You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (A) - EL Quarter Final, 2nd leg - Thu 18th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

My only hope now is that we've got players back from injury and maybe focusing fully on the league with no distractions will help. It could just take a decent start in our next game with someone scoring early on (instead of the other way around) and we might get moving again. If that happens maybe it'll hit that it's the last bunch of games for the season and that it's actually time to try and do something.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Van Dijk: “We need our fans more than ever for the last 6 games of the season. Anything is possible.”

you keep saying anything is possible but so far it's resulted in getting knocked out of two cups and losing our grip at the top of the table with similar sentiment after each. It's probably time you and the rest of the team start doing something.

He and Klopp are contractually obliged to spin out that kind of bland spiel after games. It’s pretty clear our form has fallen through the floor, but are you expecting him to say, realistically? Criticise himself, Salah, Nunez and just about everyone else?

If you took over as our manager and wanted to play possession based football, and wanted to build a squad with the next 2/3 years in mind, how many of this lot would you actually keep? 

It's not many, is it? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

2nd half Gasperini definitely told them at ht to be more aggressive man to man and just like Anfield we didn't have the bravery or movement to deal with it.

Agree with all of that but the biggest thing lacking was intelligence. The way we approached that 2nd half was incredibly fucking thick. Doing the exact same shit over and over, which also happened to be exactly what Atalanta wanted us to do.

I keep saying about how this team can't sort out problems on the pitch and need Klopp's half time classroom lesson to show them the way. The second half tonight was the most glaring example of it yet. Utterly clueless.

The inability of even one player in this team to be able to beat their man fucked us too, but that kind of comes under what you said about bravery and movement.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

If you took over as our manager and wanted to play possession based football, and wanted to build a squad with the next 2/3 years in mind, how many of this lot would. You actually keep? 

It's not many, is it? 

Honestly, the goalie and Virgil aside we look like a West Ham squad.

Just now, El Rojo said:

He and Klopp are contractually obliged to spin out that kind of bland spiel after games. It’s pretty clear our form has fallen through the floor, but are you expecting him to say, realistically? Criticise himself, Salah, Nunez and just about everyone else?

Am I expecting players to be honest and take some responsibility? Yes.

Robertson had no problem doing it on the weekend.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Good job Amorim isn't possession based City/Arsenal type then.

He is slow from the back though, not so much once the move forward but everytime i have seen them there is plenty of possession based football in the defensive third keeping possession passing around between the CBs and CM to pull players out of position or tempt a press before moving quickly to the front 3 

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Looking forward to the team falling off a cliff next season. Klopp was nothing but a miracle worker. There's no one in world football who can do what he did with this club.

We're fucked

You'd think he took a bunch of third division players to the top.

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If you took over as our manager and wanted to play possession based football, and wanted to build a squad with the next 2/3 years in mind, how many of this lot would you actually keep? 

It's not many, is it? 

If it's possession based football, you would have to rebuild the team.

2 minutes ago, Special K said:

Looking forward to the team falling off a cliff next season. Klopp was nothing but a miracle worker. There's no one in world football who can do what he did with this club.

We're fucked

Europa Conference here we come!

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

We're fucked

Look up mate.  There's the cliff we've fallen off.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

I don’t give a shite what any of them say in interviews, good, bad or indifferent. I just want to see an improvement in our performance but it’s hard not to see our title ‘charge’ coming to a flat end on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

the Sanatogen only lasted for the first half, then he returned to being poor, especially defensively.

5 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Not even close. 19/20 would absolutely wipe the floor with these frauds. 

Not team, squad - it has been said endlessly that the club is being left in a great shape squad wise - perhaps the best ever for an incoming coach.

That squad wasn't real deep.

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Agree with all of that but the biggest thing lacking was intelligence. The way we approached that 2nd half was incredibly fucking thick. Doing the exact same shit over and over, which also happened to be exactly what Atalanta wanted us to do.

I keep saying about how this team can't sort out problems on the pitch and need Klopp's half time classroom lesson to show them the way. The second half tonight was the most glaring example of it yet. Utterly clueless.

The inability of even one player in this team to be able to beat their man fucked us too, but that kind of comes under what you said about bravery and movement.

We can't adapt. They don't seem to learn and it feels like we take a while to snap out of these bad runs. Its more frustrating because you see ability there but the gap between our best and worst is massive. It's like watching a completely different team.

It seems mostly mental to me, just not enough courage to play on the front foot and cowering if a team gets at us and shows initative. Its just that lack of belief, they don't stamp any authority on the opposition to remind them who they're playing against. A bit too nice?

I was busy this evening so was watching the game delayed. After 5 mins of the second half, i thought id come on here, as the writing  was on the wall and it was inevitable we had gone out. To see it remained nil one was a nice surprise. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

If it's possession based football, you would have to rebuild the team.

Yes, which has rather restricted our options regarding the next manager. 

I haven't a clue about Amorim as you couldn't pay me to watch the Portuguese league, but I'm assuming he is more a "sprint around, cause some chaos" type? He doesn't want intelligent footballers, does he? 

Hope not, like. 

There was a spell in the first half when our forwards were buzzing all around the pitch and they couldn’t get near us. Klopp must have thought I’m not having that and made them stick to their positions that just don’t fucking work and that was it as far as we were gonna get as an attacking unit. 

However, salah missing that sitter and Diaz not taking it around the keeper instead of trying to lift it over him in the first half were just typical of us this season.

Oh, and the subs made us even worse tonight 

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

We're fucked

we look like were falling off a cliff now like we done before with Klopp

They seemed to press us just to force us back or deeper as if we went sideways they then dropped back in instead of chasing us down. We just folded a bit under the pressure and plsyed the game how atalanta wanted. I think if we had more two footed players we'd be less susceptible to this.