You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not even talking of HG stuff - just the core of senior players we will use - do the math.

On the assumption that Glatzel, Matip, Thiago and Adrian leave (Jaros stays) at the end of the season we'll have a core of 18 players registered for the 25 man squad.

Gravenberch takes that to 19 because he'll be counted as 21 or over next year.

Elliott, Bradley and Quansah don't qualify until the season after, Bajcetic the year after them and Clarke the year after them.

That gives us 6 squad places* out of the 25, for the 24/25 season and doesn't prevent us from signing players born on or after January 1st 2023 who also won't need to be registered.

*Remains to be seen what will happen with the likes of Pitaluga/Harvey Davies in a re-jigged goalkeeping core.

I think we'll only sign 1 and look for an in house solution as well but I don't think squad numbers will be the determining factor.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

On the assumption that Glatzel, Matip, Thiago and Adrian leave (Jaros stays) at the end of the season we'll have a core of 18 players registered for the 25 man squad.

Gravenberch takes that to 19 because he'll be counted as 21 or over next year.

Elliott, Bradley and Quansah don't qualify until the season after, Bajcetic the year after them and Clarke the year after them.

That gives us 6 squad places out of the 25, for the 24/25 season and doesn't prevent us from signing players born on or after January 1st 2023 who also won't need to be registered.

Not even talking of HG stuff

Let's try it this way. we are not Chelsea so we will not be signing a couple (probably not even one) player above our "recognized" first team squad imo. Let's leave out the word senior. 

If in this 3-4-3 hypothetical we are going to carry 6 recognized CBs (Gomez being one) we will have 10 slots for midfielders in a working squad of 25, and currently all our FB's would be classed there.

Without adding anyone - or taking players like Clarke, McConnell into it - we are one heavy in that bucket. That one being Bajcetic.

For me we have 23 well established players - 2 of which are keepers. A 3rd string keeper will come in no matter what.

If this fella comes I fully expect him to bring Inacio. In fact, I already hate him and if he did get the gig and didn't bring Inacio I would hate him even more immediately.

I could see maybe one more top player added (in addition to this Inacio lad) with no one leaving - no more for a few reasons.

Just doubtful to me that player would be another CB.

We will see some players leave aswell imo. If that's on loan in the case of Clark,McConnell etc or transfers we will have to see.

I can see Tsimikas getting moved on for a younger wingback. He's 28 next month and will never be first choice or a long term replacement for Robertson

Thiago and Matip will be off. 

Possibly Kelleher 

Mo and Trent if they do sign extensions

It goes against my "do we know if Branthwaite is even good" take, because there are similar concerns about playing for a shite team who defend deep and don't pass it short, but I think Murillo would be a big target if Amorim came.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

It goes against my "do we know if Branthwaite is even good" take, because there are similar concerns about playing for a shite team who defend deep and don't pass it short, but I think Murillo would be a big target if Amorim came.

We have been linked over the past week. Might just be that they will need to sell this summer. Not really noticed him to be honest, as a unit they appear to be shit though. Mind you Stephan Henchoz played for a relegated Blackburn

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We have been linked over the past week. Might just be that they will need to sell this summer. Not really noticed him to be honest, as a unit they appear to be shit though. Mind you Stephan Henchoz played for a relegated Blackburn

I think he's hard to miss, to be honest. From what I've seen, he plays with immense aggression and he's a beefy boy who bullies people. 

Some of the passing in the Youtube clips from Brazil is immense as well.

And yeah, I think they'll need to sell.

• Like 1

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

I think he's hard to miss, to be honest. From what I've seen, he plays with immense aggression and he's a beefy boy who bullies people. 

We were linked before he signed for Forest as well, think it was around the same time we were being linked with Lucas Beraldo.

3 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Does this amorim guy play a quiet defensive brand of football? 

I won't lie, I'm rather worried about that if true

It seems at the same time conservative without the ball but not conservative with the ball.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not noticed his defending much so I'm not advocating we sign him, but he does some spectacular shit rampaging forward and he's fun to watch. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

And yeah, I think they'll need to sell.

Any chance of a top ten beefy boys list? 

• Upvote 2

Im pretty depressed about the description of Amorims tactics. Pressing has been this teams identity and will be shit to see us not doing that, not to mention hard for this group of players to have to completely relearn tactically. 

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Any chance of a top ten beefy boys list? 

To be honest, when it comes to footballers, in terms of what I like to watch, the twinkier the better.

But in the modern game sometimes you need some girth.

5 minutes ago, etho said:

Im pretty depressed about the description of Amorims tactics. Pressing has been this teams identity and will be shit to see us not doing that, not to mention hard for this group of players to have to completely relearn tactically. 

Sporting press.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/article/sporting-cp-liga-nos-2020-2021-tactical-analysis-tactics

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

To be honest, when it comes to footballers, in terms of what I like to watch, the twinkier the better.

But in the modern game sometimes you need some girth.

icegif-214.gif

4 minutes ago, etho said:

Surely this guys teams press high up? 

It's shown in modern football, that's really how you win things. 

Saying that, I do often think we don't press near as much as city or arsenal. 

So maybe we don't press as much as we think? 

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Good article, although I had to use archive.is to read it.

One thing I noticed from watching a bit of them (especially the Benfica game the other night) is their wide forwards cover a lot of ground, constantly part of the pressing game whenever they’re out of possession. They’ll drop off when they’re beaten in the press as well, our lads tend to stay high up and wait for a midfielder or defender to win it back, so they’re in a good position for a counter.

Diaz and Jota press pretty well, Darwin has his moments, but I don’t see Mo suddenly becoming a pressing monster at 32. 

11 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Girth > length

There must be a balance. Just like twinks delicately and precisely passing eachother the ball is my esthetic preference in football, but they must also not be too nebbish.

• Upvote 1

Never been a fan of the whole 3 at the back system was it Roy Evans last LFC Manager to play that system and not many teams won title playing that can only think of Conte at Chelsea who win title playing 3 at the back besides if we want a pressing 433 system there is a certain Xavi Hernandez leaving Barca this summer won the league there too 

22 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Never been a fan of the whole 3 at the back system was it Roy Evans last LFC Manager to play that system and not many teams won title playing that can only think of Conte at Chelsea who win title playing 3 at the back besides if we want a pressing 433 system there is a certain Xavi Hernandez leaving Barca this summer won the league there too 

This country has never really done formations well. The majority of the coaches hadn't moved out of 442 before the year 2000. All sung from from the playback of Charles Reep