You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Where please? Can’t see anything on Twitter or The Athletic. 

Quotes on twitter are from an interview he has done with the BBC. 

Doesn't expect us to be busy. Apparently we are assessing our options and may do something opportunist like Diaz last Jan. 

Hope that is crap and they are more proactive otherwise they can likely forget about their summer targets! If they havent woken up to how bad our midfield is then god help us. 

Hopefully he is no longer in the loop.

8 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Quotes on twitter are from an interview he has done with the BBC. 

Doesn't expect us to be busy. Apparently we are assessing our options and may do something opportunist like Diaz last Jan. 

Hope that is crap and they are more proactive otherwise they can likely forget about their summer targets! If they havent woken up to how bad our midfield is then god help us. 

Hopefully he is no longer in the loop.

Hmmm, I suppose he’s hardy likely to give any exclusives to the BBC when his own employee charges people £8 per month for the privilege. 

These are the quotes anyway. I’m taking it as a positive he hasn’t outright denied anything / anybody. 

98ECCB4B-70B5-40E6-9CF0-BB2304B9BD3B.png

02068868-F565-436B-890A-F1F670451973.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Hmmm, I suppose he’s hardy likely to give any exclusives to the BBC when his own employee charges people £8 per month for the privilege. 

These are the quotes anyway. I’m taking it as a positive he hasn’t outright denied anything / anybody. 

98ECCB4B-70B5-40E6-9CF0-BB2304B9BD3B.png

02068868-F565-436B-890A-F1F670451973.jpeg

The headline quote was him saying he certainly didn't expect us to be busy.

Hopefully that is based on him being ill informed or the club trying to not look too desperate. It would be ridiculous for them not to act unless the summer signings are not CL dependent. 

Hopefully your right with the positivity. 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Doesn't he realise that Dortumund (2 points off the CL), Benfica (fighting for the title) and Fiorentina (10th in Seri.....actually fuck Fiorentina) should just sell us their players when we want.

No one expects them to not fight to keep their players until the summer. That is obvious. 

However signing no players now and waiting until the summer to make our "a list" signings could well be foolhardy unless we have an ironclad agreement in Jan that it is not CL dependent.

With Fernandez, as Benfica are supposedly making it known that any club would still need to pay Fernandez's release clause whether he goes now or in the summer perhaps a deal for Fernandez could be done now. Our leverage may well not be any stronger in the summer. 

2 hours ago, an tha said:

If we haven't sorted the midfield shitshow out by the summer and added at least two really good midfielders then it is simply negligence, gross negligence at that.

The midfield rebuild ideally starts in Jan.

Bajcetic starting today could mean that we see him as a realistic option.

It would be interesting to see him in a three with Thiago and Henderson. Might help give Fabinho a kick up the arse too.

Arthur Melo is back too.

I genuinely don't expect us to sign anyone in January. We rarely do.

43 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

It would be interesting to see him in a three with Thiago and Henderson. Might help give Fabinho a kick up the arse too.

Arthur Melo is back too.

We have rarely been as badly needing a midfielder as we do now. 

27 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Feels like ages since we were even linked with an attacker. Only Gakpo comes to mind and I get the feeling that’s more agent / paper talk rather than concrete interest. 

To be fair to the journalists, we've spent heavily on the attack in the last 12 months.

35 minutes ago, Mook said:

To be fair to the journalists, we've spent heavily on the attack in the last 12 months.

We are still short numbers wise though.

We've seen Mane, Origi and Minamino leave and signed Diaz and Nunez to replace them. You could argue that Fabio Carvalho is the Minamino level replacement but he looks like he's still got a long way to go from what I've seen so far.

52 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Moukoko

Ah, yes. I see he's allegedly been asking for guarantees on game time. If so, I'd imagine he re-signs with Dortmund.

15 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We are still short numbers wise though.

We've seen Mane, Origi and Minamino leave and signed Diaz and Nunez to replace them. You could argue that Fabio Carvalho is the Minamino level replacement but he looks like he's still got a long way to go from what I've seen so far.

IMO, Origi and Minamino were no loss really. They obviously both played their parts in the early rounds of the domestic cups brilliantly, we should have enough depth whoever is playing to beat Preston, Cardiff, Shrewsbury & Norwich. 

We miss Jota. I know he wasn't at his best in the 2nd half of last season, he'd scored 12 goals (League 11 & CL 1) after the same amount of games last season.

A shame Kaide Gordon can't get himself fit and this season is maybe a year too early for Doak. Even Curtis Jones making an appearance wide left would be very helpful.

I know he had a decent World Cup, something about Gakpo doesn’t convince me. 

The Dutch league obviously isn’t the greatest of quality, neither were the countries he scored against in the World Cup (Senegal, Ecuador, Qatar). 

I might be wrong, I likely will be, he feels more closer to Steven Bergwijn or Dusan Tadic than Arjen Robben or Marc Overmars. 

3EA541D5-BDBC-4889-A557-B9CDB3A2F5D2.png

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I know he had a decent World Cup, something about Gakpo doesn’t convince me. 

The Dutch league obviously isn’t the greatest of quality, neither were the countries he scored against in the World Cup (Senegal, Ecuador, Qatar). 

I might be wrong, I likely will be, he feels more closer to Steven Bergwijn or Dusan Tadic than Arjen Robben or Marc Overmars. 

3EA541D5-BDBC-4889-A557-B9CDB3A2F5D2.png

I didn't think he looked all that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Arthur Melo is back too.

If it all goes wrong then we ask for what we get then IMO.

The need for midfield improvements is fucking massive and for me too much is needed for it to be all done in summer.

Not doing something in Jan is IMO an unnecessary gamble.

I wonder how long it will be before Milner is forced to start because the usual suspects are unavailable/Klopp feels he can't trust them.