You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This football regulator bollocks.

Why are so many people wanking themselves silly over this? 

It was first mooted by Boris Johnson as purely a ploy to gain votes. The cunt knows as much, or cares as much about football as he does fidelity. 

He led a party with a decades long history of hostility and outright hatred of football fans. Not one single tory MP gives a flying fuck about ‘community clubs’ or the ‘football pyramid’. 

This was the government that pressured the premier league to approve the vile Saudi Arabia take over of Newcastle United for their own commercial benefit. 

And it’s not just tories I wouldn’t trust with a barge pole when it comes to football.

We had a Labour Home Secretary who claimed to be a football fan who point blank refused to relook at the Hillsborough Disaster despite mountains of evidence showing one of the worst cover ups in history going straight to the top of government, policing, media and the cosy relationships between them all. 

None of them give a fuck about the greater good of football, this is purely about PR and trying to shut up that fucking manc rat Neville with his constant crusade of wanting to end up heading this. 

There will not be one single, meaningful benefit of this to any football fan of any club regardless of which division they’re in. 

It won’t stop a single club going bust, it won’t stop nation states buying clubs and it wont stop financial doping on a mass scale. 

It’s just absolute PR shite that was designed to distract the minions and hopefully gain the government a few more votes. 

It’s thoroughly depressing you have the likes of the GFW (who really should know better) and idiots lapping it up believing it to be ‘for the greater good’. 

It’s a fucking con that will achieve the square root of fuck all, shame on those that believe any different. 

• Upvote 7

Given how prone regulators in the UK are to capture by the industries they are meant to be keeping an eye on and the consistent toothlessness of these bodies I'm a bit suprised too at the glee that has accompanied the start of this legislation.

Mind you it gives a great opportunity for some of those in our political class to earn a bit extra from tabling amendments drafted by lawyers representing PIF and UAE interests, so what's not to love?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Why are so many people wanking themselves silly over this? 

It was first mooted by Boris Johnson as purely a ploy to gain votes. The cunt knows as much, or cares as much about football as he does fidelity. 

He led a party with a decades long history of hostility and outright hatred of football fans. Not one single tory MP gives a flying fuck about ‘community clubs’ or the ‘football pyramid’. 

This was the government that pressured the premier league to approve the vile Saudi Arabia take over of Newcastle United for their own commercial benefit. 

And it’s not just tories I wouldn’t trust with a barge pole when it comes to football.

We had a Labour Home Secretary who claimed to be a football fan who point blank refused to relook at the Hillsborough Disaster despite mountains of evidence showing one of the worst cover ups in history going straight to the top of government, policing, media and the cosy relationships between them all. 

None of them give a fuck about the greater good of football, this is purely about PR and trying to shut up that fucking manc rat Neville with his constant crusade of wanting to end up heading this. 

There will not be one single, meaningful benefit of this to any football fan of any club regardless of which division they’re in. 

It won’t stop a single club going bust, it won’t stop nation states buying clubs and it wont stop financial doping on a mass scale. 

It’s just absolute PR shite that was designed to distract the minions and hopefully gain the government a few more votes. 

It’s thoroughly depressing you have the likes of the GFW (who really should know better) and idiots lapping it up believing it to be ‘for the greater good’. 

It’s a fucking con that will achieve the square root of fuck all, shame on those that believe any different. 

This is bang on. Politicians can fuck off

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

Given how prone regulators in the UK are to capture by the industries they are meant to be keeping an eye on and the consistent toothlessness of these bodies I'm a bit suprised too at the glee that has accompanied the start of this legislation.

Mind you it gives a great opportunity for some of those in our political class to earn a bit extra from tabling amendments drafted by lawyers representing PIF and UAE interests, so what's not to love?

My thoughts precisely. We’ve all seen the great benefits Ofwat, Ofgem and Ofcom have brought to our lives. I’ve no doubt Offoot or whatever the fuck they’ll call it will bring similar joy to our sport.

That’s before you mention the government taking an active role in waving through state takeovers they thought would help smooth international relations in a state of desperation. I’m sure they’ll bring a similar, suitable view of independence to their regulation of football.

All hail the glorious new order.

Basically, the state owned clubs want to be able to have the unlimited funding of their state. The clubs outside their hated 6 want to be able to spend well beyond their means without any meaningful sanction for breaching any spending rules.

It seems to me it would make the breakaway of the ESL clubs almost inevitable, along with maybe Villa and Newcastle, leaving the rest to eat whatever rats they can catch in alleyways. I suspect just to scratch a living the remainder of the PL and the Championship would have to merge in some form. Their TV money would be severely reduced.

Probably so when the Premier League recommends relegation and trophies be stripped from Man City, the government can go “Hmmmm, we trade a lot with the UAE, we don’t want to damage any relationships, just let them off…”. 

• Upvote 5

I don't really get the tirade against a regulator. The industry clearly does need regulating. 

I'm a small government guy (pretty rate on here) and I'm surprised that everybody wants the current capitalist wild west to continue. Its pretty disorientating - especially given how left wing people tend to be on here. 

I don't have much faith in government, or really any but surely it can't be any worse to have some state regulatory involvement. 

4 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I don't really get the tirade against a regulator. The industry clearly does need regulating. 

I'm a small government guy (pretty rate on here) and I'm surprised that everybody wants the current capitalist wild west to continue. Its pretty disorientating - especially given how left wing people tend to be on here. 

I don't have much faith in government, or really any but surely it can't be any worse to have some state regulatory involvement. 

Yes it can be worse. Do you live in the UK?

5 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I think Vlad's point is salient here.

We're a rotten basket case of corruption (titled 'sleeze' to avoid legal ramifications), kleptocracy and dreadful governance. That, I think is the source of the the scepticism instead of any sort of inverted political ideology.

There's always the temptation to look at how the UK compares on various governance and corruption indices to rationalise, but when you're on the ground (i.e. part of the disenfranchised element of the population that said basket is being subject to), the perception is that the country really wouldn't be that much different if we'd have had a load of gangsters running the show for the past decade and a half.

If Scott_M's prediction came to pass would anyone bat an eyelid? Or be that suprised?

7 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Probably so when the Premier League recommends relegation and trophies be stripped from Man City, the government can go “Hmmmm, we trade a lot with the UAE, we don’t want to damage any relationships, just let them off…”. 

It's pretty much what a lot us expect and some fear.

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

We're a rotten basket case of corruption (titled 'sleeze' to avoid legal ramifications), kleptocracy and dreadful governance. That, I think is the source of the the scepticism instead of any sort of inverted political ideology.

There's always the temptation to look at how the UK compares on various governance and corruption indices to rationalise, but when you're on the ground (i.e. part of the disenfranchised element of the population that said basket is being subject to), the perception is that the country really wouldn't be that much different if we'd have had a load of gangsters running the show for the past decade and a half.

If Scott_M's prediction came to pass would anyone bat an eyelid? Or be that suprised?

Disenfranchised? If you are a citizen you have a vote . Problem appears to be a lot of people can’t be arsed voting .If they had bothered Brexit would not have happened. But wrong thread for this.

This call will fuck the premier league given the twats in government already pushed the premier league on the Saudis buying Newcastle.

13 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

Yes of course, Does that make the UK government worse than the collection of oil states, agents and corrupt officials who currently run football. I don't think so. At least the UK government has a tangential interest in the public good and we do get a vote however watered down its influence. 

As I say if anybody has a better idea I'm all ears. 

We're better off with a regulator than without.  How effective it is will be a conversation to be had in a few years.  But football badly needs oversight as what is happening now can't continue.

Everybody dismissed PSR as nonsense, but it was always going to take a number of years, and now it's effect is been seen.  Even the financial bemouths like Man Utd are seeing the impact.  

If the option is no regulator or a regulator, then the latter is much better.

13 hours ago, The wanderer said:

Disenfranchised? If you are a citizen you have a vote . Problem appears to be a lot of people can’t be arsed voting .If they had bothered Brexit would not have happened. But wrong thread for this.

This call will fuck the premier league given the twats in government already pushed the premier league on the Saudis buying Newcastle.

I would concur this isn't the thread for it, but to elaborate on my previous comment- I live in a safe seat where my vote has absolutely no valance at either a national, mayoral or council level, I may as well fart on the ballot paper for all the use my ticking of a box does.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2024 at 21:43, The wanderer said:

That vote doesn't even allow a difference,pretty much like the USA. Two sides of the same coin. But this is not the thread for that.

I think the Premier League is one of the worst governed organisations I've ever seen. It's a fucking sham of amateur politicians. Been of that view since Suarez and this last season or so has driven the point home. Everton should have faced punishment last season, but they let them off and this season they are painting themselves into a corner with the timeframes for delivering judgement on two cases. Meanwhile, Newcastle have lost a player for a year from October, during the same time a rival in the league has had a player under investigation since August with no sign of an outcome. Pretty soon it's going to have impact on that player again as no one is going to try and sign a player with that hanging over them. Unfair on all involved. 

Then there's their oversight of PGMOL, whose own lack of governance is just pathetic. A boys club with no sense of integrity or understanding of how inducement works.

There's absolutely no reason why only one case can be heard at a time, other than the fact that the executives are more worried about covering their arses than protecting the league against cheating. Take it off the cunts.