You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Fulham 1 (Jan 10 2024)

image.jpeg

Once again we’ve had to come back from being behind. Once again we’ve been a bit shit in the first half and needed Klopp to fix it at the break. Once again, the subs made the difference. Once again, Darwin was fucking boss but somehow didn’t score again. Rinse and repeat.

It’s been happening for most of the season. We’ve had some good first halves, but we’re essentially a second half team right now. That’s ok, I’d rather start slow and finish strong than the other way around, but it would be nice to have the occasional game put to bed by half time wouldn’t it?

We actually started this game really well but after conceding against the run of play we lost our way. The first ten minutes or so we looked right at it, the counter pressing was brilliant and we kept winning the ball back quickly against a Fulham side who made us look distinctly average only a few weeks ago. And that was when we had Trent and Mo in the side.

We’re down to the bare bones at the moment and had only 13 available senior outfield players for this game. You’d never have known by the way we started the game, but it was quite glaring after we fell behind.

The starting line up didn’t help. Any time I see a team sheet without Nunez I’m bracing myself for disappointment. Say what you like about him, but when he doesn’t play we’re a lot less interesting to watch and infinitely easier to play against. And that’s even when we’ve got Mo in the team.

View full article

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

It's a small point but when the physio came to treat the cheat, he stayed on and took part over the free kick. Later when he went down coote made him go to the sidelines as normal 

1st. If he had taken the free kick and it resulted in a goal? ( it didn't but...)

Then when that cunt went mad at coote for making him go to the sidelines should have booked him for dissent. 

4th official should be there to remind the ref..  

NOVAR. though great 

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

We go to Wembley unless Fulham beat us. We don’t lose many. 

Aye, if Fulham can beat us by two goals, or a goal and on penalties, good luck to them they will deserve their place in the final. 

1 hour ago, Paul Wright said:

It's a small point but when the physio came to treat the cheat, he stayed on and took part over the free kick. Later when he went down coote made him go to the sidelines as normal 

1st. If he had taken the free kick and it resulted in a goal? ( it didn't but...)

Then when that cunt went mad at coote for making him go to the sidelines should have booked him for dissent. 

4th official should be there to remind the ref..  

NOVAR. though great 

Yeah, we were all wondering why he didn’t have to go off after having treatment when Virgil smashed his face to a pulp. Probably another obscure rule buried deep in the dark recesses of the rule book that nobody else has ever noticed. 

• Upvote 1

I think the ref thought, you took the piss on the first one but I had no option  because you held your head, but I'm not getting shafted again and dragged the trainers on to make sure he had to go off and take the mandatory 30 seconds or more before returning. If so, good on him.

I think managers change after half time because they're not 100% sure if a player's performance is down to tactics or they're just having an off day. Maybe waiting till 55/60 minutes gives them a chance to at least put the instructions to work and if they're still not up to it then a sub is made?

The reluctance to change at half time is definitely to do with Klopp wanting to coach the improvements he needs, in my view. This is the best teaching you can do: it’s a match situation with real opponents and the stakes are high. What better imperative to improve could a young player have?

He’ll probably have video examples of what he wants the players under threat of getting hooked to address and then will explain how he wants them to respond. If they can’t do it then they’ll be pulled. 

To me, it’s all part of the Klopp developmental approach. He’ll risk a lot in order to develop players, but when it comes off - as it usually does in the medium to long term - he reaps significant rewards. 

Harvey and Grav will learn loads from each experience they have like this, whether successful in the moment or not 

18 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

I seem to recall reading that if you were injured in a challenge that results in a booking then you don't have to go off after treatment.

Could be right, Frank.

Not sure whether it was the VvD booking incident that was involved, the little nuisance was down that often it's hard to remember.

It seems to be going under the radar how short of our 1st team we are right now. All we hear about is Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle etc struggling against all the odds with their squad while in this game you could argue we were missing 7 players from the starting line up in a cup semi final. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic