You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Death. What happens.

Poor Scouser T

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I don’t know mate. I have my own beliefs and I would like to think there is somewhere else, it comforted him in his life toward the end. Hope I never have to see that again and see my mam heartbroken. That’s life.

Thanks appreciate your thoughts.

Wonder if the strength of our beliefs and thoughts influence the strength of our mental defense against the inevitable. Devout people may slide away with less pain than the likes of me who believe in nothing. The brain is powerful and even subconscious stuff takes over when we are done. God may exist in these moments if we believe it. 

Slightly related but the smell of my hangover shits used to be able to pass through walls and doors to the point where we christened them Patrick Swayzes. 

My mate's bog was downstairs and I'd lock the door and take a dump, and you'd hear his mum about 15 feet away in the kitchen retching, sometimes I'd sing the Everly Brothers while I was doing it.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Slightly related but the smell of my hangover shits used to be able to pass through walls and doors to the point where we christened them Patrick Swayzes. 

My mate's bog was downstairs and I'd lock the door and take a dump, and you'd hear his mum about 15 feet away in the kitchen retching, sometimes I'd sing the Everly Brothers while I was doing it.

Always wondered when out running into the wind, quite a breeze, I'd fart and smell it badly. How the fuck does that work?

13 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Thanks appreciate your thoughts.

Wonder if the strength of our beliefs and thoughts influence the strength of our mental defense against the inevitable. Devout people may slide away with less pain than the likes of me who believe in nothing. The brain is powerful and even subconscious stuff takes over when we are done. God may exist in these moments if we believe it. 

He went peacefully, they told him hours before he was very ill but he wouldn’t die. I had fall outs over the years and it has affected me more than I ever thought it would.

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He went peacefully, they told him hours before he was very ill but he wouldn’t die. I had fall outs over the years and it has affected me more than I ever thought it would.

Hope you are OK mate. It happens to us all and trying to deal with is hard. I'm lucky I suppose as it has never really hit me. Loved my old fella but a handshake on birthdays and a 'how you doing' was as close as it got to affection. We went fishing and driving but nothing remotely involving affection. If he turned up as a magpie or a crow I'd probably dig out the air rifle. And miss to his squawking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Poor Scouser T said:

When have you ever slept without being consciously aware of being asleep or dreaming?

We are talking about being gone. Totally gone, ceasing to exist in any format. Is that it?

I never remember the point I actually fall asleep. 

It will just be like that but without the waking up part.

I remember hearing a theory, well not a theory more like a piece of story telling, the kind of shit people make up as an alternative theory of what could be!  that we live every single life, every person that has ever lived you will be and once you lived and experienced every single person's existence you achieve godhood. In this story Jesus is the last life you live and you are crucified for the sins of all men, all the lives you lived. Obviously a Christian made up this story.  

Imagine that, no thanks.

1 minute ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Hope you are OK mate. It happens to us all and trying to deal with is hard. I'm lucky I suppose as it has never really hit me. Loved my old fella but a handshake on birthdays and a 'how you doing' was as close as it got to affection. We went fishing and driving but nothing remotely involving affection. If he turned up as a magpie or a crow I'd probably dig out the air rifle. And miss to his squawking.

Yeah he was not the affectionate type, we worked together a lot when I was younger and he could be hard work himself. He left my Mum well sorted financially and he loved the Grandkids beyond belief. He became very knowledgeable about antiques and coins, postcards etc, made a fortune on eBay and other per such things.

Just now, Megadrive Person said:

Just because you are dead it doesn't mean one if your old posts can't be nagged. It just means you won't be aware of it happening. 

Nagged.

5 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

Just because you are dead it doesn't mean one of your old posts can't be negged. It just means you won't be aware of it happening. 

I wonder if the dead can go back and rep their old posts? 

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I remember hearing a theory, well not a theory more like a piece of story telling, the kind of shit people make up as an alternative theory of what could be!  that we live every single life, every person that has ever lived you will be and once you lived and experienced every single person's existence you achieve godhood. In this story Jesus is the last life you live and you are crucified for the sins of all men, all the lives you lived. Obviously a Christian made up this story.  

Imagine that, no thanks.

Years ago I read some things about what they called self actualization. You reach a point of self awareness and vision that you go beyond the human. Budda and other prophets achieved this state. Meditation and other stuff beyond me is required to achieve this state but I defo think there is more to this universe than us monkeys can understand.

39 minutes ago, Megadrive Person said:

Just because you are dead it doesn't mean one of your old posts can't be negged. It just means you won't be aware of it happening. 

I think most people would refrain from negging the deceased. Seems to cross a line.

Is it just us that are thought to go in to the ‘after life’ or do all living creatures?

If they do as well, next time I see a zebra ripped to pieces by a pride of lions, at least I can take comfort that they’ll be going to somewhere, where they’ll live on, somewhere else nice, but less magical than here on planet restaurant.  

Obviously completely dubious but there are numerous studies indicating consciousness in plants. Nothing that at this stage that can be at all be verified or even considered scientific or worthy of consideration but where we where 100 years ago to today is a different world.

I am not for one second suggesting that trees have a sentient existence but they may be  part of a universal conscience which we revert to when we die. 

9 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Obviously completely dubious but there are numerous studies indicating consciousness in plants. Nothing that at this stage that can be at all be verified or even considered scientific or worthy of consideration but where we where 100 years ago to today is a different world.

I am not for one second suggesting that trees have a sentient existence but they may be  part of a universal conscience which we revert to when we die. 

25 years ago I was in hospital, this bloke was admitted into the bed opposite me on the ward. He clearly was an alcoholic as I heard him tell the doctors who attended him that he’d fallen off the wagon and had drunk a few bottles of wine that day. I understood later that his organs were failing and there wasn’t much the doctors could do for him. I wasn’t aware of this at the time as the doctors and nurses just kept coming and going from his bedside and the curtains were drawn around him all the time he was there. By the time it was  evening the ward was fairly quiet and I could hear this bloke having a conversation with someone and I just presumed it was one of the doctors or nurses that I’d not seen entering his bedside. An hour or so later a nurse came to his bedside and I could hear her trying to wake him up but unfortunately the poor bloke had passed away. I was always of a belief that this one life is all you get but from my experience that day I am adamant that the guy was talking to someone who he clearly knew before he passed away. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2