You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Every workplace used to have a nick namer. Some bloke who used to love londons burning on a sunday night, always coming up with clever names for everyone. 90% of the names they come out with are laughed at once (or not) and then forgotten- all the 2nd hand names like 'sicknote' and 'goldenbollocks' never really catch on. But every now and then one will stick, and stick so well it's like they've never had any other name. Like the lad on our estate called 'arse'. No idea why he was called arse, he was just always called arse- far back as anyone remembers. Maybe that's what his mum named him. When we called for him we'd always ask "is arse in?", and she never corrected us. We called our workplace nick namer Charlie, because that was his name. I think it used to piss him off that no-one could be bothered thinking of something wittier, which is probably why we didn't. My nick name was wanker. That stuck, bastard.

We had a few at school. One poor sod got an erection in the showers after games once so he was then forever known as Don. In sixth form, a newly-binned girl spread the story that the lad who had binned her was somewhat less than well-endowed so after that his nickname was Justin. We had a lad we called Womble, as the story was he had the same testicular predicament as Adolf. While working at a hospital way back when, the charge nurse on my ward was known as Fub. Fat Ugly Bastard. When I worked at Littlewoods pools, there was a girl we called Mission as she was a dead ringer for Wayne Hussey, the poor cow.

A storeman were I worked a while ago was called Old Fuck Off, because if you went down and said "have yoiu got such and such" he would say "fuck orrrrrffffffffff"

We had a fellah who used to collect the internal mail and take it the post room, he was called "Phone em up" because if he came in and mail was down the back of the office ( it wasnt that big) and you asked him to take it he'd say "phone em up" and leave.

• 3 years later...

Years ago I used to work in this place in Holland filled with all sorts of loons. One lad I only ever saw about twice as he was usually hiding in the bog smoking scag. You would always hear the sound of the tin foil if you went in there. No idea what his name was but we called him Russell.

Years ago I used to work in this place in Holland filled with all sorts of loons. One lad I only ever saw about twice as he was usually hiding in the bog smoking scag. You would always hear the sound of the tin foil if you went in there. No idea what his name was but we called him Russell.

The Dutch called him Rushell.

• Upvote 1

Used to work with a trans character who was utterly poisonous and aggressive without provocation - such things as pulling up an older chap for having a facial twitch during a huge meeting in front of unhappy clients. 

She pulled me on shortening her name when I called her Steph instead of Stephanie, saying people were only to use her full title.  From that point on she was Buffalo William.

• Upvote 1