You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Question on the Arse and next years CL

Dbnred

No, they don't have to qualify. They go straight into the group stage as top seeds.

No 4 in the league loses out.

so how come this is fair now. When we were in the same position last year, it was unfair against the Blueslime and all and sundry were up in arms..

F.A made a new rule in the summer that if a team wins the champions league but finishes 5th, the 4th placed team misses out.

No, they didn't.

Uefa changed the CL-regulations, thus removing any decisionmaking by the national federations.

Last year it was for the FA to choose between the holders and the fourth placed team in the PL who to nominate. This time around, there is no choice to be made.

No, they didn't.

Uefa changed the CL-regulations, thus removing any decisionmaking by the national federations.

Last year it was for the FA to choose between the holders and the fourth placed team in the PL who to nominate. This time around, there is no choice to be made.

Thats what i meant :whistle:

I stand corrected. I looked it up, which I obviously should have done when the media reported it. The regulations merely state that if a nation with four slots in the CL want to have the winners in (when they have failed to finish top four in the league), the fourth team has to be entered for the Uefa-cup.

I stand corrected. I looked it up, which I obviously should have done when the media reported it. The regulations merely state that if a nation with four slots in the CL want to have the winners in (when they have failed to finish top four in the league), the fourth team has to be entered for the Uefa-cup.

I meant that aswell :whistle:

FA Euroopean Qualification Regulations.

Rule 18c amended.

"If a team finishing below fourth in the league wins the Champions League, the team that finishes fourth in the league will meet the Champions League winners in a play-off to decide who plays in the following season's competition. The match will be played at the nearest neutral venue to the Champions League winners. In this case Wembley, which hasn't even been built yet."

Are you taking the piss, RR?

If not, do you have a link?

FA Euroopean Qualification Regulations.

Rule 18c amended.

"If a team finishing below fourth in the league wins the Champions League, the team that finishes fourth in the league will meet the Champions League winners in a play-off to decide who plays in the following season's competition. The match will be played at the nearest neutral venue to the Champions League winners. In this case Wembley, which hasn't even been built yet."

I meant that too :whistle:

No, they didn't.

You're dead right.

Uefa removed decision making from the national associations after the FA played brinkmanship with Uefa last year and failed to follow the precedent set by Spain a few years ago. The FA, the season before, actually had it stated on their website that the 4th placed team would go into the Uefa Cup but for reasons known only to them they changed their stance. The FA took a chance that by supporting the 4th place team over the European Champions that UEFA would allow a 5th team into the competition and it worked. UEFA were rightly pissed off, but it is to their credit that they at least allowed us to defend our trophy.

You're dead right.

Uefa removed decision making from the national associations after the FA played brinkmanship with Uefa last year and failed to follow the precedent set by Spain a few years ago. The FA, the season before, actually had it stated on their website that the 4th placed team would go into the Uefa Cup but for reasons known only to them they changed their stance. The FA took a chance that by supporting the 4th place team over the European Champions that UEFA would allow a 5th team into the competition and it worked. UEFA were rightly pissed off, but it is to their credit that they at least allowed us to defend our trophy.

The reason for the FA was to get five English teams in the champions league; which they did. It was a bright move from them.

You're dead right.

According to the regulations, article 1.03, I was wrong. You can download the regulations here and check for yourself.

In fact, it didn't work for the FA. England never had five teams in the CL, only four. The shite never got through the qualifiers.

The FA effectively had the choice of putting Liverpool straight into the group stage, or Everton into the qualifiers (unseeded). They chose the latter. And in the process they made the season of one of their key men in the World Cup a month longer that it should have been.

Of course, Arsenal made a nice profit from it.

The reason for the FA was to get five English teams in the champions league; which they did. It was a bright move from them.

Yeah, but it was a huge gamble which came very close to going the other way as a lot of UEFA delegates knew what the FA were trying to do and tried to block it. If UEFA had decided that we should only have four entrants and we'd have gone into the UEFA cup they would have been well within their rights. If we'd have won the Final in a scrappy 1-0 game, I think we may have had a different result. Corporate sponsorship played a part in allowing us back in as we literally won the hearts of Europe by the way we won number 5. The FA basicallly chose Everton ahead of Liverpool and got lucky in a game of poker with UEFA. I don't think it was bright at all, I just think that the FA, and in turn, us got lucky.

Yeah, but it was a huge gamble which came very close to going the other way as a lot of UEFA delegates knew what the FA were trying to do and tried to block it. If UEFA had decided that we should only have four entrants and we'd have gone into the UEFA cup they would have been well within their rights. If we'd have won the Final in a scrappy 1-0 game, I think we may have had a different result. Corporate sponsorship played a part in allowing us back in as we literally won the hearts of Europe by the way we won number 5. The FA basicallly chose Everton ahead of Liverpool and got lucky in a game of poker with UEFA. I don't think it was bright at all, I just think that the FA, and in turn, us got lucky.

Don't see it that way. UEFA were never going to play the tournament without the champions in it. It would have made a farce of the thing and severely damged the brand. I imagine they would have come under intense pressure from the commercial partners too. They were never going to not let us in.