You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Toulouse (H) - EL Grp E, Thurs 26th Oct 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

22 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t think we’ll start Chambers and Quansah, IMO, that’s too risky. I think Chambers is only just coming back from an injury as well.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Scanlon is higher up the pecking order than Chambers.

Tsmiskas form is a worry, I think we need to give him a run of games to find some form. I’d start him again tomorrow, Chambers can get some minutes if we’re winning comfortably.

I’d give Gomez the full 90 at right back, we might need him to be sharp at left back if Tsmiskas doesn’t rediscover  any form. 

I think Matip and Quansah in the middle. 

Elliott, Endo and Jones in midfield. 

Jota, Gakpo and Salah up front. 

If, like the Union SG game, if we wanted to go stronger and make subs at 45 or 60 minutes (ie Trent, Szoboszlai & Nunez start) then I’m happy for us to do that as well.

I don’t care if it’s another snooze fest, just win the game, which would effectively win us the group (we’d need 1 win from the remaining 3…).

Elliott - Endo - Jonesy is ten times better than any midfield we could have turned out last season.

That's progress.

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

I reckon Klopp will tell him to be more direct to see how he gets on being Salah when Salah doesn't play. He's been very good off the bench recently - time for him to step it up again.

Hard for the lad....he is still learning to be a midfielder and doing so with limited minutes, then he is asked to play in the front 3.

Just now, an tha said:

Hard for the lad....he is still learning to be a midfielder and doing so with limited minutes, then he is asked to play in the front 3.

Watching his loan performances for Blackburn (I know), he was very direct and scored a few carrying the ball from deep. He's got it in his locker, and he won't be continually looking to lay it off to Salah tonight, so we'll see.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Wait so, Elliott isn't a midfielder according to most people, but now he shouldn't play in the front 3 either? Should he be a left back?

It is more about the scarcity of his playing time as a part of the front 3. So whenever he does come into it he looks largely lost.

He's a kid learning still and he is mostly being asked to learn how to be midfielder and do so with pretty limited mins....To ask him to them start as a forward is a big ask for the kid IMO.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is more about the scarcity of his playing time as a part of the front 3. So whenever he does come into it he looks largely lost.

He's a kid learning still and he is mostly being asked to learn how to be midfielder and do so with pretty limited mins....To ask him to them start as a forward is a big ask for the kid IMO.

It's not. Young players learn skills by playing different positions, when it's done in the right way.

Bukayo Saka was not stunted as an attacking player because he had to play in left back or at wing back, at times.

12 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Watching his loan performances for Blackburn (I know), he was very direct and scored a few carrying the ball from deep. He's got it in his locker, and he won't be continually looking to lay it off to Salah tonight, so we'll see.

I like the lad but he is in danger of drifting into Oxlade Chamberlain territory and not really owning a position if he does not settle into one in next year or so.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not. Young players learn skills by playing different positions, when it's done in the right way.

Bukayo Saka was not stunted as an attacking player because he had to play in left back or at wing back, at times.

You don't benefit in learning how to be a midfielder in our system which Elliott still has a lot of work to do in by playing in the front 3 in our system.

His lack of pace makes him not a great fit for our front 3 too.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

You don't benefit in learning how to be a midfielder in our system which Elliott still has a lot of work to do in by playing in the front 3 in our system.

His lack of pace makes him not a great fit for our front 3 too.

Having Darwin up top means we set up a bit differently though. I envisage Harvey playing Darwin through a couole of times today