You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rebuild/Shake Up Summer 2023

Paul

On 23/02/2023 at 12:19, Scott_M said:

We need 3/4 players to come straight in the first team and maybe a couple for the squad. 

On the official website, we have 30 players listed as the first team squad. Realistically, we’re not going to cull half of those is one summer. I’d say 10 at the absolute maximum, likely less (6/8). 

Of that 30, IMO, we should be looking to lose as absolute certainties…

Adrian - will leave on a free.

Matip.

Keita - will leave on a free.

Ox - will leave on a free.

Arthur - will leave on a free.

Phillips.

Williams. 

I think we’d be lucky to get £15m for those sales. From the players leaving on free transfers, according to transfer market, that’s a saving of c.£20 per season. 

I think we should be open to letting the following leave…

Keheller - I’d prefer he stayed, I wouldn’t deny him forcing a move. 

Gomez - I dunno. He’s had a couple of great performances this season but he’s  had more stinkers. Given he’s just signed a new contract, I’d give him 23/24 to sort himself but I don’t think we should turn down a good offer this summer.

Elliott / Carvalho / Jones - All talented players, I don’t know where they fit in

our current set up. Given his fitness issues, Jones should be first to leave. 

Fabinho - I’d give him 23/24 to sort himself but I don’t think we should turn down a very good offer this summer.

Milner & Firmino - I think this depends on what Klopp wants to do. With the possibility of so much change, I don’t think keeping them around for continuity & leadership hurts. I assume they’d be on further reduced wages and Milner helps with the homegrown quota. 

I don’t know how much we’d raise from that. I don’t know where that would leave us with our home grown quota either.

Keep everybody else. 

So we’d then likely have to add a few quality players.

There looks to be a good chance we’ll sign Bellingham & Nunes. I think we need another midfielder, whether than be Kone, Caicedo, Neves, Rice, Thuram etc etc etc, I don’t know. 

Depending on who leaves, I think we need at least 1 centre back, possibly 2. Obviously Gvardiol would be #1 choice but I doubt we‘ll spend that much. We’ve been linked with that lad from

Benfica (Antonio Silva?). 

Finally, I know quite a few of us aren’t keen, including myself, if Mount was available, I could see us going for him. 

It feels like significantly more leaving our accounts than coming in. Obviously we don’t know how much we’ve banked (or not) from previous summers. I think even a conservative estimate of Bellingham (£130m), Nunes (£50m) & Silva (rumours Benfica want up to (£80m)  is looking at c.£260m.  

A complete splurge of the above 3 players, plus Caicedo / Rice (£70m?) and Mount (£50m?) is likely approaching c.£380m. 

Is this the same Scott from the transfer thread. Still hoping for 3/4 to come in to the first team and a couple for the squad?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Is this the same Scott from the transfer thread. Still hoping for 3/4 to come in to the first team and a couple for the squad?

I for one have great faith fsg will still put their money in to support the manager. The transfer window has only been open 14 days and we already have one in. If we carry on at this pace pace with around 60-odd days to go, we could bring in another 5 players, more if we sell some. 

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

So you’ve gone back and found a post from >4 months ago to try and score some points? Sad cunt. I see one of the forums chief masochists has already jumped on it, now doubt some other gimps will follow suite tomorrow, once they are let out their boxes.

In case you haven’t noticed, things change. We had a decent end to the season, a number of the above players have left and we are still looking to fill those problem positions identified earlier in the year. 

Jones has played well, Fabinho has improved, Trent has looked good in his new role & Konate has remained fit (Diaz & Jota are also back). Some areas aren’t quite as urgent now.

At the time, we were linked with Bellingham and Nunes. They aren’t happening and we’re being linked with a number of the subsequent players I quoted.

As for the figures quoted, I didn’t say we were spending that. I said that is likely what those players were going to cost, and it looks like those fees for other clubs are reasonable ball park guesstimates.

You’ve also missed this post from me stating the outlay for those players & I’m not sure how far we can address it.

On 23/02/2023 at 15:38, Scott_M said:

My concern is it’s going to be very expensive and how far we can address it next window. 

I don’t think we’ve ever had an interaction before, if we have, I’ve not found it memorable. If your going to come and take snide shots at me, I’d recommend doing some research and thinking about stuff first - there is more right than wrong in that post, so fuck off.

FWIW, I still think we need Mac Allister + 2/3 players. Something I’ve continually said the transfer forum. If your so fond of bumping old posts / threads, maybe go through some of the old transfer posts and see.

8 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hahaha. Fuck me. Some cracking justification and back tracking going on there. Very funny though. 

7 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Touchy.

16 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Comedy gold

Given Barry allows the gimps out their box, he should change his username to Zed. The gimps have obviously been awoken and unboxed early this morning. 

