You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

15 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Said it before but the way Caicedo can also drop in and cover right back would dovetail perfectly with Trent and this retarded fullback system Kloppo seems intent on employing. That in itself provides extra value.

Shame Caicedo seems like a massive dickhead though.

If he turned out to be boss he'd probably be agitating for a move to Real Madrid in 2 years...but that is OK, we would have been inproved for 2 years and we'd get a massive fee for him to go and kick on again with.

• Upvote 1

On 08/08/2023 at 00:11, 3 Stacks said:

That's just not how transfers work, or how competent teams do transfers, which is why Carra is coming across as a bit of a dolt. You don't just "make a play" out of the blue or because you need to all of a sudden. If we weren't interested in Caicedo for a long time, and it doesn't seem like we ever were, at least publicly, which is all we can go by, we simply aren't going to start now.

I know you have sort of acknowledged this with the $20 thing, but if we are as reported interested do you see this as a case of the accepted logic you were using was maybe wrong or is it a case of we are entering changing times and that accepted logic is becoming redundant....?

14 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

€115M offer from the Reds for Moisés Caicedo. He would become the most expensive signing in Liverpool history.

The Ecuadorian is in London and the most recent reports indicate that he has changed his position and will accept Liverpool's proposal. Yours faithfully, John Henry 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

I know you have sort of acknowledged this with the $20 thing, but if we are as reported interested do you see this as a case of the accepted logic you were using was maybe wrong or is it a case of we are entering changing times and that accepted logic is becoming redundant....?

It's the Fabinho sale and the position we are in after it. We're desperate. We may have felt there's a shot to take because Brighton may be sick of Chelsea and we have good relations with them.

It's probably entirely reactive and planless, which when that's the case, anything is possible. I mean, there's someone on this forum who says he has always had an agreement with Chelsea, so again, this feels like desperation, but you were right, we're taking a "shot". Which usually you never want to do that, you want to be prepared, but that's the situation we're in and maybe I should have considered that.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's the Fabinho sale and the position we are in after it. We're desperate. We may have felt there's a shot to take because Brighton may be sick of Chelsea and we have good relations with them.

It's probably entirely reactive and planless, which when that's the case, anything is possible. I mean, there's someone on this forum who says he has always had an agreement with Chelsea, so again, this feels like desperation, but you were right, we're taking a "shot". Which usually you never want to do that, you want to be prepared, but that's the situation we're in and maybe I should have considered that.

Henderson never liked "taking a shot" but I suppose that's the universe in which we're now living.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Chelsea have just paid Brighton £25 million for their backup keeper and gave them £65 million for Cucurella last summer.

The one thing I don't get about this is Chelsea are happy to thrown tens of millions at 15 year old youth players but won't pay an extra 10 million for a player they really want.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fair do's.

I just don't see it all as being generally as highly planned and rigid as maybe you do (not saying i am right/you are wrong) - Just feel that the whole thing has changed and has become more chaotic as a result.

The disruptor of Fabinho going unexpectedly is deffo a part of it - and yeah coming as and when it did it was likely to mean we became reactive - but as i say i just feel the whole transfers/recruitment thing is changing and is changing to a more chaotic/unpredictable model and clubs behaviour in both selling and buying is becoming increasingly shall we say 'creative'.....

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

PL update 2023:

The clubs who finished 5th and 12th are fighting for a £100m signing from the club that finished 6th.

Lets not forget this only came in to existence after the 12th placed team tried to gazump the 5th placed team for a 50m valued 19 year old with 29 first team PL games under his belt.

Modern footballs great innit.

37 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If it does happen it's a shame it'll be to late to get the paperwork done for the weekend as it would have been hilarious if he came on late to score the winner. 

I think if the paperwork is done and dusted by 3pm and sent to PL HQ then he’s free to play.

But a deal this big won’t be done in 14 hours. Well, unlikely anyway.

The only way this makes sense to me is that there's been rumours that we were looking at signing 2 or 3 players so perhaps we've decided to put all our eggs in one basket and go all out for Caicedo. 

I still think we are way too short defensively but if we do get Caicedo, then it's an incredible midfield overhaul this summer. 

3 hours ago, an tha said:

It does not work like that does it....

He is of little to no use to us because he can't stay fit.

So if we get 10m or so for him and save 10m on his wages and then use that money towards paying the fees and wages of other younger, fitter, able to contribute players we make ourselves better.

As i said earlier....if someone offered me

Thiago

Keita

Oxlade

Milner

Henderson

Fabinho

Or

Mac Allister

Szobo

Lavia

Caciedo

I'd take the second choice all day long - If Thiago eating up 200k a week is a barrier to paying Caciedo the 150k he would want for example then IMHO you just sell and get it done.

Different opinions of course.

As it happens i think he'll stay as it is too late, but I expect next to nothing from him and when he limps away in 12 months time for nothing after adding next to nothing for another 12 months - well so be it.

Everyone knows I am not in the thiago fan club anyway. But the only way we should entertain a bid for him is to tell the Saudi's to fuck off and wait till our window is closed. Let us go and get our business done and then they can come in for him. Their window closes weeks after ours. 

As for this caicedo stuff..I am not sure I quite believe it. Its feeling a bit dudek and kirkland at the moment.