You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-Season 2023

TD_LFC

I think first game will be Alexis at the base with Jones and Szoboszlai in front of him, purely on the basis that Lavia won't have had the full pre season with us, plus Mac Allister is an incredibly tactically astute world cup winning midfielder. He's got alot of the gini about him and you could ask Gini to play any role in the midfield and he would do it excellently. Always enjoyed Gini on the rare occasions he played the 6

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We used it without loss for 10 games at the end of the season. 

Fabinho and Jones were very good in that run, Henderson less so. Thiago was injured for most of it.

Elliott knows the ropes too if required.

If we do get Lavia, I think another additional midfielder after that would be overkill. See how things settle first. 

We could definitely do with a centre half, though.

Just noticed Bradley has not made travelling squad either.

Seems weird as he just signed a 3 year deal...TAA is likely to be needed in midfield...

Unless he is injured as well of course or is off on loan.

No big Nat either.

Liverpool squad for Singapore: Alisson, Gomez, Van Dijk, Konate, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah, Adrian, Jones, Gakpo, Elliott, Jota, Tsimikas, Robertson, Matip, Clark, Scanlon, Doak, McConnell, Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Koumas, Quansah, Mrozek, Frauendorf.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I  dislike the 3 box 3 set up. I reckon we are going to have huge defensive issues throughout the season, concede loads and suffer a similar defensive injury fate as we did a few seasons ago.

I think we need a minimum of 3 more signings regardless of what we play. 

Konate is going to get injured and we will have to sack it off, so obvious

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Just noticed Bradley has not made travelling squad either.

Seems weird as he just signed a 3 year deal...TAA is likely to be needed in midfield...

Unless he is injured as well of course or is off on loan.

No big Nat either.

Liverpool squad for Singapore: Alisson, Gomez, Van Dijk, Konate, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Mac Allister, Salah, Adrian, Jones, Gakpo, Elliott, Jota, Tsimikas, Robertson, Matip, Clark, Scanlon, Doak, McConnell, Kelleher, Alexander-Arnold, Koumas, Quansah, Mrozek, Frauendorf.

"Conor Bradley will miss the trip due to a minor injury, although one serious enough to rule him out of the trip."

According to an article on the Echo site. 

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

Konate is going to get injured and we will have to sack it off, so obvious

Agree on the first part, not sure on the second. I think they'd just ask Gomez to do the job rather than scrap everything else. Either way, we'd still be playing Gomez or Matip, and they won't want to make Trent go to full time right back again.

Konate will get injured at some point though and we'll be poorer as a result of it. I want to see us get a top left sided centre back because I'd then move Virgil over if Konate was unavailable.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I  dislike the 3 box 3 set up. I reckon we are going to have huge defensive issues throughout the season, concede loads and suffer a similar defensive injury fate as we did a few seasons ago.

I think we need a minimum of 3 more signings regardless of what we play. 

So you want to go from 3-2 with all our actual defenders in the middle/defensive third back to the 2-3 where two of our defenders play as wingers and we curtail any midfield threat by using them as auxiliary defenders?

No right or wrong answer, the 2-3 v 3-2 debate just has an air of zonal v man marking about it.

It's possible you can play a combination of both even within games if the players are well drilled enough. The whole idea is you free up Trent to be wherever on the right hand side he needs to be to do the most damage. It's like a free role/libero from right back and he will be the best in the world at doing that. It's why it's so nonsensical to want him to play as one of the three CMS as then he won't have that freedom to do damage on the ball. The only way the opposition can stop it is to push their winger onto him and that should take away their attacking threat.

The nervousness is because of how shit we were last season in the press and the how we were so vulnerable  from a straight ball because of that. But that's always been the case through the Klopp era, we heard every week from pundits about how risky our high line was because it left the risk of us being done by a diagonal ball. Difference was that it very rarely happened because we were so good at keeping the ball and more importantly winning it back at source or cutting the passing lane to play those passes when we lost it.

What probably will happen though in the early stages of the season with the new players is we don't always get it right and it may cost us goals as a result. But that would be the case whether we played Trent inverted or high right.

And to those who want a dedicated right back to just defend, that's not how we play or have ever played under klopp, or how the very best teams in the world play and just isn't how modern football works.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Agree on the first part, not sure on the second. I think they'd just ask Gomez to do the job rather than scrap everything else. Either way, we'd still be playing Gomez or Matip, and they won't want to make Trent go to full time right back again.

Konate will get injured at some point though and we'll be poorer as a result of it. I want to see us get a top left sided centre back because I'd then move Virgil over if Konate was unavailable.

I don't see Gomez being able to do that job. I'm sure he could for 1 match, but when konate gets a 2 month injury you don't want to see Gomez do that. And he might be injured himself with his history. I think the biggest problem with this WM formation is we have a bunch of defenders who aren't suited to it. I don't really want to see Gomez or matip in the right sided centre back or Kostas come in for robbo. 

Not that results matter in these things - but imagine we'll probably need to play a 2nd team v Leicester and save what is more of a 1st team line up for the Bayern Munich game...

Maybe something like...

v Leicester

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Quansah

Tsimikas

Jones

Clark

Elliott

Doak

Nunez

Jota

v Bayern Munich

Alisson

Gomez

Konate

Van Dijk

Robertson

TAA

Mac Allister

Szoboszlai

Salah

Gakpo

Diaz

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Not that results matter in these things - but imagine we'll probably need to play a 2nd team v Leicester and save what is more of a 1st team line up for the Bayern Munich game...

Maybe something like...

v Leicester

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Quansah

Tsimikas

Jones

Clark

Elliott

Doak

Nunez

Jota

v Bayern Munich

Alisson

Gomez

Konate

Van Dijk

Robertson

TAA

Mac Allister

Szoboszlai

Salah

Gakpo

Diaz

Klopp said in the press conference today that Trent will play Right Back in Singapore. Whether than means a standard RB or a hybrid RB/CM, we will see. 

I presume Mac Allister will play as an orthodox 6 for a while in at least one of the games and Gakpo will play as an 8/10 also. I'd start him there v Chelsea.  

10 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Klopp said in the press conference today that Trent will play Right Back in Singapore. Whether than means a standard RB or a hybrid RB/CM, we will see. 

I presume Mac Allister will play as an orthodox 6 for a while in at least one of the games and Gakpo will play as an 8/10 also. I'd start him there v Chelsea.  

Fair enough - just assumed as Trent had played 6 in previous games he would in this - although it makes sense for him to be at RB given we don't really have another one in squad apart from Gomez who will probably be needed at centre half anyway across the 2 games.

Kelleher

Konate Van Dijk Robertson

Trent Mac Allister 

Clark Jones

Salah Nunez Jota

with Trent in the hybrid role?

If we make 11 changes at HT it wil look something like this:

Alisson 
Gomez Matip Quansah 
McConnell Tsimikas 
Elliott Szoboszlai 
Doak Gakpo Diaz

I think we will stagger the changes throughout the 2nd half. Maybe Alisson, Szoboszlai, Gakpo and Diaz at half time.