I could fully respond but what’s the point. I’ve said all I need to say last night. My points are clear. Actually think about what I’ve said, the changes in the teams performance in the last months of the season, the club’s position on certain players, how I’ve already queried the cost of all that and, IMO, there is nothing wrong with what I’ve said. The headline is still the same 3/4 players. 

Or don’t read and think about it. I know you all struggle with that, I don’t want to cause you to have an aneurysm.

Whatever I say the masochists will twist it to “We’re so shit, we’re doomed, I told you so…….URGHHH, I’ve just cum”. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given Barry allows the gimps out their box, he should change his username to Zed. The gimps have obviously been awoken and unboxed early this morning. 

I could fully respond but what’s the point. I’ve said all I need to say last night. My points are clear. Actually think about what I’ve said, the changes in the teams performance in the last months of the season, the club’s position on certain players, how I’ve already queried the cost of all that and, IMO, there is nothing wrong with what I’ve said. The headline is still the same 3/4 players. 

Or don’t read and think about it. I know you all struggle with that, I don’t want to cause you to have an aneurysm.

Whatever I say the masochists will twist it to “We’re so shit, we’re doomed, I told you so…….URGHHH, I’ve just cum”. 

Nothing has changed in your opinion. You really are too funny. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nothing has changed in your opinion. You really are too funny. 

Apart from that isn’t what I’ve said.

February - we need 3/4 players. 

June - we need Mac Allister + 2/3 players. 

Some of the working might be different because things changed in the last 11 games of the season, the headline remains the same. 

The players we were linked with at the time, those are / were the fees quoted. Can I help it we pulled out of Bellingham? Or we now seemingly not bothered by Nunes? I can’t help the club changing their mind. 

I also commented about the cost and how much we could do this summer, which was conveniently brushed over. 

If you want to challenge certain points in an adult manner, I’m happy to discuss them further. If not, kindly keep your gratification from urethral sounding to yourself. 

Or should I go and drag up posts from you after the VVD injury saying we should spend £50m on James Tarkowski? I’m sure they still exist. 

Honestly we weren't that good in the last 11 games, we were miles better than what we were in terms of grinding out results but performances weren't great and managers with half a brain and poor sides still exposed the absolutely giant spaces we leave at the back. I only mean this relative to what Liverpool have been under Klopp, there's no players in the last run in that I think great performances. Gakpo was a bright spark, Jones stood up and stayed fit he was a positive but still I wouldn't want him in my first 11 if I expect us to challenge. Very few could complain if they were replaced.

A new season a new start players can earn the right again. Some have said we really don't need as much work as last season suggests personally I think we do because Arsenal and Newcastle are just going to go all out to keep improving, us standing still or making micro adjustments will see us go backwards. My biggest concern is do we have any fucking clue in how we want to play anymore. Pre season is going to be massive.

• Upvote 1

The two tests we had in midfield last 10/11 games we blew it, the 2nd half against Arsenal we were good but they destroyed us first half hour and should have been 3 up, Villa over ran us in midfield, Jacob Ramsey took the piss.

The form table looks all great but reality is we dragged over the line in a quite a few games…

Same issue that’s been an issue all season no legs in midfield, we need more than Mac allister 

to rectify that problem….

No doubt we’ll continue to be linked with a new player every few days, it’s fucking tiring.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Apart from that isn’t what I’ve said.

February - we need 3/4 players. 

June - we need Mac Allister + 2/3 players. 

Some of the working might be different because things changed in the last 11 games of the season, the headline remains the same. 

The players we were linked with at the time, those are / were the fees quoted. Can I help it we pulled out of Bellingham? Or we now seemingly not bothered by Nunes? I can’t help the club changing their mind. 

I also commented about the cost and how much we could do this summer, which was conveniently brushed over. 

If you want to challenge certain points in an adult manner, I’m happy to discuss them further. If not, kindly keep your gratification from urethral sounding to yourself. 

Or should I go and drag up posts from you after the VVD injury saying we should spend £50m on James Tarkowski? I’m sure they still exist. 

There's no point discussing with you. You were buying in to the bullshit from the pack journalists and thought 200m+ was likely. And now you'll take any 3/4 players. 

As for things changing in the last 11 games - well I would argue all that means is you're changeable and your view is too easily influenced by recency bias. Finishing the season well was better than finishing it shit. But it doesn't at all alter what we need to do. 

It's comical. 

And as for tarkovski, I'd have paid for him back when we had no centre backs. In an absolute heartbeat. It wasn't 50m either, he had a 30m release clause. We might have still won the league in 21 had we had him on our books on the 1st January. But then I want to see us win and I don't care too much about FSGs return on investment. 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Honestly we weren't that good in the last 11 games, we were miles better than what we were in terms of grinding out results but performances weren't great and managers with half a brain and poor sides still exposed the absolutely giant spaces we leave at the back. I only mean this relative to what Liverpool have been under Klopp, there's no players in the last run in that I think great performances. Gakpo was a bright spark, Jones stood up and stayed fit he was a positive but still I wouldn't want him in my first 11 if I expect us to challenge. Very few could complain if they were replaced.

