You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ajax (H) - CL, Tue 13th Sep 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Elliott is doing pretty much everything you would hope with the ball in the attacking half but there's something missing with his presence that is hard to put your finger on. Probably some off the ball stuff and he's not secure enough in his own third. It's not his fault that he has to be such a mainstay, there's no other option on the right. We're also using him in this Trent coming inside tactical experiment which isn't bearing much fruit. We're not doing him many favours, basically. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

The smoke being blown up Elliot’s arse is crazy. He’s really not up to it yet. Cannot fathom why he’s playing every game.

The problem is it's Klopp blowing the smoke. 

I don't see how it's helping him develop. It's like he's been told to keep it safe, against his natural instincts.  If he can't make mistakes when he's young then when can he? 

If this was Dragons Den I wouldn't be investing. 

18 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don't see how it's helping him develop. It's like he's been told to keep it safe, against his natural instincts.  If he can't make mistakes when he's young then when can he? 

Elliot has been our most consistent player all season so far. Along with Diaz. 

I wouldn't have him in our best 11 when all are fully fit but fucking hell the lad is talented, his work-rate is superb and he gives a shit. 

All that "In Jurgen We Trust" only matters when it's cosy eh 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Mate, you do know that you need to take your shoes and socks off before getting in the bath, don’t you?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think Harvey will be a smashing player for us, but at the moment he looks good on the ball but spends a lot of the time off the ball chasing around ineffectively while opponents just play the ball around him. 

that's like Henderson.  Except the good on the ball bit.  So in that sense, he's a step up.

Henderson, Thiago, Jones, Ox and Keita (surprise, surprise) all injured so far this season, most still not available. 

It was really only Elliott or Bajectic if we were to field a team that didn't have Firmino or Nat Phillips or Jon Achterberg in midfield. 

I think he's done really well. Almost singlehandedly kept us afloat in that  win over Newcastle. There's a lot of focus on the defensive frailties in his game, but that was never his role anyway. He's clearly a more attacking player than our regular midfielders, doing a job because he has to. 

Harvey takes too many touches and doesn't hit his passes precisely or aggressively enough. Henderson is a much better passer of the ball than he is.

I know Klopp has said it would never happen, but I'd try Trent as that right-sided 8 for a bit, if Gomez or even Tsimikas could play right-back effectively. He has started to go wherever he likes in attack anyway, he was playing centrally between the lines of Ajax's defenders and midfield for most of that second half, leaving us wide open down our right flank. Trent's actually not that bad in a one-on-one defensive duel, it's his positioning and his recovery that let him down, so maybe as a midfielder he could do more of the former and have someone behind him to mop up.

This is just bollocks anyway seeing as Klopp's already said he won't do it I guess.

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Henderson, Thiago, Jones, Ox and Keita (surprise, surprise) all injured so far this season, most still not available. 

It was really only Elliott or Bajectic if we were to field a team that didn't have Firmino or Nat Phillips or Jon Achterberg in midfield. 

I think he's done really well. Almost singlehandedly kept us afloat in that  win over Newcastle. There's a lot of focus on the defensive frailties in his game, but that was never his role anyway. He's clearly a more attacking player than our regular midfielders, doing a job because he has to. 

What about that Arthur fella get him fit see what he offers because at present the Elliot/Trent combo on that side means any team with a quick winger gets in behind no problem

Elliott's only problem is he's got little legs and he's expected to hare about in midfield to mitigate the porous defence and blunt attack. 

He's the kind of player you'd hope to blood while there's a solid structure around him, not one barely functioning. Foden or Gavi would be chasing the same shadows as Elliott in this side.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bizzle10 said:

What about that Arthur fella get him fit see what he offers because at present the Elliot/Trent combo on that side means any team with a quick winger gets in behind no problem

We'll find out after the international break, I guess. He'll have had a month training with us by then.