You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

greatest movie moment ever...

Chris

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I read this, so apologies if this has already been mentioned but the part in Godfather III at the end when Michael is grieving for his daughter. The pain etched firmly on Pacino's face is so real it's really quite moving and it was a master stroke how they took the sound away so you entirely focus on his body language and contorted face

• 6 months later...

Looking for something completely different and found this thread; it's definitely in need of bumping.

The scene that I mention on the fist page is this one; always gives me a lump in the throat. Even more impressive considering the dude who plays pippin wrote the melody the day before.

I did not know that. And I've always thought Billy Boyd was a talentless annoying, pain in the arse.

I was just looking for the clip after reading the thread and there's a behind the scenes clip. Basically they heard him doing a bit of karaoke on a night out and it stemmed from there. That's some seriously ace melody to come up with in one day and it fits so well with the film too.

the end of French Connection 2. Popeye has gone cold turkey to get off the smack after he was forcibly made into an addict and is running exhausted along the docks at Marseille.

Frog 1 on his boat sailing slowly out of the harbour unaware of Popeye chasing after him.

Popeye gets to the end of the pier, Frog 1 looks up as the boat sails past the end of the pier and sees him, he realises who it is and his face drops just a fraction of a second before Popeye shoots him.

A fantastic ending, no shitty music to build tension, just the sound of Popeye breathless and gasping as he is running to try and catch them. Its an amazing final scene.

Agree. FC2 fucking rules. Hackman is just ideal in that role. The whole "smack addict" scenes are just harrowing and grimy .

Also the "tears in rain" scene in Blade Runner, the split screen intro to "Grand Prix", the tension waiting for the train to arrive at the beginning of "once upon a time in the west" and the heart stopping moment in Trading Places Where Jamie Lee Curtis takes her top off. Best. Tits. Ever.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - two sequences from the end. The first is when Tuco realises he's found the cemetery and runs around looking for Arch Stanton's grave, and the second of course is the shootout. The combination of the music and camerawork in both sequences is genius, every time I watch the film they thrill me just as much as the first time I saw it.

Agreed. Here's the scene in all its wonderful glory.

Noone mentioned Apocalypse Now, my favourite movie of all time. Best moment for, when they start up the river, to find Marlon Brando.

Apocalypse now was just voted no. 1 on CH4, and very befitting it is about to start now. Thats the rest of my Saturday gone.

I like the end scene in Collateral where Tom Cruise is shot but rather than be in pain he treats it like an inconvenience, sits down and tells Jamie Foxx the story he told him earlier on in the film about a dead man riding around on the Metro for a whole day without anyone realising, he then says "Do you think anyone will notice?" and keels over. He has a pointless life and wonders if anyone will notice that he has just died.

I like the end scene in Collateral where Tom Cruise is shot but rather than be in pain he treats it like an inconvenience, sits down and tells Jamie Foxx the story he told him earlier on in the film about a dead man riding around on the Metro for a whole day without anyone realising, he then says "Do you think anyone will notice?" and keels over. He has a pointless life and wonders if anyone will notice that he has just died.

Not that thats a spoiler or anything . . . .

The bit in Black Hawk Down where they finally make it back alive to the Pakistani stadium, they all look shattered and traumatised, you can almost feel the same watching it after the constant gun battles throughout the film and loss of life.

The whole car chase in Bullitt.

The fight between Riggs & Joshua on Danny Glovers lawn in Lethal Weapon.

The bit where all the homeboys turn against Denzel Washington in Training Day and let Ethan Hawke leave.

The bit where Mickey dies in Rocky 3 - only time i've ever cried watching a film (I was eight years old).

The bit in Raiders of the lost ark where he fights the big bald Nazi

You can extend that to include the Well of Souls before and the truck chase afterwards. Pure cinematic gold.

Extend that further to (if it has not been mentioned already):

- When Indy is faced by one of the arab swordsman and he proceeds to try and give him the shits by showcasing his sword waving talents...Indy pulls out his revolver and just shoots him.

- In Pirates of the Caribbean 3, everyone pulls there guns on each other in a standoff...Jack the monkey decides to pull a little shooter on the parrot.....comedic genius.

When Indy is faced by one of the arab swordsman and he proceeds to try and give him the shits by showcasing his sword waving talents...Indy pulls out his revolver and just shoots him.

Great scene with a great story behind it. The script had that down as a lengthy and elaborate fight sequence, but Harrison Ford had bad diarrhoea and wasn't up for filming it, so he and Spielberg decided to have Indy just shoot him instead.

• 7 months later...
The bit in Black Hawk Down where they finally make it back alive to the Pakistani stadium, they all look shattered and traumatised, you can almost feel the same watching it after the constant gun battles throughout the film and loss of life.

It wasn't the gun battle that had them shattered it was the 500 mile walk then 2000 mile swim from Mogadishu to Karachi :whistle: