legends are prepared to give this deal a chance so there must be some good in it.

If it does go ahead I hope one day we're all glad that we decided to go for it.

Haven't asked you to list reasons I've asked if debt is preferable to this investment as currently they appear the only two options.

I'm not interested on untold wealth and the ability to buy whatever player we want I'm interested in a safe future for the club. I don't see how 100's of millions of pounds of debt is any less risky than foreign ownership of the club, especially an owner as high profile as this, we're not talking about Michael Knighton here.

The shock that football is driven by money has long since passed.

Cardie, I really don't care (in the best sense of that phrase) what anyone else thinks about this. Pete expressed it best when he said that this is about each individual's relationship with the club. I would still feel the same way even if every other Red in the world disagreed. Equally, I can respect every other opposing view to mine I've seen posted on here (with the exception of the crude Pavlovian response from Rash).

Nah I'm not trying to change your opinion.

I suppose I am just trying to emphasise that the people inside the club, true reds and legends are prepared to give this deal a chance so there must be some good in it.

If it does go ahead I hope one day we're all glad that we decided to go for it.

Me too.