You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your top 5 TV shows?

JER

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Dallas (By a proverbial mile)

2. Only Fools and Horses

3. Big Brother

4. V

5. Match of the Day

V - fucking great shout, John. I used to love it, although it freaked me out quite a bit when they did their furry animal eating thang.

Guest Gazmo25
Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps is about as funny as terminal cancer of the cock.

I'd rather insert razor blades up my starfish than sit through more than two minutes of that utter shoite.

Apparently it was written by a woman. A woman who is a student.

What else needs to said?

Couldn't agree more Tom, think it is the worst programme I have possibly seen. For my five anyway, here goes...

1) The Simpsons

2) 24

3) I'm Alan Partridge (First series more than second, second is a bit of a slow burner but First is just genius)

4) Brass Eye

5) Monkey Dust

Impossible to point to just five so in a sort of "best of category" way:

1.Overall tops - Sopranos

2.Drama - Boys from Blackstuff

3.Comedy drama - Minder

4.Comedy - Fawlty Towers

5.Soap - tie between Dallas and Eastenders

BTW - when I mentioned 7 of 9 in the old GF days I had to explain who I was on about.

V - fucking great shout, John. I used to love it, although it freaked me out quite a bit when they did their furry animal eating thang.

I know what you mean. The one that always sticks out in my head was when Diana (the fit alien) I had a crush on her when I was EIGHT YEARS OLD by the way (beat that suckers), anyway she ate a big white rat dangling it from the tail into her mouthand it just a big lump in her throat as it was going down. Urgh.

I know what you mean. The one that always sticks out in my head was when Diana (the fit alien) I had a crush on her when I was EIGHT YEARS OLD by the way (beat that suckers), anyway she ate a big white rat dangling it from the tail into her mouthand it just a big lump in her throat as it was going down. Urgh.

With her,you'd be hoping for spit not swallow.

The Shield! That was my number ten. Vic Mackie is The Bomb!

Was going to put 24 in there, but you just can't argue with Vic Mackie can you? Ross Kemp missed a role of a lifetime there I tell you. Also Paul, was it you who mentioned The Wire? (Think someone else did as well, but you talked about it for a few lines). Just finished the first series. Absolute class. It's one of those programmes that doesn't immediately hit you, but you just know that if you stick with it, you're watching something special. The only reason I didn't put it in is a) cos of the quality of show already in there, and b) cos I've only watched the first series, and am now waiting for 2 and 3 to come out on DVD.

And I know you were the one who mentioned Aaron Sorkin - hands down the best living screen lyricist in the world today. You're right, he sometimes is guilty of a little schmaltz, but the guy's a first rate theatre poet and I can never get sick of watching Seasons 1 and 2 of The West Wing. For me the closest programme to perfection that's ever been on a TV screen.

off the top of my head.

Simpsons - pure consistent comedy genius

Band of Brothers - Awesome and moving in a way television rarely is.

Brass Eye - The most brave television i've ever seen and right on the money.

BBC at Glastonbury - Every year that they do it I try and watch as many seconds of it as possible. From Damien Rice and Kethryn Williams doing little acoustic sets to Radiohead and Queens of the Stone age on the bigger setting it it the best music you will ever see on TV.

5 - One of Scrubs, Match of the day, Only fools and horses, Monkey Dust, Have I got news for you, Newsnight, The office, Green Wing, 24 and Gonzo on MTV2.

or other stuff I forgot.

Was going to put 24 in there, but you just can't argue with Vic Mackie can you? Ross Kemp missed a role of a lifetime there I tell you. Also Paul, was it you who mentioned The Wire? (Think someone else did as well, but you talked about it for a few lines). Just finished the first series. Absolute class. It's one of those programmes that doesn't immediately hit you, but you just know that if you stick with it, you're watching something special. The only reason I didn't put it in is a) cos of the quality of show already in there, and b) cos I've only watched the first series, and am now waiting for 2 and 3 to come out on DVD.

And I know you were the one who mentioned Aaron Sorkin - hands down the best living screen lyricist in the world today. You're right, he sometimes is guilty of a little schmaltz, but the guy's a first rate theatre poet and I can never get sick of watching Seasons 1 and 2 of The West Wing. For me the closest programme to perfection that's ever been on a TV screen.

I wrote a thousand word eulogy of The Wire for Amazon, and then lost it. It was a work of love, for a mind-blowing show.

Can I be a bit controversial here? "24" is formulaic shite. There - I said it. Ooh, let's get a slightly wooden actor whose career has gone sufficiently tits-up to make him believeable in this role, and then send him on a mad mission to save the world (and his daughter), and the president (and his daughter), and the U.S. of A. (and his daughter). And we'll do it all in one day. Suspend my disbelief? I had to suspend my mental faculties. The dialogue is clumsy, the plots ever more convoluted and the villains are one-dimensional.

The first eight episodes (which is all they got the money for, initially) were ace - taut, pacey and innovative. After that, it went rapidly downhill. It just about limped home to the end of the first series, with weird "Shit, we really need to finish this thing quickly" plot twists, but was embarrassing after that. I laughed at series two and gave up after forty minutes of series three.

I believe there is now a version for mobile phones, which just about sums up their approach to writing: it's text message English for the telly.

The Day Today.

The All-New Harry Hill Show.

Comedy, hmm. I love comedy, but it's a great divider, isn't it? There are loads of people who can not stand American comedy; often the same people who rave about all British comedy pre-1980. It's weird the way you can be right on someone's wave-length in terms of your tastes and then they'll throw a "Two Point Four Children" into the mix.*

*NB, this is really in relation to your choices; just an observation.

Ooh, let's get a slightly wooden actor whose career has gone sufficiently tits-up to make him believeable in this role

The blatant anti-Canadian feelings on the forum have to stop. I'll accept Celine and Bryan Adams bashing, but lay off the Sutherlands. Kiefer and Donald (MASH- legendary performance) are icons. And on the Top 5 albums only the great aws gives us some love- Leonard Cohen.

This all started with Trey Parker and his 'Blame Canada' campaign.

Comedy, hmm. I love comedy, but it's a great divider, isn't it? There are loads of people who can not stand American comedy; often the same people who rave about all British comedy pre-1980. It's weird the way you can be right on someone's wave-length in terms of your tastes and then they'll throw a "Two Point Four Children" into the mix.*

*NB, this is really in relation to your choices; just an observation.

Come on - out with it ! - what have you got against Day today hmmm ?

Harry Hill I can understand - love him or hate him - he sends me semi-hysterical with laughter sometimes. His stage shows are the best tho - running gags that just build and build.

Come on - out with it ! - what have you got against Day today hmmm ?

Harry Hill I can understand - love him or hate him - he sends me semi-hysterical with laughter sometimes. His stage shows are the best tho - running gags that just build and build.

Can't believe I put an adendum on my post that made it more misleading than it was originally. I missed out the word "not": "...this is NOT really in relation..." What a balloon. Sorry.

Can't believe I put an adendum on my post that made it more misleading than it was originally. I missed out the word "not": "...this is NOT really in relation..." What a balloon. Sorry.

No problem dude.

* tries to cancel teenage hitman's contract but unable to get through as mobile constantly engaged and mailbox full.