You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa wants Trezeguet

Rashid

Toni would fit our style of play far better than Trezeguet imo.

Ashton's a good shout but why would West 'Am sell their best player for just £2.5m profit 6 months after buying him when he's been a huge hit?

Rafa has some decisions to make when you throw Kuyt into the equation. The apparant interest in Milito suggests he wants a big strong hold up player to play up front. Toni, Kuyt, Milito and Ashton can all do that but Trezeguet can't. Only difference is we might be able to get him for free and use the rest for Alves or Pennant while the others would command fee's of at least £7m.

We shall see.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the first bit said' date=' why contradict yourself with going any further?[/quote']

Because he has a big reputation but it hasn't been earnt in the Premiership and because he might not necessarily be the right player for us. Scoring goals is one thing, but we all know there is more to it than that.

We aren't a club who buy trophy players are we?

It probably doesn't make sense what I said, but it's hot and I can't be arsed explaining it properly.

Just sign him, I'm not arsed either way!

Does he have to be though? Our team has much more pace and players that can run with the ball this season (if we get the right winger we are after) and I reckon that makes the targetman type player less of a necessity as I doubt we will be forced to play the ball as long next season.

Trezeguet is a goalscorer and in the right team will always be a success. I reckon we've got the players now that means we can accomodate a player like that as we will be able to advance play easier and hitting it long to the big man upfront should become a less used option.

I don't know if what I'm saying is coming across clearly, but we should be playing with more width and using the wings next season so those options should make a targetman redundant apart from some games away from home.

Last season we didn't have a player that could run with the ball from defence frequently so our 3 options for attacking where really

1. we would try to pass it

2. We would hit it long and win the second ball

3. Run it out of defence (but this was unsuccessful as we had no one that could do it)

4. We hardly ever played a ball over the top even when we had the option to because we didn't have the players

Next season though with Gonzalez, Bellamy and hopefully Alves we will have different options available

1. We will still play a possession game and try and work the openings that way

2. We will now be able to give it to the wide men to run with the ball out of defence and advance play like that

3 We have the option with bellamy's pace to play the over the top ball

4 When teams flood midfields against us we can then use the longer ball option and when we're away from home.

Now looking at that and seeing how the priorities for our play could change it makes me wonder whether we need to get a second targetman type player in when it will really only be an option used less than last year.

With the way we can conceivably play next season i don't think 2 targetmen will be required, but we do need someone who can get in the box and get on the end of all the crosses that the new wingers will be putting in. Thats what i reckon anyway

CWD I dont really dispute your points, but the point of having another strikeing style is that it gives you more possibilites. One of Rafas teams key strengths is their ability to play in many different formations with many different tactics. This always keep us fresh and the opponent on the backfoot, therefore, we need to have players who can do those different things. So I take your point, maybe Rafa will change our primary style, but I just dont see it. In which case if Crouch, who is integral to Rafas ideas, were injured we'd be stuffed. As I said at the top, I dont know what he offers, but while I can see what you're saying, I dont think we'll change our system too much. therefore I see Rafa replacing Moro with a similar player (Mido ? Ashton ?) so the upshot is we have a better backup than we did in Morientes and a better speedy Striker than we had in Cisse.

Upgrades all around ! :party:

Also the other side of that point - if the players that are loaned out know they're off back to Italy at the end of the season, rather than playing to try to prove they're worth a permanent move, will they be up for it at Reading on the proverbial wet Tuesday night? Or will they be thinking "fuck it, it's only Liverpool/Chelsea/Tottenham"?

Why not? They're used to an empty and dreary Delle Alpi. Bit negative are we?

Heh. Good point about the Delle Alpi. As for negative, no I'm not. Not at all, in fact I see the current situation in Italy as a great opportunity. I'm saying we should sieze the moment and try to sign anyone we're interested in on a permanent move, or at least a loan with an option to buy at the end of it. These clubs can't go asking daft fees for a change - this could be an opportunity to land a couple of players that would have been out of our financial reach this time last week. I know there'll be competiton to sign the quality but surely this is the reason that Rafa's been being a bit cagey about splashing the cash so far this summer.

i think this is a win-win situation financially. I would much rather have somebody like trez flop than, say, kuyt who is unproven in the prem, simply because this trez commands no fee other than wages where as kuyt will cost upwards of 10m. In other words, Trezeguet flopping would be much cheaper than Kuyt flopping.

i think this is a win-win situation financially. I would much rather have somebody like trez flop than, say, kuyt who is unproven in the prem, simply because this trez commands no fee other than wages where as kuyt will cost upwards of 10m. In other words, Trezeguet flopping would be much cheaper than Kuyt flopping.

Erm. OK

What about Trezeguet flopping vs. Kuyt prospering?

Let me guess, you're not a betting man...

not really, just lost a bit of money last night actually. I would rather see a flop that didnt cost us a dime. Not denying the potential of either, just taking the worst-case scenario view of things. Call me a pessimist, but I'm with Rash here; I'd prefer Ashton to the both of them

Rafa has some decisions to make when you throw Kuyt into the equation. The apparant interest in Milito suggests he wants a big strong hold up player to play up front. Toni, Kuyt, Milito and Ashton can all do that but Trezeguet can't.

I thought Rafa was interested in Gabriel Milito (defender), not his brother Diego (striker)?

Or have I been wandering around in a wonderful waking coma again?

I thought Rafa was interested in Gabriel Milito (defender), not his brother Diego (striker)?

Or have I been wandering around in a wonderful waking coma again?

He was after Gabriel a while back but his brother was under consideration for signing as a striker I think.