You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

His father is Irish, no? 

My two sons are Irish. If either told me they wanted to play for England, I'd disown them. Or kill myself. 

Yes, I believe my grandfather's dad was Irish.

I'll be honest, I am not an expert on Declan Rice's lineage, I spent about 4 seconds googling and the result just mentioned paternal grandparents being Irish.

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Yes, I believe my grandfather's dad was Irish.

I'll be honest, I am not an expert on Declan Rice's lineage, I spent about 4 seconds googling and the result just mentioned paternal grandparents being Irish.

British scum. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Get that lad in from Bristol City. I'm not paying £60m for that Hungarian lad. Nobody would have bid £60m for him last week, and now it's being painted as some sort of 'bargain' due to the release clause.  Laugh it off. 

The way the English tax is going that lad from Bristol City probably won't cost that much less.

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nice twisting of the argument there. Good stuff.

Why is it twisting? They pretty much play the same position. So if you're in charge at arsenal and want someone to play 6, where are you putting your money? 

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

Don’t be daft mate he’s a failed centre half playing for a relegation threatened side.

Haha. Yeah, we can say it that way..or we can wonder how they spunk nest part of 200m in a day while we're scratching round looking in the Aldi discount isle! 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not saying I dislike Rice as a player. I do like him.

For that money, I’d be expecting a generational talent, which he isn’t. 

He’s a very good player. Would he be going for anything like £105m if he wasn’t homegrown or coming from abroad? I don’t think it’d be anything close. 

But this is where football is. As I said earlier, we have people on here who think Lavia at 50m is good value. If that's the case, he's a comfortable 100m player. We can cry andoan about how expensive buying players are, but this is what people are paying and not just oil clubs.  

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Disagree...a rock solid RB with bags of experience at a top side who can play right sided centre half too. Could be the ideal player to help facilitate a full time midfield role for TAA or be handy for us playing how we did at end of season 

Isn't the reason he wants out is he doesn't want to play RB? 

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

In addition to Rice and Grealish, Harry Maguire, Harry Kane, Conor Gallagher, Callum Wilson and James Maddison were also eligible for the Republic of Ireland.

Think I read at the world cup 13 of the England squad could have played for Ireland. I suppose not too surprising - the best players are generally working class and traditionally the Irish lived in the poorest areas and had big families.

Not condoning what Rice did. He shouldn't have taken full caps if he wasn't committed to playing for Ireland. Having said that, Ireland has been mediocre for 20 odd years with pretty much no good players, so it's not like the past when they had really good players. I'm no fan of England, but from a purely logical mindset, he made the right decision.

Very good signing for Arsenal, the fucking cunts.

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Which is not unreasonable. At least they're giving him a chance. 

They have wasted some money over last few years - but to their credit seem to have really cleaned up their act when it comes to transfers over last year or so - they have built a very good team who have a great age profile and they are now adding big money quality signings to it. You can't knock the intent.

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

They have wasted some money over last few years - but to their credit seem to have really cleaned up their act when it comes to transfers over last year or so - they have built a very good team who have a great age profile and they are now adding big money quality signings to it. You can't knock the intent.

You can't. And without CL football for years, it's astonishing how easily they can invest while we're seemingly in no rush to get the squad ready for klopp next week. 

They'll be adding Timber as well shortly for another £40m+ so that'll take their summer outlay to £200m

Don't really get the Havertz buy but certainly improves their attacking squad options.  They'll be challenging again next season IMO

I see UEFA have acted and closed the Chelsea loophole of speading out payments over long contract deals.  Their new signing also got a 8 year contract this week.

2 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

They'll be adding Timber as well shortly for another £40m+ so that'll take their summer outlay to £200m

Don't really get the Havertz buy but certainly improves their attacking squad options.  They'll be challenging again next season IMO

I see UEFA have acted and closed the Chelsea loophole of speading out payments over long contract deals.  Their new signing also got a 8 year contract this week.

Yeah, closed after id hazard theyve done a fair whack of their incoming business already, once again Chelsea get to bend the rules without any come back.

6 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

I'm not too arsed about their 8 year deals to ease amortisation. Well unless Saudi bail them out with everyone who fails. Most of the players they've signed have shown fuck all so far. Long may it continue and they're stuck with the players. And if Saudi do bail them out, well they'll find another way to help even if the loophole is closed. 

6 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

Yeah, closed after id hazard theyve done a fair whack of their incoming business already, once again Chelsea get to bend the rules without any come back.

Also helped by the government and no repecussions for their ownership by a Putin supporter that they also greatly benefitted from.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not too arsed about their 8 year deals to ease amortisation. Well unless Saudi bail them out with everyone who fails. Most of the players thetve signed have shown fuck all so far. Long may it continue and they're stuck with the players. And is Saudi do bail them out, well they'll find another way to help even if the loophole is closed. 

It is allowing them to get the players in and squad together at a much faster rate.  They'll be much better next season with Pochettino in as head coach and being able to mould a cohesive unit.

Saudi's are already helping them offload their dead wood, recouping decent fees and getting rid of players on big wages that most clubs in Europe couldn't afford.  They'll no doubt have 20 players go out on loan next season but they won't have big earners the likes of Koulibaly/Mendy/Ziech/Aubameyang doing a Winston Bogarde

1 minute ago, George Costanza said:

It is allowing them to get the players in and squad together at a much faster rate.  They'll be much better next season with Pochettino in as head coach and being able to mould a cohesive unit.

Saudi's are already helping them offload their dead wood, recouping decent fees and getting rid of players on big wages that most clubs in Europe couldn't afford.  They'll no doubt have 20 players go out on loan next season but they won't have big earners the likes of Koulibaly/Mendy/Ziech/Aubameyang doing a Winston Bogarde

I think as a business choice it's fine if they accelerate investment by doing this while the rules allow. It's something we could all do, but need to take the risk that comes with it. I agree so far it's not looking good with regards the Saudi involvement, but do you really think if the Saudis want to back Chelsea, they wouldn't find another way to do it if the 5 year amortisation rule was implemented?

Sadly the horse has bolted with regards managing state funded sportswashing and if Saudi are in Chelsea's camp, well it's done already, they'll just have another cheat code. 

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You can't. And without CL football for years, it's astonishing how easily they can invest while we're seemingly in no rush to get the squad ready for klopp next week. 

They’re just a big club spending as a big club should. We’re a massive anomaly in that department - for all of  FSG’s gaslighting, it’s not normal for a club of our size to only be able to dream of a net spend on par with West Ham or Aston Villa, let alone Arsenal.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

No european footy either so he has all week to get his new ideas across/work on really bedding them and new players in properly.

The bastards will be much better next season sadly.