You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (A) - Sun 13th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

6 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I imagine it'll be a back 5 for long spells with them looking to go long and over the top. He had Spurs set up like that against us with Kane and Son.

Edit: With that in mind, I hope we sit a bit deeper and look to hit them. If we play that high line, we're fucked.

That Chelsea team finishes seventh. 

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Yeah I meant Jones and Mac as a double pivot, akin to a 4231 but moving to a box midfield in possession (Jones becoming more progressive and Trent moving into the faux 6 role).

It would be Gakpo over Dom for me only out of my own bias, because the former showed last year how good he is putting pressure on the ball and closing passing lanes, we haven't seen anything of Dom yet, but he may be great at that too.

Furry muff.

If it is the box then i like Gakpo and Szobo ahead of Mac and Trent.

As long as those two and the 3 defenders are disciplined and as a 5 defend properly and don't leave too much space get hit hard in transitions i can see the 5 in front of them causing a lot of bother and us winning.

33 minutes ago, bossy said:

If you can’t look forward to the first game of the season with some of the fantastic talent we already have, regardless of all the transfer shite, maybe footy is not for you. Come on Red Men!

I’m looking forward to it!

• Upvote 1

I’m quietly confident today. It seems the ideal time to play a Chelsea team introducing loads of players into their starting line-up. 

The danger will likely be if the Trent coming across into midfield experiment is sufficiently exploited. 

Haven’t watched much of pre-season apart from the odd highlights clip. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Mac Allister. I’m what little I did see of him, he seemed to use the ball well and seemed comfortable receiving it on the half turn and quickly turning innocuous looking possession into good attacking opportunities. 

Into these, Reds! 

That's a very attacking line-up. It's as if we've realised we don't have defensive midfielder and have just decided to throw our best and most attacking players into the line up. We'll either win by four or five or be three down in 20 minutes. I can't say the Chelsea line-up is impressive considering they've thrown £600+ million at it over the last 12 months. 

This will be a very difficult match against a Chelsea side who have finally hired a proper manager and are going to be there or thereabouts this season. I wish I could see anything to justify the outbreak of optimism that seems to have afflicted the forum.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

This will be a very difficult match against a Chelsea side who have finally hired a proper manager and are going to be there or thereabouts this season. I wish I could see anything to justify the outbreak of optimism that seems to have afflicted the forum.

The reason is that its the first game of the season. As someone else said if you don't have a bit of optimism and a few butterflies now then whats the point?

We've got the whole season to be miserable. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Agree that the game shouldn't be a stroll to three points but on paper, man for man we are better than them. I don't think there is a single Chelsea player in their starting 11 that I would swap out one of ours for.