You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Aug 22-26 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Aug 22:

Man Utd 2 L 1. Fuming. It’s one of those results that will rankle for years to come. We’ve had several of them at this place over the years. It’s not losing there that stays with me. We’ve had loads of defeats there when they were good and we weren’t and not one of them really stayed with me. They kind of blend into one big massive turd really. No regrets about those ones. 

It’s these needless ones that really hang around like a bad smell. The games when you know we’re miles better than them and we should be beating them comfortably. What we saw last season was an exception, I’m not expecting us to put five past them every time. We should be winning by two or three though for the most part, such is the gulf between the two teams now.

Even with all the injuries we should have been spanking them tonight. Brentford put four past them, Brighton outplayed them and won, because United are shite. But then right now even shite can cause us problems. This was so much like the Fulham game in all kinds of ways. I’ll reference this more in the report so won’t labour the point here. Basically United just did what Fulham did and it worked. 

Klopp didn’t think the performance was as bad as the Fulham one. I thought it was worse. We created plenty of chances against Fulham despite being shite. Tonight we didn’t create as much (probably because there was no Nunez to call on this time) and I thought we were worse defensively. That first United goal is so, so, so fucking bad. Trent half arsing it and Virgil not even doing that. No wonder Milner lost his shit. 

Alisson playing dodgeball wasn’t great either, he completely bought the dummy by Sancho. I don’t think Milner did though. Milner knew there was a risk of that happening but he had to try to make a block in case the shot did come. Him diving in probably stopped Sancho shooting and forced the drag back. 

Milner has done the right thing there, but he’ll have been expecting back up that never arrived. Virg had his hands behind his back and was rooted to the spot even before Sancho collected the ball. I can’t get my around it. It gets worse every time I see it. Trent really needed a fucking rocket as well though, but Milner was busy laying the law down to Van Dijk.

We’re not used to seeing stuff like that but I don’t see it as a big deal. It’s normal for players to do that in bad moments and I’d be more worried if they just accepted it. I wish Milner was five years younger though, because he looked like an old man out there at times tonight. Mind you, so did Trent and he’s only 23.

Such a wretched night. Not only did we lose and continue our worrying start, but we allowed them to pick themselves up off the floor and regain some self respect after being ridiculed for two weeks. It’s galling seeing them swaggering around like they’re Manchester United again and have turned some kind of corner. You’re still shit lads, it’s just that tonight we were worse.

Their fans were as loathsome as expected. The full repertoire of anti scouse shite was pouring out from them all night. Weren’t they supposed to be boycotting this match or walking out or something? Guess walk outs only happen when they’re getting fucking pasted. There were more Hillsborough chants than they was anti-Glazer stuff and that just about sums that fan base up more than anything. I hope the Glazers stay there forever and bleed the cunts dry, because no set of supporters would deserve that more.

It was TLW’s 23rd birthday today. It’s also my 13th wedding anniversary, which I only remembered this morning (my wife didn’t remember either so I avoided the doghouse). Now it’s memorable for all the wrong reasons though. Nice one Reds. Pricks.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic