You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) - EL Quarter Final, 1st leg - Thu 11th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A fair few times in the first half, Elliott was making himself available in that "Salah position", out wide right with acres to run into.  Time and again, instead of trying to find him, whichever dope was on the ball kept turning back into a brutally overcrowded midfield and inevitably losing possession.  On the one or two occasions that pass was tried, it was played like Peter Kay in the old John Smiths advert and went straight out for a goal kick.

He was horribly unlucky with that double woodwork hit too.

7 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

Would rather have had Firmino stay at the club amd us sold Nunez in the summer. Even a past it bobby is 10 times the player Nunez is.

Can't be doing with Nunez anymore. They guy  has the ego of Zlatan but the ability of nicklas bendtner. Absolutely horrendous decision to spunk £80m on that. 

Firmino played half a season in Saudi without a goal. It's complete nonsense to suggest he's the answer to any goalscoring problem we have. Firmino is done as a footballer, which is why he's playing in a retirement home. The bobby of 3 years ago might be useful, but he's not that. 

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

But with a stronger side than we were able to start a month ago when we were getting results. We’ve needed to rotate. You could argue we could have rotated more against sheff utd last week, but that team should have been strong enough to beat a non-CL European team. 

Most people would put Endo in our best 11 and he was dreadful. If he’s not in our best 11, Jones certainly is and he was worse. Again, most people would put Konate in our best 11 and he looked like a pissed Sakho. 

The manager and coaching staff must have believed that Jones was fit to play. Tsimikas should have had more game time in recent weeks, but maybe he’s played as badly as that in training and that’s why we’ve played Gomez at LB. 

No problem with rotation because so many of our player have looked goosed. Mo looks so far off it physically at the moment that he couldn’t be expected to play 90 minutes. 

The starting 11 all have a right expect game time, but no right to play as badly as that.

Jones was out there to get fitness. He's going to take time to get to a level. And personally I think endo needs taking out, he's mentally exhausted, he has no idea where to put himself on the pitch and has been like this for a few games. 

And Mo wouldn't be involved if he wasn't Mo. He is clearly still injured, you could see it in his reaction to that shot he had early 2nd half. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We have no idea whether 33 year-old Thiago is anything like the player 30 year-old Thiago was.

Our first-choice midfield now is Endo, Mac Allister and Szoboszlai (with an argument to be made for swapping Jones for one of them).  All of them played last night and all of them stunk.

How many players miss over a calendat year of football with an injury at such an age and then return as good as they were?

My guess would be not many - especially ones who have had injury, after injury, after injury in the previous 3 years.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

That's an interesting observation.

It's as if because he's decided to quit, half the players have decided they're not arsed any more. 

11 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Some of these on Fotmob are very fucking generous. 

Screenshot_20240412_093845_FotMob.jpg

Not Kelleher’s best game, but I’d have most of them aside from Van Dijk, Mac Allister, Elliott and Gakpo rated below him.

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Not Kelleher’s best game, but I’d have most of them aside from Van Dijk, Mac Allister, Elliott and Gakpo rated below him.

I've been on Gakpo's case for weeks but I thought he was probably the only one who deserved any credit last night. He looked arsed at least. There were one or two others who looked arsed, Nunez, Harvey, but they were just indescribably shite. 

1 minute ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I've been on Gakpo's case for weeks but I thought he was probably the only one who deserved any credit last night. He looked arsed at least. 

He was decent but still didn’t have a huge effect on the game. At least he was picking the ball up a bit deeper and going on runs which is where he excelled last season. 

22 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

It's as if because he's decided to quit, half the players have decided they're not arsed any more. 

I love the bloke, but I don't adore him.

In our pantheon, he is among peers, not underlings.

"The club has always been bigger than the individual." 

- Bob Paisley.

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

How many players miss over a calendat year of football with an injury at such an age and then return as good as they were?

My guess would be not many - especially ones who have had injury, after injury, after injury in the previous 3 years.

Even without the injuries, the passage of time may well have affected him the way it does every living thing on the planet.

31 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

No it isn't.

If that performance had come the week Klopp made his announcement, that post would still be wrong, but at least it would be within the realms of "not completely daft".

Since Klopp's announcement, we've won a trophy and kept competing and turning in a series of great results despite a ridiculous injury crisis.  Let's not pretend that last night's shitshow was typical of this season: it's fucking infuriating precisely because we've come to expect so much better from these players this season.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

He was also doing stretching and squatting that he never does. 

yeah, that's what i meant about after that shot. then when the play stopped he walked out to talk to the bench. it seems quite clear to me they've decided to get what the can out of the season and just patch him up. 

29 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Was out in Farringdon last night and couldn’t find a pub showing it.

Did I miss much? 

not even the sports bar and grill? my mate was going there to watch it.  

29 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I've been on Gakpo's case for weeks but I thought he was probably the only one who deserved any credit last night. He looked arsed at least. There were one or two others who looked arsed, Nunez, Harvey, but they were just indescribably shite. 

yeah and he still wasn't good, he just wasn't shit. he was ok on sunday too. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No it isn't.

If that performance had come the week Klopp made his announcement, that post would still be wrong, but at least it would be within the realms of "not completely daft".

Since Klopp's announcement, we've won a trophy and kept competing and turning in a series of great results despite a ridiculous injury crisis.  Let's not pretend that last night's shitshow was typical of this season: it's fucking infuriating precisely because we've come to expect so much better from these players this season.

Most of those performances have been with our second string. And I'm not suggesting it's a reflection on the season since his announcement, I've worded that badly. As Dave said on the pod, Klopp seems to have become  very laid back of late, which looks as it has translated to the performances of some of our "big" players. 

Palace worry me this weekend. They really fucking shouldn't. 

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

yeah, that's what i meant about after that shot. then when the play stopped he walked out to talk to the bench. it seems quite clear to me they've decided to get what the can out of the season and just patch him up. 

not even the sports bar and grill? my mate was going there to watch it.  

yeah and he still wasn't good, he just wasn't shit. he was ok on sunday too. 

Apart from the market I know very little about that part of town.

Wont be rushing back, filled with smug, after work bellends.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Firmino played half a season in Saudi without a goal. It's complete nonsense to suggest he's the answer to any goalscoring problem we have. Firmino is done as a footballer, which is why he's playing in a retirement home. The bobby of 3 years ago might be useful, but he's not that. 

Jones was out there to get fitness. He's going to take time to get to a level. And personally I think endo needs taking out, he's mentally exhausted, he has no idea where to put himself on the pitch and has been like this for a few games. 

And Mo wouldn't be involved if he wasn't Mo. He is clearly still injured, you could see it in his reaction to that shot he had early 2nd half. 

I think Bobby of 3 years ago played 3300 minutes and scored 9 goals, one single at home that season that was on the last game day.. he is the last player we need right now

• Upvote 3