You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wank Phrases people use at work.

bri

I work with an absolute fucking shambles who says, "Let's drill down the data" when she means, "Let's analyse the kids' results". She uses loads of this shit but I seem to have blanked it all from my mind right now, thank fuck.

Swim lanes. Project split into parts

Flying formation. Team structure

North star. Perfect conclusion to a piece of work

Loads more that I've blanked out since leaving my last job in a company ran by Americans. What used to bug me is that everyone began to use this language and half the time I didn't have a clue what anyone actually meant. I'm sure they didn't either.

Leverage is more widely used but one that just makes my blood boil immediately.

Edited by cmuller

"In due course" "liase with " "validation effort"

fucking hate them

We have a big fat blubbery fucktard mongo who uses it for everything.

Asks you a question with multiple answers so he looks as if he knows what he's talking about. Like betting on 2 boxers, both to win and also to draw, he has all angles covered. the useless steaming shit pile.

I don't like him.

"Synergy"

One minute you can combine two teams to get more than the sum of their parts.

The next minute, two combined teams is overkill, and wasteful.

Every fucking year there's a not organisational structure, yet the biggest waste of energy is in the reorganising.

"Town Hall"

An American phrase for everybody gathering in the canteen to listen to what is essentially an evangelical sales pitch to internal staff. Motivational (cheesy) American 'can do' crap - whilst the company clear CANNOT do, which explains why it's cutting 10,000 jobs.

"Company / Corporate Culture'

It's a place of work, not a religious sect. It's not a fucking lifestyle choice. And when pressed to actually define what this alleged 'culture' is - it's the same as all the other businesses in town... 'strive to be the best', 'go the extra mile'.

Funny that... 'GO THE EXTRA MILE????"..... try handing in your mileage expenses and see how they like the extra mile then.

I'm hearing "Client-centric" more and more often. "Lets take a more client-centric approach to this". "Yeah sure, after I disembowel you with this paperclip".

"Singing from the same hymn sheet"

"Lets make sure we get everyones buy-in"

"Leveraging synergies"

Also, referring to people with knowledge of a new procedure or system as "Champions". Fuck off.

Wow that is high level cuntery and also a shit analogy

If I'm cornered on this analogy I prefer to use the phrase "Yeah, it'll wipe its own arse". They don't like it but they get my drift.

A slight aside, when my boss comes from London to meet the client, he reserves his 'special' cufflinks; one of which says "CU" and the other says"NT". I like that a lot.

If someone wants to know if you the time and resource to do something "have you got the bandwidth?" Do fuck off, please.

Oh and another bloke at a place I used to work at refers to himself as a "scrum master". Its no surprise to know that he is an absolute cunt.

Also, referring to people with knowledge of a new procedure or system as "Champions". Fuck off.

Or, Change Champion. Check

"Step Change" - I'm still not sure what it really means.

Check.

Oh, fuck off, will you?