You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Clerks II

Chris

Clerks II

As well as being the movie I'd looked forward to most, since Episode III, I also approached the sequel to Clerks with a certain degree of trepidation.

I have only recently embraced the New Jersey native and his unique brand of homages to his home state. I'd avoided his films for years. I felt he was too cool for school, that Clerks was a film people would say they like if they were pretending to be into independent cinema.

However a couple of months ago, I decided to stop being such a stubborn twat, have got through each of his movies and I've soon fallen in love with them (Chasing Amy aside). But I was worried that this latest big screen adventure for Jay and Silent Bob would bring an end to that fledgling love affair

After all, it's been 11 years since the original and in that time Kevin Smith has grown (up), so have his budgets and so have his storytelling abilities. Was he capable of making a sequel to such a movie, since his life has changed incredibly since making Clerks for less than $40,000. Hell, the sign outside Mooby's fast food store in the opening minutes of Clerks II would have cost that much.

But consider those fears to be completely unfounded. Clerks II is the funniest film I've seen in years. Funnier, and pretty much better than anything he has ever done before. Not only that, the film has the most worthy centre of any of his films. It really has a heart.

Rather than giggle at Dante's relationship problems, laughing at his girlfriend sucking 37 dicks (In a row?), as he weights up which girl is the right one for him, you're actually feeling it this time when a similar quandry presents itself.

Rather than laughing at the disfuntional frienship between Dante and Randall, you're getting beneath the surface, learning how they make each other tick and as a MOVIE its brings Clerks on tenfold.

It's like Clerks II combines the belly laugh moments of the first movie, with the soft underbelly of many of his later movies; an ability that has developed throughout his career, something that was hugely overdone in Chasing Amy.

Clerks II provides the perfect balance. The Lord of The Rings vs Star Wars scene is hilarious, as is pretty much everything that comes out of Randal's mouth. The new character Elisa is great cannon fodder for him, and a worthy addition to the duo - who still have the chemistry which made the first film such a huge huge underground success. Jay and Silent Bob fucking rule as always - Look out for the Silence of the Lambs tribute.

Kevin Smith has combined his ability to write snappy, hugely geeky dialogue and loveably outlandishly rude characters with the life experience that has given his films more poigniancy as the years have gone on. Although many would have questioned his decision to make the picture, it must bring a great sense of closure for Smith himself, a loving embrace to adulthood and a message to those out there who have watched the prime years of our youth fly by, that it's never too late to do something about it.

A brilliant, brilliant movie.

However a couple of months ago, I decided to stop being such a stubborn twat, have got through each of his movies and I've soon fallen in love with them (Chasing Amy aside).

Come on, are you kidding me? I love all his movies*, but Chasing Amy is probably the best of the lot.

* that I've seen; I have yet to see Jersey Girl

In my defence i'd just like to add that i saw Chasing Amy with an ex whilst we were enjoying the first flushes of an otherwise entirely forgettable relationship(not that i'm bitter). Also, unlike all you gayers, i am in touch with my feminine side and can appreciate romantic tosh every now and then - it's a sign of manliness

I don't think I've seen a single one of his films; in fact I probably wouldn't even know who was being discussed without that really funny clip that someone, think it might have been Chris, put up on here a few weeks ago about the Superman film.

Where would be the best place to start if I wanted to check his stuff out or does it really not matter which order you go at them?

I'd watch them in order if I was you; Clerks, then Mallrats (you could give that one a miss if you like, it's definitely his weakest), Chasing Amy, Dogma. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back should be the last one you see, simply because it's better if you can appreciate the in-jokes.

I don't think I've seen a single one of his films; in fact I probably wouldn't even know who was being discussed without that really funny clip that someone, think it might have been Chris, put up on here a few weeks ago about the Superman film.

Where would be the best place to start if I wanted to check his stuff out or does it really not matter which order you go at them?

The Superman clip is from the Evening with Kevin Smith dvd, well worth picking up as it's got a couple of really funny stories about meeting Prince and the first date he went on with his wife.

I can see both sides of Chasing Amy, but when I watched it, I absolutely hated it.

Jason Leigh fucking rules in every scene he is in. Banky is an awesome character.

But between Joey Lauren Adams' horrific voice which grates on me hugely, Affleck's sickening soppiness, the lack of plausibility in that horrible 'turning her straight' scene in the car, in the rain and the raging oversentimentality (is that a word, Paul?) I found it over-rode all of the good points, and great humour within the story. Perhaps I hated this rampant love fest cos I'd just been through a break up and there were a few home truths in there that hit a little hard. I'd like to give it another go, because it's probably the film most of the critics agree is his best, but I hated it on first look.

The saving grace was Silent Bob's profound speech at the end.

Most definitely.

Seeing Clerks II tomorrow - first film I've been excited about in a while.

Stu: Watch them in order, and watch all of them.