You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can We Just Stop and Think About This for a Moment?

Jurgen Knows

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

John Oliver did a piece on FIFA corruption and the shitness of this World Cup this week. Worth watching, as always.

FIFA is corrupt. All governments are full of corruption. John Oliver’s government is corrupt. But the World Cup is the greatest show on Earth. Ta!

34 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Good for you that you feel free to do anything you like. I was trying to engage you not to lecture you.

I did respond to many of the posters that responded at the beginning and we exchanged a healthy debate. Until the witch hunters came and started the personal slurs … if you cannot see that I can’t help you. The thread is there for all to see. I’m not going to start a debate with you about the principles of proper debate.

I made my points clear about my views on the World Cup cultural bigotry campaign. I have also posted a video that fully represents my thoughts. If you do not agree with my views fair enough no issues at all. There’s no point repeating the same arguments over and over again. I think the thread already has the perspectives of both sides of the debate. People can read it and make their own judgements.

None of that has anything to do with me. I was making the point that you should tackle the bigotry in the thread you think it occurred in. You know, actual examples, then it could be dealt with or refuted. You chose to deal with it a different way. That’s up to you, but I think you’re an attention seeker and I suspect you’re bigoted. 

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

None of that has anything to do with me. I was maki my the point that you should tackle the bigotry in the thread you think it occurred in. You know, actual examples, then it could be dealt with or refuted. You chose to deal with it a different way. That’s up to you, but I think you’re an attention seeker and I suspect you’re bigoted. 

Ok thank you for your opinion. The thread is there for all to see. I’m an attention seeker who has been reading this forum for more than 10 years and never felt the need to register or comment except when I felt my culture was unfairly being targeted. Whatever floats your boat mate.

1 minute ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Ok thank you for your opinion. The thread is there for all to see. I’m an attention seeker who has been reading this forum for more than 10 years and never felt the need to register or comment except when I felt my culture was unfairly being targeted. Whatever floats your boat mate.

It is here for all to see, you're absolutely right. Do you somehow think this is going well for you? And if you think for a second anybody believes this is your first account, well, something something bridge for sale. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It is here for all to see, you're absolutely right. Do you somehow think this is going well for you? And if you think for a second anybody believes this is your first account, well, something something bridge for sale. 

More skepticism and assumptions. I had to prove my location, origins, IP address and now I have to prove I’m not an attention seeker. Actually I have nothing to prove. I’ll tell you what. I wish you were right and I was wrong. Since 1995 I have been supporting the Reds because I thought their fans were stereotyped and mocked and discriminated against. This forum was key in my understanding of club culture. I identified with this culture. The reaction to the World Cup on this forum has given me a sobering awakening. Anyway … I’m just an attention seeker no problem mate.

Why is that? Were people not clear about how they felt about oil money in the game before the world cup?

What's happened to make it feel like "bigotry" against the people in the middle east and not distaste for the organisers and authorities? 

And where is the camel stuff coming from? Would be right out of order if people have been saying that.

23 minutes ago, Jurgen Knows said:

I had to prove my location, origins, IP address

Not to me. I don't care where you're from, what your origins are, or what your IP address is. I didn't call you names. I'm not interested in you in anyway whatsoever. I just wanted you to respond to bigotry so it could be dealt with rather than banging on about cars, your wife's job, or how long you've been a red. You continually diverting to tales of woe about where you're from or your IP address have nothing to do with me, I'm not bothered one way or the other, they just come across as the actions of somebody who isn't actually interested in refuting bigotry but somebody who wants attention. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Why is that? Were people not clear about how they felt about oil money in the game before the world cup?

I’m also against oil money in the game. My 6 years old son tells his Man City supporting mates here that they support Money bags not football.

What's happened to make it feel like "bigotry" against the people in the middle east and not distaste for the organisers and authorities? 

The double standards. Please watch the video I posted earlier. 

The moral lecturing.

The mockery towards how the local people who carried English flags in support of the English team did not look English enough.

The view that the Arab world has no football heritage and therefore the World Cup should have never been played there.

The wrong assumptions about women.

The overall mockery and derision. Just read the World Cup thread and compare that to the 2018 World Cup thread.

And where is the camel stuff coming from? Would be right out of order if people have been saying that.

I’m not offended by it. I’m proud of this heritage. If any of you ever comes to the Middle East I would happily welcome and host you. I have seen it used as a derogatory term before though, but to be fair not sure if that was here on TLW or elsewhere. I’m proud to be called camel rider though so no issue with that.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Not to me. I don't care where you're from, what your origins are, or what your IP address is. I didn't call you names. I'm not interested in you in anyway whatsoever. I just wanted you to respond to bigotry so it could be dealt with rather than banging on about cars, your wife's job, or how long you've been a red. You continually diverting to tales of woe about where you're from or your IP address have nothing to do with me, I'm not bothered one way or the other, they just come across as the actions of somebody who isn't actually interested in refuting bigotry but somebody who wants attention. 

I believe I have already addressed this. It’s not about you. Correct. Nothing I said was specific to you. Correct. I did respond to bigotry. I can’t help you if you can’t see my views on it. Thank you.

Just now, Jurgen Knows said:

I believe I have already addressed this. It’s not about you. Correct. Nothing I said was specific to you. Correct. Thank you.

It's just that you say it in every reply TO me. And you haven't really addressed my core point, that you're not addressing bigotry but seeking attention. Alas, I fear the message has fallen on deaf ears. Enjoy your five minutes of relevance. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's just that you say it in every reply TO me. And you haven't really addressed my core point, that you're not addressing bigotry but seeking attention. Alas, I fear the message has fallen on deaf ears. Enjoy your five minutes of relevance. 

Sorry I couldn’t help you further. Have a nice day.

7 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Dubai and Qatar are two very different kettles of fish, no?

Why lump all the Arabs together?

Not really. I consider Qataris as brothers. I live in the UAE but I’m Lebanese. Our borders were created by colonizers from the UK and France (search for Sykes-Picot) to divide and conquer. In essence we are one Arab nation.

• Upvote 2