A new season a new start players can earn the right again. Some have said we really don't need as much work as last season suggests personally I think we do because Arsenal and Newcastle are just going to go all out to keep improving, us standing still or making micro adjustments will see us go backwards. My biggest concern is do we have any fucking clue in how we want to play anymore. Pre season is going to be massive.

We only played one decent team with an effective attack and lost a 3-0 lead. Brentford had most of the ball and villa had most of the better chances. Even Fulham held their own against us.

A lot of those games could have gone either way.

20 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We only played one decent team with an effective attack and lost a 3-0 lead. Brentford had most of the ball and villa had most of the better chances. Even Fulham held their own against us.

A lot of those games could have gone either way.

While that's true, they were going against us earlier in the season. I have no doubt there was a change of attitude amongst the players and they started to show some grit and determination not to lose, instead of just giving up every time we lost the ball. We lost badly to wolves & Brighton before that run, had a terrible lose at Bournemouth, lost to Leeds and forest before the WC. We put those performances to bed. It was nowhere near the levels we've seen under klopp, but it was an encouraging improvement. But that's just the start of the job. 4 new good players to that and we have a side again sadly, I don't think we'll do it and we're shooting for 4th or 5th. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There's no point discussing with you. You were buying in to the bullshit from the pack journalists and thought 200m+ was likely. And now you'll take any 3/4 players. 

As for things changing in the last 11 games - well I would argue all that means is you're changeable and your view is too easily influenced by recency bias. Finishing the season well was better than finishing it shit. But it doesn't at all alter what we need to do. 

It's comical. 

And as for tarkovski, I'd have paid for him back when we had no centre backs. In an absolute heartbeat. It wasn't 50m either, he had a 30m release clause. We might have still won the league in 21 had we had him on our books on the 1st January. But then I want to see us win and I don't care too much about FSGs return on investment. 

That isn’t what I said.

I clearly said, which has been conveniently brushed over again, I have reservations on on how much could be addressed this summer. I fully realise >£260m is likely unachievable, hence pointing out what we can do in one window. 

I’ve never said I’d take any 3/4 players. Mac Allister is a good start. I’ve stated I’ve no opinion on Thuram, Kone, Veiga etc as I’ve never seen them play. I’ve raised concerns on Gravenberch & Barella.

I don’t know who we’re actually looking at and neither do you. 

This is a ridiculous paragraph…

well I would argue all that means is you're changeable and your view is too easily influenced by recency bias. Finishing the season well was better than finishing it shit.”

11 games is 29% of the season. It’s not a small sample size. There were other glimmers of light after the World Cup. I fully appreciate performances weren’t their best, results were better. Last time I checked, football was a results driven business. 

There were improvements in the last 29% of the season. I’ve previously referenced them - Fabinho, Trent, Jones, VVD.

If we’re ignoring player improvements, we’re literally keeping keeping about 3 players from last season. If we were binning the worst players from last season, Trent would be close to being first out the door, now we all agree he’s fundamental to how we play going forwards. 

Disagree if you want. I’m so tired of you and your masochistic group of gimps just running amok through the forum like locusts just destroying every thread. 

Ultimately we all agree changes need to be made, some of us aren’t just throwing toys out of their prams and crying like absolute toddlers at every opportunity.

If you would still have spent £30m/£50m on Tarkowski, that just shows people aren’t prepared to have their opinion changed, regardless of the evidence in front of them. A player totally unsuited to how we play, absolutely not good enough for us. Everton overpaid for him. 

27 minutes ago, Grinch said:

He does it every summer.

Luckily results and performances have mostly vindicated my opinions…

I did say we should have gone for a midfielder last summer but given our performances / results at the end 21/22, I could see why we didn’t done it. 

I was incorrect. So was Klopp. 

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

11 games is 29% of the season. It’s not a small sample size. There were other glimmers of light after the World Cup. I fully appreciate performances weren’t their best, results were better. Last time I checked, football was a results driven business. 

There were improvements in the last 29% of the season. I’ve previously referenced them - Fabinho, Trent, Jones, VVD.

If we’re ignoring player improvements, we’re literally keeping keeping about 3 players from last season. If we were binning the worst players from last season, Trent would be close to being first out the door, now we all agree he’s fundamental to how we play going forwards. 

Disagree if you want. I’m so tired of you and your masochistic group of gimps just running amok through the forum like locusts just destroying every thread. 

Ultimately we all agree changes need to be made, some of us aren’t just throwing toys out of their prams and crying like absolute toddlers at every opportunity.

If you would still have spent £30m/£50m on Tarkowski, that just shows people aren’t prepared to have their opinion changed, regardless of the evidence in front of them. A player totally unsuited to how we play, absolutely not good enough for us. Everton overpaid for him. 

I assume you didn't include the other three tournaments we played in to calculate this 29% number and only referenced league games.