You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liz fucking Truss then.....

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'd still say johnson has been the worst pm the country has ever seen..he was an absolute utter disaster and the fact that the media,particularly the BBC have never fully called him out,is a disgrace

Truss is just going to be an unmitigated catastrophe but she is up against the clock now.

I just passionately hope they don't get it again

Agreed he's been terrible, but at least there's been some vague pork barrel stuff along the way. The ice chewing psychopaths coming in actively want you to get poorer (outside of the wealthiest echelons), because they think it makes people work harder and results in the country being 'more competitive'.

• Upvote 1

@Moctezuma

Shoot, I was hoping it wasn't that. Ongoing debate (read hope) going on for decades on that and unfortunately does not seem to hold true.

In fact you can see reality just a few posts (your new PM) back about what happens over the course of 20 or 30 years to the vast majority. Very few become more liberal, or even just stay the same.

Unfortunately I think it has been proven a political fallacy that old folks dying changes anything - they are replaced, they don't disappear.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Moctezuma

Shoot, I was hoping it wasn't that. Ongoing debate (read hope) going on for decades on that and unfortunately does not seem to hold true.

In fact you can see reality just a few posts (your new PM) back about what happens over the course of 20 or 30 years to the vast majority. Very few become more liberal, or even just stay the same.

Unfortunately I think it has been proven a political fallacy that old folks dying changes anything - they are replaced, they don't disappear.

Britain is pretty unique though in that the post war and early 60's baby boom have made up a substantial slab of the population for a long time and resultingly have had policy crafted for them.

Due to policy being orientated towards them (for political ends) they have amassed wealth/assets (on average- right to buy being a prime example) and other generations have been put into more precarious situations, due to their policy needs being antithetical to the larger cohort.

This should in turn result in a policy change in the future when that cohort is less prevelant. From recollection Labour would have won majorities amongst the working age population at the last two general elections, if your retirees in the future are broke they are not going to vote for policies that help out the rich explicitly.

I would imagine the Conservative party will comport itself to be more interventionist in the future (while keeping the kleptocracy engine running). This current iteration almost feels like a last sacking by the invaders and salting of the crops before some poor saps need to do some rebuilding. The major issue is how long the 'ravaging' goes on for with the olds consent and what we're left with afterwards.

I'm guessing it's going to be seriously fucking grim.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Britain is pretty unique though in that the post war and early 60's baby boom have made up a substantial slab of the population for a long time and resultingly have had policy crafted for them.

Due to policy being orientated towards them (for political ends) they have amassed wealth/assets (on average- right to buy being a prime example) and other generations have been put into more precarious situations, due to their policy needs being antithetical to the larger cohort.

This should in turn result in a policy change in the future when that cohort is less prevelant. From recollection Labour would have won majorities amongst the working age population at the last two general elections, if your retirees in the future are broke they are not going to vote for policies that help out the rich explicitly.

I would imagine the Conservative party will comport itself to be more interventionist in the future (while keeping the kleptocracy engine running). This current iteration almost feels like a last sacking by the invaders and salting of the crops before some poor saps need to do some rebuilding. The major issue is how long the 'ravaging' goes on for with the olds consent and what we're left with afterwards.

I'm guessing it's going to be seriously fucking grim.

The mindset for all of them is all about short term profiteering - there is no vision or strategy beyond that.  That is not just politicians, it’s businesses small and large, it’s media, it’s everyone with a vestige of control over their own future.  We’re like savages. No one gives a fuck. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why?

How does that cohort become less prevalent in dictating policy? Has Britain fundamentally changed inheritance tax the last 10 years? 

Nope, but a) there will be less olds once those particular cohorts errode out b) the young generations will have have been eroding some of that inheritance due to their more (on average) economically structured lives c) they will have lived through that experience over a greater period of their existence and voting intention is often dictated by lived experience/previous voting patterns.

This is not a fait accompli but it does feel like a direction of travel we may end up at solely by making younger generations poorer.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

That political power will be enhanced by a progressively poorer (individually and collectively) electorate?

That a more interventionist approach will be welcomed by those who have less wealth/assets in the aggregate. 

One way this doesn't work out however is that people in private rented accommodation are less likely to vote (due to registering being more difficult when moving more often) and alot more people will be in the private rented sector.

So we'll see.

13 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

“Monstrous regiments of lefties….” 

Alisson Pearson from behind the Torygraph paywall. 

Left or right she is a bit dim tho. Anyone with eyes and ears can tell that.  Really is time for me to go live off grid in a cabin in the woods.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pete said:

Left or right she is a bit dim tho. Anyone with eyes and ears can tell that.  Really is time for me to go live off grid in a cabin in the woods.  

It's all I think about these days, living in Britain feels like a constant wait for good times which never come.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

Was scrolling Twitter first thing and the general consensus is we’re fucked and to expect the worst. Nice way to start the day. 

As Anubis posted she’s appointed a Tax Payers Alliance apparatchik to Chief Economic Advisor and has filled the cabinet with head banging ERG cunts. 

Fucking off somewhere remote sounds good. 

46 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Was scrolling Twitter first thing and the general consensus is we’re fucked and to expect the worst. Nice way to start the day. 

As Anubis posted she’s appointed a Tax Payers Alliance apparatchik to Chief Economic Advisor and has filled the cabinet with head banging ERG cunts. 

Fucking off somewhere remote sounds good. 

Former leader of the ERG as Northern Ireland minister. That will go down well with the nationalist community.

This has all the hallmarks of going bad very quickly. Cabinet of no talent, two thirds of your MPs not voting for you and culling the supporters of your election rival. Along with her being completely shit this is going to be a car crash, with the public in the back seat of the car without a seatbelt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's all I think about these days, living in Britain feels like a constant wait for good times which never come.

A century of two world wars has created a "mustn't grumble" culture that has lowered the expectations of the middle class - politicians have been able to become complacent, in addition to their talentlessness. 

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

…,with the public in the back seat of the car without a seatbelt.

Looking at this tweet and the anecdotes posted underneath it, I cant help but feel that a sizeable minority (surely?) of the public will happily throw themselves at the windscreen.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

This has all the hallmarks of going bad very quickly. Cabinet of no talent, two thirds of your MPs not voting for you and culling the supporters of your election rival. Along with her being completely shit this is going to be a car crash, with the public in the back seat of the car without a seatbelt.

The Tories can't even rebrand themselves. They voted for the continuity candidate who praised 'her friend Boris' in her speech and got a round of applause, mostly from MPs who helped oust him. 

All the same frustrations and anger are still there simmering and will bubble up, there'll be no honeymoon period because everyone already thinks she's a dickhead. She's got no 'cult' following like Johnson had, no Red Wall. She's fucked.