You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can We Just Stop and Think About This for a Moment?

Jurgen Knows

9 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Not really. I consider Qataris as brothers. I live in the UAE but I’m Lebanese. Our borders were created by colonizers from the UK and France (search for Sykes-Picot) to divide and conquer. In essence we are one Arab nation.

What's the Lebanese pizza like in Dubai?  It's cheap and tasty here.  I love Lebanese pizza.  Also Lebanese sweets.  Top notch. 

6 hours ago, dave u said:

I appreciate you fighting your corner and I daresay some of the points raised are valid. It's good to hear from 'the other side' (for want of a better expression) so I hope you continue posting.

Thank you Dave. I will keep posting for sure, especially during the World Cup. I have taken my annual leave from work this month and have a lot of free time. 

6 hours ago, dave u said:

Suggesting only three people died definitely loses credibility though,

and not gonna lie, being told all the work I put in isn't worth £3 a month did sting. I mean, two match reports a week, having to watch MOTD even when we've lost and then write about all the other games, as well as keeping a weekly diary, and its not worth the price of less than a pint? Ouch.

The reported death figures on both end of the spectrum  (3 to 6,500) come from the media on both ends of the spectrum. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The ILO (International Labor Organization) has published a lot of information about this on its website so I urge everyone to have a look there. For me even one death is too many, but the point remains that it seems human rights only seem to matter in select countries. The hosts of the next World Cup have a big catalogue of human rights violations. Where is the campaign against them? At least in that case there is still 4 more years to try and change things.

The work you put in on this site is definitely valued Dave. I remember the old days when I was still at university I used to spend hours here every day. Your posts specifically were very insightful and shaped my understanding of the club and its culture. I remember your interviews with Carra, the legendary Tom Ross, and the not-so-legendary Rasheed. I still wonder who would win a fight between a bear and a monkey with a knife lol. There was no paid content in those days, but if there had been I would have surely subscribed …. I am no longer a university student though. I have a day job, 3 kids and a wife to take care of which takes almost all of my time. I still find a few minutes almost every day to have a peek at the football forum though. For me that was not enough to go for the paid content, especially that I don’t post I just read. You have seen how I was being accused of being an attention seeker, so imagine how the reaction would have been if I had written all of the above in response to the question about why I never subscribed.

Your work definitely deserves a lot more than the fee you charge. I will happily renew this subscription every year. That is the least I can do in return for all the great insights TLW has given me about the culture of this great club throughout the years. Respect.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Thank you Dave. I will keep posting for sure, especially during the World Cup. I have taken my annual leave from work this month and have a lot of free time. 

The reported death figures on both end of the spectrum  (3 to 6,500) come from the media on both ends of the spectrum. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The ILO (International Labor Organization) has published a lot of information about this on its website so I urge everyone to have a look there. For me even one death is too many, but the point remains that it seems human rights only seem to matter in select countries. The hosts of the next World Cup have a big catalogue of human rights violations. Where is the campaign against them? At least in that case there is still 4 more years to try and change things.

The work you put in on this site is definitely valued Dave. I remember the old days when I was still at university I used to spend hours here every day. Your posts specifically were very insightful and shaped my understanding of the club and its culture. I remember your interviews with Carra, the legendary Tom Ross, and the not-so-legendary Rasheed. I still wonder who would win a fight between a bear and a monkey with a knife lol. There was no paid content in those days, but if there had been I would have surely subscribed …. I am no longer a university student though. I have a day job, 3 kids and a wife to take care of which takes almost all of my time. I still find a few minutes almost every day to have a peek at the football forum though. For me that was not enough to go for the paid content, especially that I don’t post I just read. You have seen how I was being accused of being an attention seeker, so imagine how the reaction would have been if I had written all of the above in response to the question about why I never subscribed.

Your work definitely deserves a lot more than the fee you charge. I will happily renew this subscription every year. That is the least I can do in return for all the great insights TLW has given me about the culture of this great club throughout the years. Respect.

I dont disagree at all about the human rights violations committed by the USA but we are talking about FIFA here who have staged who would have staged the 1942 world cup in Berlin if permitted!

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont disagree at all about the human rights violations committed by the USA but we are talking about FIFA here who have staged who would have staged the 1942 world cup in Berlin if permitted!

They staged a friendly in the middle of world war 1 the evil money grabbing cunts 

Have I missed something here?

He keeps going on about Russia and America like they don’t get slagged off. Russia get savaged daily and has for years bar a few of their cheerleaders and America is regularly slated. In fact, it was just two days ago I called the entire country a shithole full of gun obsessed meth heads.

Nobody felt the need to start whinging about it. The lady don’t protest too much, methinks.

3 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

He keeps going on about Russia and America like they don’t get slagged off. Russia get savaged daily and has for years bar a few of their cheerleaders and America is regularly slated. In fact, it was just two days ago I called the entire country a shithole full of gun obsessed meth heads.

Nobody felt the need to start whinging about it. The lady don’t protest too much, methinks.

A lady posting on the internet in the Middle East? Perish the thought!

5 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

South Africa nearly got invaded by about 40 different nations over them Vuvuzelas. The only positive from that world cup is that the noise of them probably kept alien invasion at bay for another 50 years. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

FIFA are the ones organizing the next World Cup in the USA no? Why is it ok for FIFA to stage the World Cup in a country that has killed millions in Iraq? Where do we draw the line?

50 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

But it was still ok to stage the World Cup there. 

11 hours ago, dave u said:

I appreciate you fighting your corner and I daresay some of the points raised are valid. It's good to hear from 'the other side' (for want of a better expression) so I hope you continue posting.

Suggesting only three people died definitely loses credibility though, and not gonna lie, being told all the work I put in isn't worth £3 a month did sting. I mean, two match reports a week, having to watch MOTD even when we've lost and then write about all the other games, as well as keeping a weekly diary, and its not worth the price of less than a pint? Ouch.

Stop whinging and fix the tags, you lazy bastard. 

53 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

FIFA are the ones organizing the next World Cup in the USA no? Why is it ok for FIFA to stage the World Cup in a country that has killed millions in Iraq? Where do we draw the line?

Do you detest the American regime? I do too, so welcome on board.